Thermal vs Night Vision

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Thermal vs Night Vision

Post by ratpaker » 07 Jan 2020, 11:33 am

Guys...I represent spectra tactical and we import the pard brand into Australia.
I have just started using a pard hand held spotter.
The sa series thermal scopes will be here before the end of January.
We have a cheaper 19mm sensor version coming as well as some of the top of the range 45mm sensor versions with built in laser range finder.
Expect a price under 5k for top of the line versions...Will confirm pricing after they are landed and all duties etc are paid.
If you have any direct questions please give me a call on 0420363045 regarding pard night vision and I will answer what I can.
Cheers Neil
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Jan 2020, 11:55 am

ratpacker expect a call about an nv007 in the next few days from me as soon as my home ph is back online :thumbsup:

a good reason for having a mobile, not :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 07 Jan 2020, 12:00 pm

Hey Neil. Once it’s available, any info up here would be great, especially features and any footage available. Thanks
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2020, 12:04 pm

Rat packer. I can’t afford another 7-8 for my next scope that I’m considering for a second rifle/shotgun. Thanks for the update. We look fwd to updates and reviews esp videos in real hunting situation....understand that if you are busy it may take a while before you can get your gear out for tests in the scrub. Meanwhile, Video of cattle and calves in a little paddock is better than nothing at all
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ratpaker » 07 Jan 2020, 12:34 pm

I will upload some footage tonight when I get home.
Pard 007 is in stock.
650 posted and insured to anywhere in Australia or pick up in Melb metro area..$600.
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 07 Jan 2020, 12:38 pm

G’day Neil

Mate I am very close to pulling the trigger on a thermal, would be interested to see what you have though prior to this. I will watch with interest mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Jan 2020, 12:41 pm

Have tried to find some specs and indicative prices on these mate however to no avail. Any chance you can point me in the right direction please Neil.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by ratpaker » 07 Jan 2020, 1:18 pm

ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 07 Jan 2020, 1:23 pm

Thank you mate. Specs seem pretty good. Very interested in pricing mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Jan 2020, 1:32 pm

How do they mount on rifle and is mounting hardware included?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2020, 1:46 pm

I remember seeing a pro mo vid on a pard thermal and it appears to come with a alum bracket that firmly screws to the underside of the scope. Then this bracket clamps over the top of a pic or weaver rail. I prefer to have a full length rail on my rifle instead of two separate bases
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2020, 1:50 pm

Prob be something like this
Attachments
9E5C5231-7FFE-4EA9-9828-EB1BDF2405E9.jpeg
9E5C5231-7FFE-4EA9-9828-EB1BDF2405E9.jpeg (124.16 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm

The other side of my ally base has quick detach levers ( not that I ever need to remove it )
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ratpaker » 07 Jan 2020, 2:04 pm

Guys they come with their own mount to suit a picatinny rail.
They run on 18650 rechargeable batteries which we also sell , genuine Panasonic ones for $10.50 each.
They usually ship to us with a battery installed so they really are complete and ready to go as long as you have a picatinny rail on your rifle.
An external charger is highly recommended as charging batteries in the unit itself can possibly be catastrophic if the battery should leak during the charging process.
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 07 Jan 2020, 2:12 pm

I remember hearing that about the charging of Pard units when Ozzie reviewed the Pard008. If they are competitive cost wise I may be a customer Neil.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2020, 2:46 pm

This is a pic of the walkabout headlight I use the led is powerful and strictly red with high and low setting. I find it critically important especially inside 200 m ( the final stages of my stalk ) I just use a led lenser white for other times so I don’t drain the batts on my red light It’s poeered by 2:18650 rechargeable s . Walking often 25 to 5o m from pigs iv never been busted with my red headlamp. I also strongly recommend spending a week practicing with the thermal prior to a hunt and familiarisation with all the buttons and then practice same in the dark. Remember in grade 3 or 4 at school we learned multiplication tables by repetition training ..... same goes here. Practice button function as much as possible so your not stuffing up big time in the field when the pressure is on. Nothing worse than looking fwd to seeing the vid and later realising it’s not there or u have accidentally deleted it or u realise under stress that u just took a single photo instead. A common mistake that I continue to make is that after the first shot when the video is still rolling I’m walking up to the dead pig or looking for another and I forgot to turn the video off. Later when down loading I have massive video files to deal with. It’s also really important to thoroughly read the instructions manual . And if it’s only online . Get it printed and keep a copy in the glovebox when u go hunting
Attachments
18F0A9C2-A0A9-4C45-8246-5A8840D4F859.png
18F0A9C2-A0A9-4C45-8246-5A8840D4F859.png (30.4 KiB) Viewed 5419 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ratpaker » 07 Jan 2020, 6:04 pm

pardthermal.jpg
pardthermal.jpg (102.79 KiB) Viewed 5407 times

Ok, filmed on my smartphone so not the best copy, this is from the g25lrf modelhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8xxDEp9W0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avmi9wut0PA
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 07 Jan 2020, 7:43 pm

Interesting specs. I'm curious about how many zeroing options are available as it doesn't specify. It would be great if they had some type of quick release for a picatinny rail to make it easier to swap between rifles. It would also be nice if the snorkel eyepiece was easy to remove as required.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ratpaker » 08 Jan 2020, 3:14 pm

Well so far we only have the spotter as a demo, the SA series is in huge demand overseas so we are waiting on a delivery of those.
Been promised delivery before the end of January so here's hoping!
Will know a lot more about them once we have them in hand...gee....we might have to do some extensive "field testing" involving many hours of real world hunting....hehehe ;-)
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 08 Jan 2020, 3:57 pm

Where you based Ratpaker? Get you out and test it against some Pulsar and Night-tech stuff maybe
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ratpaker » 08 Jan 2020, 4:15 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:Where you based Ratpaker? Get you out and test it against some Pulsar and Night-tech stuff maybe

Would love to, just so we know where we stand...but Im in Victoria, near Dandenong, when the SA series scopes arrive, we might have to do a demo night... :drinks:
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 08 Jan 2020, 4:20 pm

Check your messages
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 18 Jan 2020, 2:58 pm

For those who are interested I ended up purchasing the ATN Mars 4, 1.5-5x, 384x288 thermal. Entry level thermal. Would have loved to have had a look through one prior to purchasing however near on impossible when you live regional. Have done a lot of research though and figure this is the best fit for me at this time., given there is quite a wait to get the Pulsar Thermion. Should get the ATN in a week or two.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tilb004 » 18 Jan 2020, 7:13 pm

Hi Jimtom
Thermal is the way to go if you have the spare 5k + but for me i went the night tech thermal monocular from nighthunter .com.and the pard 007 nv.
With the night tech i can spot foxes to about 250m if they are on the move .
can spot cow at my neighbours place at 1 km.
Monocular $1600,pard 007 $700.
Its the most i can afford at the moment , when i save some more cash might get some flasher stuff..
The system works well as you can scan the paddocks with the the thermal then move in to a shooting distance with your nv.
Its a lot easier to put the monocular up to your eye than your rifle to scan paddocks.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Tilb
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2020, 7:34 pm

That sounds like a good plan tilb. If it’s not to wet and I manage to get out next week I’ll be doing the usual finding with my thermal binos and there will b times I take my bushmaster fitted with my new pulsar nv. I’m very curious to see what it’s like locking onto game sub 100 m. I won’t bother trying to locate stuff beyond that. No point when I’m finding with the binos. Well done jimtom. Sounds Like you will have some fun times pre hunt practicing in readiness for the real action in the field. I had been thinking about your decision on what rifle to use the new scope on. I tend to think the 6.5 because it has a flatter traj and it’s so hard to judge distance with thermal. And just use the 300 AAC for the daytime quad missions , Either way. U will work it out
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 18 Jan 2020, 7:43 pm

G’day Tilb004. Mate I had thought of getting a thermal monocular and a night vision scope. I have been thinking about monoculars, May progress to that in the future. Thanks for letting me know what you do, definitely food for thought.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 18 Jan 2020, 7:47 pm

:drinks: Thanks BLR243, will try it out on the little
Blackout in the first instance mate and see how it goes. Will prob give it a crack on the 6.5 also to compare the two. I have much to learn mate. Would be handy if I had someone to learn off. Looks I will be learning the hard way, bouncing around paddocks in the middle of the night solo. Sometimes the best lessons are learned the hard way eh. Thanks for the input and help along the way mate. Appreciated. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2020, 9:11 pm

Jim Tom I think you are in north q ? I only did one hunt roughly charters towers I think. Chital and pigs. But I done ooodles of cape York bow hunting Tell us a bit about the size of places you hunt. Grazing or crops , creeks dams , water courses and what pigs do and how they behave in your area. I t will be interesting to see how you adapt to the night change in your neck of the woods. I was always a morning and arvo stalker and a night time sleeper after a bit of a spotlight. If I got bored in the middle of the day I would flush pigs out of thickets on the two wheel bike .... how I survived those days at moonie I will never know. Now the only daytime hunting I do is in the peak of summer...... mostly I bludge all day in the shade and try to force myself some shut eye so I can go hard at night. I have mostly worked out how I hunt the dark down here safely and effectively , Initially I had a problem with bloody hundreds of pigs jammed into a thick patch of scrub it’s so thick you can’t even see your face in front of your hand in there in the middle of the day , bloody impossible to see or move quietly in there It was so frustrating knowing how many were in there and right under my nose but never being able to get at them. I always thought about them and never gave up hope that one day I would work out how to get them. I tried grain baits to draw them out but they turned up their noses in disgust at my offer. Eventually I worked out they were feeding out into the open dirt paddocks in the dark of night. And I mean just dirt nothing else. I never even thought to glass those paddocks at night .... I only did so after a random chat with the owner gave me an idea. The owners know absolutely everything about all the animals but sometimes you just have to drag it out of them. It surprised the hell out of me that they did that like why would they wanna be there. Right out in the open sometimes a k from the safety of the scrub. So I really did strike gold when I worked them out.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 18 Jan 2020, 9:55 pm

Yeah mate not far from Charters Towers, however pretty hard to get into anywhere. I go up to the Gulf a few times a year. Terrain varies from dryish savanah with dams, to thick rubber vine along the rivers, mangroves, open salt pans, as well as swamps. Most of my hunting until now has been done off the Ute shooting what the dogs don’t catch, hunting on quad, or stalking through swamps.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 10:43 am

Couple of tips here if you are night walking. Remembering that when we are day walking our eyes are in constant connection with our soroundings and as we move forward the opportunities to see pigs is ever increaseing and changing as our view around the edges of bushes improves. And if we are really onto it walking slowly glassing and stopping obviously we are going to see more pigs ...... but when I did two or three hunts with a thermal scope prior to thermal binos I had to force myself to stop and scan as often as possible Terrain and thickness of scrub obviously dictated how often I needed to do this. It’s easy to see that at night if I’m stopping and scanning every 20 m for 5/10 seconds that I’m not at all in constant connection with my surroundings So I used to do a step counting method of forcing to stop and look eg every 20/50 / 100 steps depending on conditions and vegetation... this definitely helped me to increase the amount of looking and improved my detection rate. Also if standing and bring the rifle to the shoulder and useing both arms to support rifle while scanning and if done often enough it’s tiring and could encourage you to scan less. I quickly adapted to this by by resting the butt o f the stock on my shoulder , rotating the axis of the rifle 90 degrees so that the flat part of the stock sits on my shoulder ... then both your arms are closer to your body and it’s lesss physically demanding when scanning the bush for game
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics