45-70 Red Dot

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

45-70 Red Dot

Post by milnops » 04 Jan 2020, 5:25 pm

Just put a deposit down on a Marlin 1895sbl, stainless, laminate and comes with a rail and ghost sights on it from factory.. pretty excited.
It’s mostly going to be used for high country Sambar hunting and whatever else gets in its way, that’s if there’s anything left of it after summer.

I’m more a shotgun shooter than a long range target wiz so thought the Aimpoint micro H-1 red dot might be the go, but seeing if anyone can recommend any (cheaper) alternatives?

Main concern would be shaking the cheaper ones to pieces, I hate buying twice.
I have a couple of boxes of leverevolution 325gr, won’t be handloading at this stage so nothing overly hot and heavy.
milnops
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 45-70 Red Dot

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jan 2020, 7:58 am

I have a few big bores and struggle with open sights, I tried an Aimpoint but I could only use it with precision a little past 50 metres. I have settled with a compact variable scope from 1.5 to 4 or 5 power. Offers me more flexibility over the Aimpoint. I shot a pig like this a little over 200 metres with 4x magnification off shooting sticks.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 06 Jan 2020, 8:40 am

Depends on the country hunted too. I have both, I wanted an aimpoint for one of my .308 but went with a Holosun. Very similar looking to the aimpoint nice and low and I'm actually very impressed with it for a $400 item. Have used in at day and night it's adjustable brightness, my limit for it is a 600ml coke bottle at 100m, the 2 moa dot hides it pretty well but still hit it.

The gun shop I bought it from showed me his mounted to his 45/70 for 6 months no issues
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 06 Jan 2020, 8:44 am

I’ve got a Steiner MRS red dot on my 45/70 accurate out to hundred metres and very rugged.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by milnops » 06 Jan 2020, 6:40 pm

Thanks guys, it seems the mid/expensive red dots get a good rap all round. I’ll see if I can have a play with a couple when I get a chance.

A scout type scope was a thought too, but most shots are going to be pretty short range in the areas we’ve had a look in so far, and anything longer range the old man can whip out the 308.

Permit came through today which I was surprised about, so of course I had to go pick the bad boy up. The weekend can’t come soon enough.
milnops
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 07 Jan 2020, 8:38 am

milnops wrote:Thanks guys, it seems the mid/expensive red dots get a good rap all round. I’ll see if I can have a play with a couple when I get a chance.

A scout type scope was a thought too, but most shots are going to be pretty short range in the areas we’ve had a look in so far, and anything longer range the old man can whip out the 308.

Permit came through today which I was surprised about, so of course I had to go pick the bad boy up. The weekend can’t come soon enough.

Enjoy mate the 45/70 is an awesome round for bowling the pigs
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Jan 2020, 9:35 am

being a shotgun shooter you are already there for short range quick shot pointing :drinks:
anything longer if the animal is still you will be able to take your time and aim

l find it a great thrill sambar hunting :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by milnops » 19 Jan 2020, 5:11 pm

Put 40 rounds of the leverevolution through it yesterday using the factory ghost ring setup.

Starting at 25m I was very happy with the factory setup, moving on to 50m I was still happy. No adjustments made. At 100m I'm getting to the limit of my eyes and skill with the ghost sights, and some minor windage adjustment is necessary (but I had no binoculars so couldn't tell until I was all done), but still hitting the paper pretty well, well enough for my needs at the moment, a target rifle this aint. Very happy and surprised how well it was setup out of the box.

I will say after 40 shots I was happy to be packing up and giving the shoulder a rest. I think the guys next to me with the 22 thought I was mad.
milnops
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jt-2019 » 04 Feb 2020, 6:32 pm

Sounds like fun
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Tank » 04 Feb 2020, 7:07 pm

Epic caliber and nice choice of rifle!
Target rifle it ain’t but you gotta admit it puts one hell of a grin on your dial! Amazingly versatile. Welcome to the club!
I reckon your choice of optic is fine. I run a VX3 2-7 on mine. Horses for courses.
Good luck and further impressions looked forward to!
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics