Another 22lr scope question and other things

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Another 22lr scope question and other things

Post by Potatoes » 22 Jan 2020, 8:51 pm

Despite my high aspirations for my next rifle being a 30 caliber buffed walnut and hubble telescope scope vanity piece, my head tells me that the blink flinch and poor follow though (when i dry fire my crosshairs dip 1/4-1/2 moa down and right) I've developed after letting off a shot on my 223 means i really need some 22lr training wheels. Im thinking budget rifles like a ruger American, b series savage, cz, or even a henry hn001 (on a side note, are there any ranges near brissy where you could load up to get the most enjoyment out of a lever gun?) I'm not overly fussed about precision or even shooting much beyond 50 (I'm largely on point out to 300 with the 223 and would probably end up taking both to the range). I really want to practice offhand at a few clays, and do some technique focussed warm up shots. And of course maybe use it for bunnies if the chance arises.

So in terms of scopes, im thinking of getting something from the new leupold vx freedom range. 2-7, 3-9, or maybe 4-12 tops and they go for about $350. Has anyone tried these and felt they’re good value? Clear, good eye relief, etc?

Whats your thoughts on such a setup?
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Another 22lr scope question and other things

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2020, 10:01 pm

Hey spuds... :)

I cant speak for those scopes...

But with this follow through your on about...
Try letting off a little shoulder pressure & shoot both eyes open...
See if that helps...
Oh and so i learned recently (straightshooter suggestion & explained by marksman i think) is dry fire on an empty case... :thumbsup:

That stops the reticle movement on dryfire provided the barreled action is sound in the stock... :thumbsup:

Bloody good tip that one...thanks you two... :)

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2020, 10:02 pm

And do you reload for your 223...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Potatoes » 22 Jan 2020, 10:11 pm

Yeah i love reloading for the 223. Gives me something to do on a week night. I probably would have got a 22lr sooner if i could reload them too.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Jan 2020, 10:25 pm

There was a poster "downunderdutchman" who said he bought a 3 to 9 Vision King for $60 delivered and rated it. No warranty but if it doesn't break who cares. Might be made in the same factory as the Leupold Freedom.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2020, 11:01 pm

SCJ429 wrote:There was a poster "downunderdutchman" who said he bought a 3 to 9 Vision King for $60 delivered and rated it. No warranty but if it doesn't break who cares. Might be made in the same factory as the Leupold Freedom.

Hmmm...hope he's doing ok...
I tried to contact him to see if he was all good, but got no reply... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2020, 11:18 pm

Potatoes wrote:Yeah i love reloading for the 223. Gives me something to do on a week night. I probably would have got a 22lr sooner if i could reload them too.

Mate...(sorry if youve read this or know about this already)...

But...get yourself a big box or 2 of cheap bulk 22 cal bullets, another set of brass, & a bottle of Trailboss powder...

Make up some cartridges with that & plink away...

This will give you reduced loads, but good loads & much better than a 22lr/or a good practice partner along with your 22lr...
Its cheap practice for a centrefire shooting, & good fun to shoot bunnys with for something different too...!!

The best thing is, you can shoot a heap of rounds without overheating your barrel...!!!

Not sure how you'd go with a 223, but i can shoot 10 rounds with the 204 & the barrel is just warm...

Id give it a crack if you havent already....i rekon trailboss loads for my 22-250 work out at about 30 cents each with a 13 ish cent cheapo bullet...thats only around double cost of 22lr & a heap cheaper than 17hmr... :clap:
And rabbits heads still go "POP" at 150 yds... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Plenty guys on here can give you advice on using it if you need...but if you already reload, you'll be all good to go... :thumbsup:

Just dont ever compress loads with it... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Potatoes » 23 Jan 2020, 6:43 am

Hey stix loading the 223 with trailboss sounds like a pretty good idea. Part of my reasoning for a 22lr was my worry about racking up my round count in the 223 with numerous practice shots and short range offhand plinks. If that load is running cool then i doubt it would be causing much wear and tear. I have plenty of 13c superoo projectiles which may work (I haven’t checked load data). I guess this means the next rifle may be the 30 cal after all, which after looking at the funds may end up being another budget howa build.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2020, 8:03 am

You don't really need to find load data for trailboss, just work out a 70% case fill and use that.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Jan 2020, 8:50 am

Four grains of Trailboss will get you started.

I have shot over 4000 rounds out of my 223 barrel and it still shoots 0.3 MOA.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics