Low mag optics and sighting in

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Low mag optics and sighting in

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jan 2020, 8:49 am

I dont target shoot, just hunt and develop the odd load. I used to print out all sorts of targets. Now i just use 1" red dots.

Buy them very cheap at office works. About 500 to a roll. Stick on 1" red dots

Stickers.jpg
Stickers.jpg (596.44 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Jan 2020, 10:34 am

Bloody hell...at $8 for a box of spots...someone is making some serious profit there...!!

A printer i know offered me an entire roll of up to 4" wide white self adhesive label for nothing...im talking a roll thats prob 900mm in diameter...enough for all of us here to shoot at & label our freezer bags & ammo boxes for a generation or 2...

Think ill take him up on the offer...!!

Maybe ill ask him to print half of it off in spots... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2020, 10:51 am

I buy lots of the adhesive dots, although I prefer the smaller ones for shooting at.
They're also great for patching the bullet holes.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Potatoes » 24 Jan 2020, 11:25 am

I got into trouble at belmont for hanging a clay off the 200m target boards. I said don’t worry ill take it down then (with my rifle). Glad old mate didn’t see the ones i had strung up at 300m. He would have had a heart attack. They never seem to have a problem with the birchwood casey targets i get from the lgs though.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by GojiraSteve » 24 Jan 2020, 11:34 am

SCJ429 wrote:If you have to use a SSAA card target for load development, take a permanent marker to the range with you and draw as many crosses on it as you need. I am sure they would let you do that.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I've got around it.

I use target patches (1/2 inch black stickers) for the "dots" though.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 24 Jan 2020, 11:57 am

Go to my targets .com and print your own target when ever I go to a range i use them plenty of different targets
http://www.mytargets.com/ if you have access to an A3 printer all the better.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

pomemax wrote:Go to my targets .com and print your own target when ever I go to a range i use them plenty of different targets
http://www.mytargets.com/ if you have access to an A3 printer all the better.

I have used them as well, but I don't always remember to take them with me. But I always have some A4 and A3 sheets with me, and insulation tape.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 27 Jan 2020, 1:36 pm

I've never had a problem with my own paper targets at Belmont SSAA, on one occasion I did overhear an RO advising somebody to grab some used SSAA targets from the bin and attach their targets to those first but I think theirs were quite small and it was taking them a long time to attach them out on the range.

I've seen people put clay targets out on the dirt mounds too and it's even in their range safety video.

I haven't seen a list of what an official 'approved target' is for that range though, if anyone knows please respond
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Jan 2020, 2:02 pm

For just sighting in, I don't think there is. I just print out targets from above web site, attach them to a very well used SSAA card ( get a couple of A4 targets on, saves on time putting them up) and use a sticker off a Star and Smiley sheet from a "Dollar Dazzler" shop - cheap as chips!
And I've used a piece of clay target on the butt stop to get a rough idea of fall of shot , no worries...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ziggy » 27 Jan 2020, 9:27 pm

If I don't have a target, I make one with cardboard and an upside down T in the middle. works for me.
Ziggy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics