Which Bushnell scope do you recommend exactly?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Which Bushnell scope do you recommend exactly?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 03 Jan 2020, 9:42 am

Hi guys

I hope that everyone had a great Christmas and a great New Year's Eve

I've done heaps of research regarding scopes lately
(2x weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about scopes)
(2x weeks ago I did not know 1x thing about scopes)
A lot of shooters have recommended for me to go with Bushnell
So many shooters talk so highly of Bushnell
So I'm definetely leaning towards Bushnell

I know what I exactly want in terms of specs:
- Magnification: 6-24
- Objective Lens: 50mm
- MOA v/s MRAD: MOA
- Fully multi coated
- FFP v/s SFP: SFP
- Adjustable objective v/s Side Focus: Side Focus

The only thing that I'm not sure about is which series of Bushnell to go with?
(Because from what I understand, there are a quite a few different series available, Xtreme, Elite, AR Optics, etc)

And so I'm wondering what you guys recommend exactly?
(In terms of series)

My budget is: $500 max
Purpose: Target Shooting at paper @ 50metres away mainly

Sorry to ask Lads
But yeah
It's a little hard to work out which series is better over the other etc

I hope your feedback can help
:)
:drinks:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Which Bushnell scope do you recommend exactly?

Post by allan » 03 Jan 2020, 10:57 am

Sounds like you're wanting to use this scope on a rim fire?

This one at $745.00 is a bit above your budget but fits your criteria in most respects. Click values are 1/4 MOA and 1/8 "may" be more suitable at 50 if you're putting it on a really accurate target rifle.

I have several Bushnell Elites (4500's in 6-24X40 now discontinued) - All are on rim fires and I'm very happy with them.

I have the Nitro 5-20X44 SFP MOA on a Lithgow LA101.

https://magnumsports.com.au/255/278/560 ... -30mm.html
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by CrackThump » 03 Jan 2020, 11:16 am

@50 mtrs.. use ironsights and save ya money for ammo..
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 03 Jan 2020, 11:19 am

That's correct Allan
On a rimfire. 22LR that's right
:-)

I've made great progress selecting a scope
I know what specs I want exactly
I know what brand I want

Just gotta choose which series to go with
That's the last hurdle

Would you say that the "Elite" series is the best series to go with?
I was looking at the "Trophy Xtreme" originally
In 6-24 x 50mm
(As it fits my budget a bit more)

But if the "Elite" series are like 10x times better
Then I may consider spending a tad more to get the Elite series perhaps

I guess I'm open minded when it comes to which series to go with exactly
:-)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 03 Jan 2020, 11:21 am

CrackThump;
For shooting paper at 50metres away
You don't reckon I should get the best scope out there yeah? Just something very basic you reckon?
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Jan 2020, 11:30 am

Research the athlon Argos btr series scopes, they are very good as well. Best of all their warranty is just awesome, lifetime (not so on the cheaper Bushnell... which are also Chinese made).

I got a brand new one for sale (warranty replacement) as i told you earlier.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 03 Jan 2020, 11:32 am

In the last thread you were dead set on a Leupold, now your dead set on a bushnell, do you live near a shop to go and look at these scopes? will the scope work on your rifle ie. will the bolt lift without hitting the eye piece surround the rear lens with the correct height rings, can you bring the scope far enough back for the eye relief to suite you, Leupold have a very slim eye piece compared to others and generally have generous eye relief, unless you know these things mail ordering a scope is going to be pointless as it may turn up and not work. You need to go into a shop with your rifle, check scope heights with whats going to suite you.

Is this the same .22 that you have shot a lot of to practice for a bigger rifle? have you been shooting it open sighted?

Otherwise I have had a Bushnell Legend 4.5-14x44 scope, and it was terrible in comparison to a vx-1 4-12x40 Leupold scope for clarity and glare. not to mention the 14 power on the Bushnell was equivalent to the 12 power on the Leupold

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 03 Jan 2020, 11:55 am

Ziad;
Thanks
I will look into it for sure

Am88:
That's right
I was leaning towards the Leupold's at the start that's true
Based on the research that I had done
Leupold's sounded absolutely fantastic
They sounded like the Bees Knees
But then so many people recommended the Bushnell's to me....
And I have this shooter friend as well
He's a bit of shooting Guru
He knows so much about shooting and rifles it's incredible
His got so much knowledge
I trust his knowledge a lot
And he swears by Bushnell's..
So that's why I'm leaning more towards Bushnell's right now
Plus the fact that so many people swear by Bushnell's

But thank you for your feedback though
You're honestly the only person who recommended Leupold over Bushnell to me

And yes
It's to go onto my .22LR Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jan 2020, 12:09 pm

Glad to see your learning bro. It's fun isn't it :crazy:

Have a google for the "Bushnell 2019 Catalogue" and "Bushnell 2019 Tactical Catalogue".

They will show you all the scopes with all the different reticles that are available for the different 'series'

Pick the ones that suit your needs' and price them. Then decide which one you want most.

For $500 you will probably only get an Elite or AR series but they don't come in 50mm objective.

From what I can see the only thing that really suits your specs is a nitro 6-24x50 SFP but even they are over $700

Everything is a compromise :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Am88 » 03 Jan 2020, 12:10 pm

The Legend was the worst scope I have purchased new, easily outdone by a redfield revenge or leupold Vx1. If you have a friend that is a shooter guru, and he has recommended bushnell, maybe ask him about the .308 and 6.5 creedmore as well from your other thread. But i stand by what I say about going to the shop (or guru mate), with your rifle, check you ring heights, check your eye relief, and see if you actually like it for yourself. You may not like bushnell, everyone's eyes are different, an example of mine, I would much rather use my 4-12x40 leupold vx-1, then I would my 4-12x50 Swarovski Z3, I dont like the eye relief on the Swarovski and the eye box is terrible. Not much room for error, one is a $450 dollar scope, one is a $1400 scope.

I sold off the Swarovski, I've sold my bushnell (thankfully), but I still have my 12 year old Leupold and I wont sell it.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 03 Jan 2020, 12:25 pm

Denno;
Great to hear from you Denno!
I hope you're going well
I sent you a private message not long ago
Surprisingly
I am starting to enjoy learning about scopes now
Coz they're finally starting to make sense now! Haha
What would you recommend if you had to choose between the Elite and the AR series?
I'm not too fussed with the objective lens to be honest
I'd prefer 50mm
But if I had to go with 40mm
Thatd be okay as well

Am88;
Ah okay
Yeah
I'm going to the gun store on Monday brother
Thanks for your feedback bro
I'll definetely give Leupold's a second look then
Originally yeah
The Leupold's sounded absolutely fantastic to me
I loved what I read about the Leupold's originally
I was a big fan from the beginning
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ricochet » 03 Jan 2020, 1:20 pm

Nothing against Bushnell, but i reckon for $90 the Bresser 4-12x40 is pretty damn good on my .22, reasonably fine cross hairs with a dot at the centre that can be a illuminated red dot with a twist of the turret. No mill dot or windage markers but I like it and I reckon if I get the .223 Im thinking of I'd happily buy one again on it.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2020, 1:40 pm

You would have to order it from the US. Yes I am aware it is not a Bushnell.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tact ... ope-3.html
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jan 2020, 2:25 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You would have to order it from the US. Yes I am aware it is not a Bushnell.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tact ... ope-3.html

What...?? That's not a NF either :lol: have you changed jobs SCJ :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2020, 2:41 pm

Denno wrote:
What...?? That's not a NF either :lol: have you changed jobs SCJ :lol:

I will let you make the recommendations regarding Bushnells. You are better qualified than me in that regard.

If he had a $1,000 budget and wanted a competition oriented scope like you asked for, then a NF would have been in the running. While I have many flaws, the inability to describe what I am looking for and to be able to take good advice, is not one of them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jan 2020, 2:59 pm

The AR is the only scope I could find that ticked all the boxes.... And was under $500
The only thing it doesn't have is zero stop turrets but that's ok with me.

The Elite are $$$$

My next choice was one of these.... But they are in FFP.
(Which doesn't really matter for 50m paper)

[url]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... V2-vXDfBpY [/url]

Not as much a reputiple brand as Bushnell but it's hard to find many bad words against them.
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Jan 2020, 3:04 pm

Glass is a huge difference... and that's where the money is.

Of the cheap scopes, my nikko stirling diamond lr is probably the best (clearest)... only thing letting it down is the max mag of 16x fir a target type scope.
Last edited by Sergeant Hartman on 03 Jan 2020, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2020, 3:09 pm

Is a Bushnells AR series any better than this scope?

http://www.visionking.com.cn/en/product ... 18&c_pid=1
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jan 2020, 3:17 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
I will let you make the recommendations regarding Bushnells. You are better qualified than me in that regard.

If he had a $1,000 budget and wanted a competition oriented scope like you asked for, then a NF would have been in the running. While I have many flaws, the inability to describe what I am looking for and to be able to take good advice, is not one of them.

...But he doesn't have $1000
...And he doesn't want a competition oriented scope like I (or he) asked for :allegedly:

...And still you persist :clap:

It's not about who knows more mate. You obviously have been around for a long tooth and have done it all.
I know little. I have my first rifle in the safe, still unfired. I have just gone through all this. I did my research.

It's about reading the OPs question and trying to answer him, not post stupid examples of what he doesn't need or is looking for....

Just as you did when I was looking for scopes. :thumbsdown:

Keep up the good work :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jan 2020, 3:24 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Is a Bushnells AR series any better than this scope?

http://www.visionking.com.cn/en/product ... 18&c_pid=1

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on the specifics

Bushnell warranty was a big winner for me too. Don't like the chances of much warranty when buying through eBay though :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2020, 3:40 pm

He did not say he had a $1,000 budget, you said that. You also wanted good glass and 24 or so magnification, and that it was to be used for paper only. I responded that a second hand Nightforce was an excellent option. How was this inappropriate?

You ended up with a Bushnells AR, your choice and your money. It is a scope that retailed for under $200 and is probably made in the same city if not the same factory in China as the Visionking. It is very difficult to judge the quality of scopes made in China without trying one out, they may have improved out of sight lately.

Would I buy a Nikko Sterling for $500? No, I would put the money towards a quality optic like a Nightforce BR Series. Is this what you would do? I am betting that it is not.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jan 2020, 4:12 pm

SCJ429 wrote:He did not say he had a $1,000 budget, you said that. You also wanted good glass and 24 or so magnification, and that it was to be used for paper only. I responded that a second hand Nightforce was an excellent option. How was this inappropriate?

You ended up with a Bushnells AR, your choice and your money. It is a scope that retailed for under $200 and is probably made in the same city if not the same factory in China as the Visionking. It is very difficult to judge the quality of scopes made in China without trying one out, they may have improved out of sight lately.

Would I buy a Nikko Sterling for $500? No, I would put the money towards a quality optic like a Nightforce BR Series. Is this what you would do? I am betting that it is not.

Why are you responding to my wants in someone else's thread?? You tripper :lol: :lol:
You were wrong in your responses there too champ. Nothing you posted came of any good to me. You were in your own little world of scopes that nobody gave a rat's butt about... And here we are again. :violin:

I said it might be a good scope.... But I doubt it will be better than an AR.... And it has no known warranty..
Bushnell has an excellent warranty and the Nikko looks pretty good too. There are also plenty of reviews and info on both on the web's... Bugga all for the Visioning. Do you own one? Have you tried one? Are you even from this planet :crazy:

That's why I bought the AR. It's cheap.
So I can save my money for an excellent scope... Not a Nightforce BR series because I don't want a bench rest scope as I've said multiple times..... And here we are again :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Am88 » 03 Jan 2020, 4:37 pm

In another thread I seen you said you hunt with a nightforce benchrest scope, and on another gun have a vx3, pretty easy to understand. No need to attack him because I can follow it, so do you want or do you not want expensive scopes? work it out so you can finish clogging up someone elses thread.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2020, 4:49 pm

I know you bought the scope because it was cheap, why else would you?

Your petty insults say plenty about you. If you don't agree with my comments why waste time reading them let alone responding to them. You are wasting valuable time that you could be researching cheap Chinese scopes.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 03 Jan 2020, 4:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You are wasting valuable time that you could be researching cheap Chinese scopes.

:clap:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2020, 6:47 pm

I could only recommend what I've used myself, which also means they suit my specific wants in a scope. I haven't put much time into scopes I have no interest in owning, like capped turrets or adjustable-objective designs, or scopes with price tags based around a fifty-year-old reputation. I don't want or need a dozen $1000 scopes sitting in my safes, especially when they don't give me anything I don't find in scopes of half the price or less. If I were only going to own a couple of scopes, or own one for a very specific purpose, then I could see me paying $1000 or more, and several times I have been finger-hovering-over-the-button close to pulling the trigger on something before coming to my senses.

One very important point for me is that I want all my scopes to be identical on all my field rifles, from .22LR to .30-06 and pistol-caliber levers. No matter which rifle I'm carrying, the scopes are exactly the same, same view, same controls, in the same places, same holdovers, same reticle. And my rifles don't shoot twenty rounds per year at sambar, I shoot thousands of rounds per year. I use them in rain, from winter's zeros to summer's 45's without any problems.

For me it came down to the AR Optics 4.5-18x40 223BDC for around $350. I have eleven of these now, I've been using them on my .22LR's out to 300m+, making elevation adjustments of 100 minutes (400 clicks) and back with zero tracking problems. I've used them shooting groups on paper until it's too dark to see the white paper at dusk. I have dropped rifles more times than I can count, without damaging a scope yet, the nastiest probably being when I knocked the rifle off my bench, landing inverted on the floor on the elevation turret, hard enough to compress the adjustable rail mount.

For my purposes I haven't been able to fault them at all. I can't comment on how well they work for spotlighting as that's not something I do, but I'd bet there are plenty of these being put to that purpose as well.

I received the Visionking 10-40x56 yesterday and mounted it on the .204 last night. My initial impression is that I'm impressed, but I need to get out and do some testing with it alongside the Bushnells. It says 1/8 MoA clicks on the turrets which I need to confirm on paper. 60 clicks per rotation, which is a little strange as it's 7.5 MoA, so you have to divide your elevation adjustments into 7.5 MoA groups, 13MoA would require a full rotation to 7.5 MoA, plus 5.5 for example. It only does 6.5 rotations (around 48MoA) though so it's not a PRS-type of scope you'd be making huge adjustments to. It is of course huge so would not go onto a hunting rifle, although it wouldn't be out of place on a varmint rifle. One odd thing is that it has illuminated reticles - plural. It has two reticles, one roughly 6MoA below the primary. It's very hazy with smoke here still, but looking at a fence line 650m away, set on 18x alongside the Bushnell, I can't see a significant difference in optics, both show up magpies perfectly well. The VK reticle is finer, at 40x it's about half the width of a star picket at 640m.

I'll post my thoughts once I've had a good play with it.
Last edited by bladeracer on 03 Jan 2020, 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Jan 2020, 6:50 pm

Awww scj429 and deano.... you both need to get a room and get your lovers quarrel out of the way.

In a way you both will quickly realise that you need something better than a $200 scope if you are punching paper... esp when you get better at it or start to shoot regularly. My friend has a Leopold 45x leupold on his 22lr and another has a 8x32 sightron. I just got a sightron 35x and ohh it's just lovely to look through. I dunno if you can find em new but they were under 800 (i picked mine up second hand).

After reading blade reply, i think in the end it will come to what the person wants to use the scope for and everyone is different, what might work for a person A might not work for someone else.

The reason people get the high mag scopes is that they want to be able to see the bullet holes esp in a competition type environment... and adjust for wind and conditions
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2020, 7:43 pm

SCJ429 wrote: It is very difficult to judge the quality of scopes made in China without trying one out, they may have improved out of sight lately.

They have in my opinion, even top-tier manufacturers are using Chinese glass in their cheaper lines nowadays.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Raband » 03 Jan 2020, 8:23 pm

Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2020, 8:30 pm

I agree Blade, that is why I decided to try one out for myself. Instead of looking down from my Ivory Tower surrounded by Schmidt and Bender, Ziess and Nightforce scopes I should test out the cheapest of them for myself. I am suprised by what you can get for $150, and there is no reason why you could not go out and use the scope. I have seen the videos where the retical moves diagonally across the lens or the focus ring does not work but no problems like that so far for me.

For me I do not expect a warranty but I understand that this is important to most. I bought the Visionking expecting it to fail, and am doing what I can to see if that will happen.

I find it hard to recommend a cheap Chinese scope in case the person has a bad experience. You have had a good run with your Bushnell AR series and they do what you expect from them. More power to people who buy budget scopes and have a good run from them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics