So many scopes so little time

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: So many scopes so little time

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Dec 2019, 1:26 pm

sungazer wrote:Deno if you have a look at the 50m 22LR target you shoot a round of 25 scoring shots, 1 shot on each target the centre is a dot the size of what a ball point pen would leave perhaps a tad bigger but not much if any. There are also sighter targets around the edge..

So you see you have to have a pretty high power scope to see that centre of the target very well. I prefer not to have the dot type reticles but rather the thin lines if you have reasonable eyesight.

Yes the centre is bloody small hey.
That’s my delimma with reticles.
I want something simple and thin for just that reason. I don’t really want bdc or anything fancy. In a perfect world I would get a fine cross with just moa dots on it. I don’t think I want the ones with all the hold over points. I’d like to learn using the turrets

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by JimTom » 04 Dec 2019, 2:41 pm

Anther vote here for the Meopta Meopro mate. In my honest opinion they are good value for money. I own several.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Dec 2019, 6:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:Something to keep in mind perhaps for a .22LR, if you want to reach out to longer ranges, you need lots of elevation adjustment, 100-minutes to go from a 100m zero out to 500m, that's 400 clicks on most scopes with quarter-minute clicks. When you get up into very high magnification you tend to lose adjustment range. I'd have to check, but I think my 10-40x50 only has 40MoA compared to the 105MoA of the 4.5-18x40. You can buy very expensive minute-adjustable mounts though that circumvents this.

Very true, the 32x Nightforce has about 50 MOA of elevation and the 42x has 40 MOA. Still enough to get you out to 500 shooting a 223. You may need a canted rail to get you out to 1000 metres.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 04 Dec 2019, 7:36 pm

For the rimfire comps you are saying that you might have a crack at with your new Lithgow forget about mounting a Nightforce BR, these scopes are optically brilliant but are bloody heavy and you don't want all that weight sitting on top of your rifle when trying to shoot offhand plus there are rifle weight limits to adhere to. 99% of silhouette and field rifle shooters will use Leupold scopes for their reliable tracking, shooting these disciplines you will use the elevation turret a LOT, they are lighter than most scopes in the same magnification category, optics are more than adequate and their lifetime warranty that others are now offering but Leupold have had it since forever. My silhouette rifles all have either Leupold VX2 6-18 x40's or VX3 6•5-20x40 EFR scopes, one rifle is using a fixed 12, all these scopes have enough elevation adjustment to get a 22lr with standard velocity ammo to 100m or centrefires to 500m without canted bases or adjustable rings, my preference is the fine duplex reticle although these can be had with a dot reticle.
On Usedguns.com there are a couple of Leupold EFR's for sale, not mine but I have looked at them but don't really need them atm :allegedly: :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-12-04-19-14-48.png
Screenshot_2019-12-04-19-14-48.png (174.62 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 04 Dec 2019, 8:51 pm

Strikey, that is for Silhouette if it was a Bench rest comp then the weight doesn't matter. I would say that reliable and prolonged tracking ability is one of the Nightforces main strengths. In the f class ranks there are a few Leupolds but very few and they are know to have to be serviced regularly because of tracking problems. The NF just go and go f class is constant elevation and windage adjustments. elevation can be from 3moa to 27 moa in a single comp and then back to the start the next week or mid week.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Strikey » 04 Dec 2019, 9:29 pm

sungazer wrote:Strikey, that is for Silhouette if it was a Bench rest comp then the weight doesn't matter. I would say that reliable and prolonged tracking ability is one of the Nightforces main strengths. In the f class ranks there are a few Leupolds but very few and they are know to have to be serviced regularly because of tracking problems. The NF just go and go f class is constant elevation and windage adjustments. elevation can be from 3moa to 27 moa in a single comp and then back to the start the next week or mid week.

Correct if I am wrong, but ol'mate bought a Lithgow 101 which is 22lr,so what relevance does recommending a popular FClass scope have to do with shooting a rimfire to 100m and his budget, Rimfire Benchrest still has rifle weight limits in the rules. And yes I have shot FClass and had a Nightforce BR 8-32, if I was to get back into it seriously that would be my scope of choice but for rimfire silhouette, field rifle and benchrest a Leupold is hard to go past :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 04 Dec 2019, 9:52 pm

Well there are plenty of people using them in small bore 22LR Bench Rest comps since the competition model has come out they even use that and some higher end march scopes as well. Thats only out to 50 yrds.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bman940 » 05 Dec 2019, 1:57 am

I have never had an issue with any Meopta eye pieces ingereing with bolt thro and I have 5 different Meopta scopes on 5 different makes of rifles. Zero issues and fantastic glass. Their new Optika6 line has great features and an even better price. I have a 3-18x50 on my deer rifle that took 4 deer this year. The longest shot ranged 327 yards. Here's a pic of my deer rifle and Optika6 3-18x50 on it. Winchester Model 70 action done by Hill Country Rifle.

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd ... _5036.jpeg
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2019, 4:33 am

bman940 wrote:I have never had an issue with any Meopta eye pieces ingereing with bolt thro and I have 5 different Meopta scopes on 5 different makes of rifles. Zero issues and fantastic glass. Their new Optika6 line has great features and an even better price. I have a 3-18x50 on my deer rifle that took 4 deer this year. The longest shot ranged 327 yards. Here's a pic of my deer rifle and Optika6 3-18x50 on it. Winchester Model 70 action done by Hill Country Rifle.

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd ... _5036.jpeg

What caliber is the Winchester ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Dec 2019, 6:30 am

Strikey wrote:[

Correct if I am wrong, but ol'mate bought a Lithgow 101 which is 22lr,so what relevance does recommending a popular FClass scope have to do with shooting a rimfire to 100m and his budget, Rimfire Benchrest still has rifle weight limits in the rules. And yes I have shot FClass and had a Nightforce BR 8-32, if I was to get back into it seriously that would be my scope of choice but for rimfire silhouette, field rifle and benchrest a Leupold is hard to go past :thumbsup:

Leupolds were well represented at rimfire competitions in the 80s and 90s, unfortunately now you are more likely to see a fixed power 36x Weaver than a Leupold. I have nothing against Leupold, I have five of them but couldn't recommend one for competition.

If I were convinced that I was correct in my competition for example, using Reloder powder and Sierra Matchking bullets but everyone beating me was using ADI and Bergers. I would have to consider if I had made the right choice. If you go to a competition you can see what choice they made in optics, it is plain to see. These guys will use what ever works the best, money is no impediment.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mark223308 » 23 Dec 2019, 5:51 pm

Be wary of Bushnell these days there not the brand they were , many built in China .
Mark223308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2019, 9:12 am

Mark223308 wrote:Be wary of Bushnell these days there not the brand they were , many built in China .

Nothing wrong with being made in China these days, they probably built the machines that they export to companies to make their "not made in China" products with.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Dec 2019, 12:11 pm

Well being built in China is no issue... I have a 4wd that is built in China and an Athlon Argos 6x24 scope.

What's more important is how they treat you as a customer, I had an issue with the athlon scope.. turrets stopped working about 18 months after I bought it. Emailed the seller and he replied within the hour and suggested the best way to go for me, I sent the scope on Monday via post. Even though Christmas, I had a replacement scope in my hands on Friday... I wonder if meopta or even Leopold/vortex would be that good in Australia.

Ofcourse if you buy a Alibaba scope then no warranty on that...If it works it works, if not.. just buy another. Or but 2 to start with :sarcasm:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2019, 2:08 pm

Mark223308 wrote:Be wary of Bushnell these days there not the brand they were , many built in China .

Hi Mark257458,

Have you had any issues with Bushnell scopes?

I bought a $150 Visionking 6-24x Chinese scope six months ago and have been trying to make it fail. First I bolted it to a rimfire and have wound the elevation up and down constantly. I have now bolted it to a hunting weight 7mm Rem Mag but nothing has fallen off it. I am now going to bolt it to a big bore to see if that can shake something loose. I have to admit that the thing is half usable, granted it doesn't have outstanding glass but good enough to hit something.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Dec 2019, 10:24 pm

What did you pay for your visionking. And what mag
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2019, 10:58 pm

Ziad wrote:What did you pay for your visionking. And what mag

How did you read "Visionking" in his post without reading the "$150" and the "6-24x" wrapped around the brand name?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Dec 2019, 6:20 am

Hmm....I swear I didn't see it..... I dunno. Maybe I am going blind, or was super tired. No I don't think he edited his post. Sorry
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2019, 6:23 am

Ziad wrote:Hmm....I swear I didn't see it..... I dunno. Maybe I am going blind, or was super tired. No I don't think he edited his post. Sorry

No worries, Ziad :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Dec 2019, 8:09 am

A funny irony right there Ziad... :lol:

All the info you ask about, as Blade says, is wrapped around the only word you see 'VisionKing"... :lol:

VisionKing... :lol: ...just had to say it again...VisionKing... :lol:
Or...The King of Vision... :lol:

Maybe not enough egg in your nogg... :unknown:
Or hsve i got that backwards...
:lol:
:)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Dec 2019, 9:06 am

Do they make reading glasses...i think i need 10x80 reading glasses
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Dec 2019, 5:57 pm

Ziad wrote:What did you pay for your visionking. And what mag

Yes, $150 and it uses a 30mm tube, 8.5-25x50. I was thinking instead of being a scope snob and bagging Chinese optics I should spend a little bit of money and check one out. The glass is a little milky at higher magnification and it has an ugly black finish but the adjustment is OK and I have not been able to make it fail.

If you added this scope to a budget rifle you would have a pretty capable package for a tiny budget. I did not think you could build anything worthwhile and be able to retail it for $150 but it has suprised me.
Last edited by SCJ429 on 25 Dec 2019, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2019, 6:17 pm

I ordered a Visionking 10-40x56 some months ago, mainly to see if 35mm tubes offer any benefits. I chased them up last week with the response that Border Force had sent it back to them without giving any reason. The two instances I've had import problems, BF wrote to me asking me what I wanted to do about it. It's possible the address was unreadable so they couldn't contact me I guess. They've sent it again so hopefully it'll show up next year.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Dec 2019, 7:14 pm

I will be interested in your thoughts once you do receive it. I didn't want to order too high a power because the glass quality may not be good enough to give you a usable image at 40x. After seeing this scope you may be OK.

Mine took three weeks to arrive and the box it came in was ten times better than any Schmidt and Bender box. The Chinese have their packaging down pat.

I am suprised that the scope has held up, I have deliberately been rough with it and moved the elevation and windage turrets far more than I would normally. It feels really heavy duty and robust, I am not sure it will be bothered by the recoil of a big bore.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2019, 7:54 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I will be interested in your thoughts once you do receive it. I didn't want to order too high a power because the glass quality may not be good enough to give you a usable image at 40x. After seeing this scope you may be OK.

Mine took three weeks to arrive and the box it came in was ten times better than any Schmidt and Bender box. The Chinese have their packaging down pat.

I am suprised that the scope has held up, I have deliberately been rough with it and moved the elevation and windage turrets far more than I would normally. It feels really heavy duty and robust, I am not sure it will be bothered by the recoil of a big bore.

I already have a cheap 10-40x50 scope that is fine. I think both are in the $300-350 range. I found it too much for a hunting rifle but it was great for load development. But I put it on my brother's Anschutz so I ordered the VK to save him having to get it back to me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Dec 2019, 8:18 pm

I only have one 34mm tube, which is a Schmidt and Bender. I don't see any better light transmission over a 30mm S&B or Nightforce, which is not to say the 34mm S&B isn't brilliant.

I do see these Chinese scopes as a good way to see if you like extra magnification. For $150 and you don't like it, you haven't lost much.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics