What scope would you recommend?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: What scope would you recommend?

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Dec 2019, 5:49 pm

FFP is more complicated and costly to make. I don't think buying a cheap scope with a FFP retical is going to end well. Get a fixed power scope if you want to range with your retical and you are on a small budget.

What do you think of the retical on your AR Bushnell?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Dec 2019, 6:05 pm

SCJ429 wrote:FFP is more complicated and costly to make. I don't think buying a cheap scope with a FFP retical is going to end well. Get a fixed power scope if you want to range with your retical and you are on a small budget.

What do you think of the retical on your AR Bushnell?

Don't know yet mate it's in the mail.

It might help with windage adjustments.

It was the best of the available ones for that brand/model of scope.
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Dec 2019, 6:18 pm

Just make sure your next FFP scope is a Nightforce so I get my commission and they continue to sponsor me. :drinks:

Cheers,
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Dec 2019, 6:29 pm

Denno wrote:[quote="SCJ429"

What sort of conditions are you shooting in where you need 30MOA of windage?

After all your talk about FFP you bought a SFP Bushnell. Will your next scopes retical be in the first focal plane?[/quote

I have no idea why you would need that much elevation. I found in my research that that amount would be plenty for target shooting.

And yes my next scope will more than likely be FFP because "after all my talk about FFP" I think I like it.

Sorry if I have gone contrary to your expert opinion but nothing you have said is really relevant to my cause. But thanks for trying. :thumbsup:

Besides, it's rather difficult to buy a decent scope for under $400 with FFP.
The Nikko Sterling 6-24x50 in FFP came in as a close second but was pipped by reputation.

30 minutes of elevation is not much on a .22LR. On the RPR due to its 30MoA rail, that full 30MoA of adjustment won't allow you zero it at 100m, or any closer than that.

Set the turrets to the centre of their travel, then mount the scope on the RPR and boresight it at 100m. Your reticle will be 30MoA below your boresight, that's almost 900mm low at 100m. To bring the reticle up to zero you need to wind the turret up more than 30MoA, the bore axis plus the bullet drop at 100m.

30 minutes of windage though would be extreme.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 26 Dec 2019, 8:12 pm

Perhaps changing the rail may be a better option. The 22LR is certainly not the gun I go for if I want to shoot stuff at 300-500 yrds. Perhaps for on paper to 300 on a good day. Never for anything else ok maybe a coke can.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 26 Dec 2019, 8:20 pm

sungazer wrote:Perhaps changing the rail may be a better option. The 22LR is certainly not the gun I go for if I want to shoot stuff at 300-500 yrds. Perhaps for on paper to 300 on a good day. Never for anything else ok maybe a coke can.

It's a great learning tool at roughly half-scale of centrefire shooting.
And plinking stuff at 300m+ is pretty good fun despite the learning experinxe :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 26 Dec 2019, 8:32 pm

But really I think it is more hit than miss. Depending on the size of your target and expectations I guess. I think my trajectory numbers are right but when I looked closer as I had only some real numbers at larger intervals but a 10yrd difference say 290 and 310 is like 2.5MOA each side of 300. So easy to get wrong without even all the human and environmental and real world stuff going on.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 26 Dec 2019, 9:24 pm

sungazer wrote:But really I think it is more hit than miss. Depending on the size of your target and expectations I guess. I think my trajectory numbers are right but when I looked closer as I had only some real numbers at larger intervals but a 10yrd difference say 290 and 310 is like 2.5MOA each side of 300. So easy to get wrong without even all the human and environmental and real world stuff going on.

That's what makes it more challenging :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics