Vortex Crossfire accuracy problem

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Vortex Crossfire accuracy problem

Post by Shootermick » 22 Dec 2019, 6:56 pm

I put a used Vortex Crossfire 2 6-18x44 on my Howa mini action, only paid $125 on one of the used sites. Funds were tight at the time so I thought it’ll do for the short term, and if it’s any good it can stay there. Had the rifle for a while but have only just got a proper chance to zero it this arvo. It’s a 6.5 Grendel sporter barrel and I was only shooting 3 shots at a time to allow it to cool a bit. It didn’t perform very well, put a couple into 1.5 inches at 100 metres then throw one 3 inches or so mainly to the right. I’ll wear some of the blame for my average at times shooting, but even I’m capable of better than that. They weren’t really fliers, but worse than that. Everything is tight on the scope, mounts, etc. So, am I right to be thinking that a scope could play up like this?? Or is it just the operator??
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Vortex Crossfire accuracy problem

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2019, 7:06 pm

Shootermick wrote:I put a used Vortex Crossfire 2 6-18x44 on my Howa mini action, only paid $125 on one of the used sites. Funds were tight at the time so I thought it’ll do for the short term, and if it’s any good it can stay there. Had the rifle for a while but have only just got a proper chance to zero it this arvo. It’s a 6.5 Grendel sporter barrel and I was only shooting 3 shots at a time to allow it to cool a bit. It didn’t perform very well, put a couple into 1.5 inches at 100 metres then throw one 3 inches or so mainly to the right. I’ll wear some of the blame for my average at times shooting, but even I’m capable of better than that. They weren’t really fliers, but worse than that. Everything is tight on the scope, mounts, etc. So, am I right to be thinking that a scope could play up like this?? Or is it just the operator??

Can you borrow another scope and rings to try?
Vortex have a decent warranty I think, but it'd be good to rule out the rifle and the mounts before sending it back.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Dec 2019, 7:42 pm

Yes scopes can play up and cause result like that quite easily. If you can secure the gun firmly and then get an aim point through the scope and tap on the scope it is often apparent if there is a problem using this method.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Shootermick » 22 Dec 2019, 8:21 pm

sungazer wrote:Yes scopes can play up and cause result like that quite easily. If you can secure the gun firmly and then get an aim point through the scope and tap on the scope it is often apparent if there is a problem using this method.

Thanks, I’ll give this a go tomorrow and see what happens.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Dec 2019, 8:23 pm

More often than not the scope is OK and something else is the cause. Loose rings or mounts, bedding problem or shooter error.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Dec 2019, 1:46 pm

FWIW
I once owned a scope on a range rifle that would unexpectedly fire a "flier". Thinking it was a crook shot, I would fire again only for the shot to fall in the same place.
So, I would adjust the sight knobs and the following shot would appear Diagonally opposite the preceding two :cry: :evil:
Damn thing drove me crazy. The Wise Old Men at Belmont told me that the springs in the adjusting mechanism had lost their initial tension.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mark223308 » 23 Dec 2019, 5:40 pm

The Crossfire is the base range of the Vortex line and made in China a good economical scope would be a Leupold Freedom 4 to 12 for about five hundred .
Mark223308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 23 Dec 2019, 6:01 pm

If scopes can fail by a lot they can also fail by a little. Had a sako varmint 222 with a beautiful redfield 6-18 . Gun would shoot ok , inch and a half at best . I tried every load imaginable and it would improve. Not terrible , but not what it should be. Eventually changed to a new Leupold and first group went .3 inch. Every load shoot well. Scope was just slightly loose internally.
Last edited by deanp100 on 23 Dec 2019, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Dec 2019, 8:09 pm

Vortex have a lifetime warranty...transferable so no worries...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Mark223308 » 23 Dec 2019, 10:37 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Vortex have a lifetime warranty...transferable so no worries...

Doesnt really help if they just give you another Crossfire Chinese scope that wont perform does it ?
Mark223308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 24 Dec 2019, 7:16 am

RoginaJack wrote:Vortex have a lifetime warranty...transferable so no worries...

Good point. I’m not the original owner, but it might be worth a try to exchange it. Otherwise I might consider trying a new Zerotech, they seem to be getting ok reviews.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Dec 2019, 3:29 pm

I've had no problems with my Crossfires...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 24 Dec 2019, 3:57 pm

I have the exact same scope. With no problems. I had it on my 7mm 08 but have just recently put it on my CZ 6.5 Grendel. I also have Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel with the sporter. It would usually throw a shot 2 to 3 inches out of the group. Usually the first shot. But it Seemed to get better after I had fired a couple of hundred rounds. Then I swapped it into Oryx chassis and haven't shot it much since. So it could be the rifle?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 24 Dec 2019, 4:04 pm

Cooper wrote:I have the exact same scope. With no problems. I had it on my 7mm 08 but have just recently put it on my CZ 6.5 Grendel. I also have Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel with the sporter. It would usually throw a shot 2 to 3 inches out of the group. Usually the first shot. But it Seemed to get better after I had fired a couple of hundred rounds. Then I swapped it into Oryx chassis and haven't shot it much since. So it could be the rifle?

That’s interesting. I’ve only put 40 rounds through my Grendel, and the first 20 were just playing around off a very ordinary rest, the second 20 the other day I was at a bench with front and rear bags though.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 24 Dec 2019, 8:33 pm

deanp100 wrote:If scopes can fail by a lot they can also fail by a little. Had a sako varmint 222 with a beautiful redfield 6-18 . Gun would shoot ok , inch and a half at best . I tried every load imaginable and it would improve. Not terrible , but not what it should be. Eventually changed to a new Leupold and first group went .3 inch. Every load shoot well. Scope was just slightly loose internally.

I clamped the rifle in the gun vice tonight and focused on a tree in the distance, then tapped, shook and tried to wobble/move the scope, but it all seemed good, only movement was was the whole gun. So, maybe it was just me..
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics