Disappointing Purchase

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Disappointing Purchase

Post by JimTom » 29 Jan 2020, 6:13 am

G’day Gents

Well after much saving and a few weeks of waiting, I received a call to inform me that my thermal scope had arrived.
I paid the balance and then the scope appeared on the counter. First thing I noticed was that the box was damaged on one end, and quite knocked around. The damage to box would be commensurate with being opened and closed many times.
I queried this with the store and they assured me the thermal was brand new. The scope Itself does appear to be unmarked as I checked it at the shop.
Foolishly I accepted the box and took it home. Upon further inspection I noticed there were a few items, ie, manuals and cleaning cloths that the website says should be in box, that were missing.
I called the shop back to once again query the brand new status of the purchase and I suggested that it was perhaps a demo mode. The shop called their supplier who said it was new.
I haven’t turned on the scope as I am still in two minds if I should return it and ask for a refund or at least a discount.
What are people’s views?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Disappointing Purchase

Post by No1_49er » 29 Jan 2020, 6:44 am

If it is supposed to be NEW, I would want it in a sealed box.
An ex-demonstrator may well be "new", but it should go with a reasonable discount, and be complete.
Would you buy and ex-demo "new" vehicle that was missing the spare, user manual, floor mats, etc.? No. I thought not.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 29 Jan 2020, 6:45 am

Mate when you lay it as clearly as that, I think I will be heading back to the shop this morning.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Jan 2020, 7:42 am

Yea...same as No1...

Take pics of it & the packaging all over & record serial no...then take it back.

Its fair to assume with things missing & the box obviously used, that its not new & untouched...

Ive been on the receiving end of similar shenanigans & goods have mostly been faulty.

Its fair enough suppliers & retailers have demo units, but they are NOT new, & if they wish to sell them, they should offer discounts...

Take it back & ask for another...

What did you buy JT...?
Last edited by Stix on 29 Jan 2020, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jan 2020, 7:46 am

No1_49er wrote:If it is supposed to be NEW, I would want it in a sealed box.
An ex-demonstrator may well be "new", but it should go with a reasonable discount, and be complete.
Would you buy and ex-demo "new" vehicle that was missing the spare, user manual, floor mats, etc.? No. I thought not.

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 29 Jan 2020, 12:31 pm

take it back, even if it hasnt been used it clearly has been out of the box and handled, that makes it a demo and discount would need to be applied to keep you happy
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 29 Jan 2020, 1:07 pm

Agreed mate, thanks Bill, and thanks to everyone who offered advice. I did take it back and explained that it clearly wasn’t new. They agreed and have ordered me a new one.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jan 2020, 2:19 pm

JimTom wrote:Agreed mate, thanks Bill, and thanks to everyone who offered advice. I did take it back and explained that it clearly wasn’t new. They agreed and have ordered me a new one.

Sounds like u spoke to a different person?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 29 Jan 2020, 2:50 pm

Yep it was a different bloke mate. He was all over it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2020, 7:23 pm

I bought a brand new expensive D.E. Walt cordless 54 volt saw , only the display unit was available. I bought it at normal cost I think. On the way home I hit the trigger because u know sometimes we can’t wait to get home to try out a new toy. The machine shook violently like a helicopter would if half its blades had been shot off in a fierce battle. Straight back to the store and I showed the salesmen. He was helpfull and acknowledged that’s not right ..... undid the blade and put it back on properly and it was fine. Of course this is something I could have sorted myself but then if there really was a problem they could start blaming me and I’m up for a fight which nobody enjoys or needs. So play it safe. Take it back and make a fuss ..... the sort of person who can’t be bothered putting all the bits back in the box is not the sort of person I would want playing with my scope before me , esp when it costs 3 or 4 k
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 29 Jan 2020, 7:25 pm

JimTom wrote:Yep it was a different bloke mate. He was all over it.

Nobody likes a stuff-up, but it is good to see a result.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 29 Jan 2020, 7:47 pm

Absolutely mate. Was prepared for a battle however the shop was actually quite accommodating, as they should be considering the amount of money I have put through there in recent times.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm

l'm glad it is working out for you and hope to see a review in the future :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 29 Jan 2020, 8:03 pm

marksman wrote:l'm glad it is working out for you and hope to see a review in the future :thumbsup: :drinks:

Wilco Sir. As soon as it is received and I work it out I will
post some stuff up here to look at mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2020, 8:44 pm

I just realised I had posted after you had it sorted. Good to hear u got a good result. As much as we can’t wait to get our hands on certain things I think it better to wait for the brand new item you can open , use and enjoy with confidence Imagine if you had took it on a week long hunt 700 k from home and it failed on the second day .... that wood truly suck
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2020, 9:28 pm

JT , a couple of days ago I thought of a thermal scope tip that should make initial use easier for you ,,,,, adjustments to a conventional scope are a piece of cake because you only have two discs for zero , maybe a parallax dial and a zoom dial but a thermal scope is covered with about 750 different buttons and some of those buttons sometimes serve different purposes depending what u are doin at the time and then there is the short press and the long press The only way you can be physically comfortable adjusting all the myriad of settings and options and reticle types and colours brightness contrast and different range zeros etc ( and there’s more ) is if you have the rifle set up on bags on a table and you have correct seat in position ... then as u grip the buttstock with your right hand u use your left hand to operate the buttons and the rifle is securely held in the bags and not tipping allowver the place. Eg range set up , but often u will want to be adjusting all thes things in less comfortable scenarios eg just grabbed rifle from safe and u are sitting on your bed mucking round with the buttons. You won’t actually realise how uncomfortable it is to do until u try , It happens to me on every hunting trip if I have to adjust something and it shuts me ........ usually the first thing a bloke wants to do with his newly acquired thermal is mount it to his rifle. NO. leave the rifle in the safe. Physically holding just the scope in your hands and spending possibly hours learning how it all works will be a ton easier for you And you can look out the window and down the street with it without alarming neighbours and haveing blue sirens screaming down your street ....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 30 Jan 2020, 5:03 am

Thanks for the tip mate. I shall take your advice and invest some time in learning how it all works prior to mounting it on my rifle. Cheers mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 31 Jan 2020, 9:54 am

Received a phone call regarding the new scope that had been ordered to replace the suspected demo model that was sent to me.

No more in stock, so I guess that almost confirms that they sent me the demo as they didn’t have any others available. Unsatisfactory.

Have now been fully refunded and will investigate other models.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jan 2020, 11:39 am

A bit annoying and not a convenient process but most importantly you have your coin back.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 31 Jan 2020, 4:31 pm

Blr243 wrote:A bit annoying and not a convenient process but most importantly you have your coin back.

Very true mate. Just an inconvenience, glad I am not locked in battle trying to get my money back.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brinny » 31 Jan 2020, 11:09 pm

JimTom wrote:Received a phone call regarding the new scope that had been ordered to replace the suspected demo model that was sent to me.

No more in stock, so I guess that almost confirms that they sent me the demo as they didn’t have any others available. Unsatisfactory.

Your obviously not keen on saying what brand....but if this is the scope you prefer, and there is nil stock available on this model, is it an option for you to get a substantial discount for this scope being a demo....chances are there you may not have issues with it and you will save a big dollar...It would also need to come with a full warranty period...Just a thought...
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 01 Feb 2020, 5:05 am

Mate the scope was an ATN Mars 4, 388x240 1.5-5x.
They did offer a small discount for the scope once I called them out on it being demo, however not enough to spark interest in a scope with an unverified background. Had they been honest from the start and offered a reasonable discount I would have considered it.
I do like the ATN, however my preferred gun shop doesn’t sell them. I have done a lot of comparing the Mars4 to the Pulsar Thermion and whilst I like both, I think the ATN is slightly better.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2020, 9:42 pm

JimTom wrote:Received a phone call regarding the new scope that had been ordered to replace the suspected demo model that was sent to me.

Now that's what you call a "sour tasting all day sucker"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics