Toughest scopes

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Toughest scopes

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Mar 2020, 7:11 am

Hi guys
I'm looking for opinions on the toughest scopes around. The type that can be knocked around and wouldn't bother the scope.
It will be going on a hunting rifle.
Cheers =)
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Toughest scopes

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Mar 2020, 7:44 am

Bushnell... or what was that Chinese one ppl were buying up.

NF scopes mate. But any scope you could break if you tried hard enough.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Mar 2020, 8:39 am

I drop my rifles more than I suspect most people could cope with, but I haven't managed to break any of my AR Optics yet, which does impress me. I flipped one rifle off my workbench and it hit the floor dead on top of the elevation turret hard enough to compress the adjustable mount. I had to set the mount up again of course but the scope is fine.

I took the Bushnell off the RPR a few weeks ago to put another scope on that I'm testing, then managed to knock it off the top of the safe. I haven't had a chance to swap it back yet but I won't be surprised if I don't even need to re-zero it, piccatinny rails are awesome for QD scope mounting.
Last edited by bladeracer on 05 Mar 2020, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 05 Mar 2020, 12:29 pm

Fixed power and short tubed would be the toughest, 2.5x, 3.5, 4x, still a few options out there :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 05 Mar 2020, 3:21 pm

I would hazard a guess that any scope with a lifetime warranty would be quite durable.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Mar 2020, 3:49 pm

I’d add further to JTs comments, that scopes with illumination, other tech features, etc might be less inclined to weather 4wd vehicle calamities
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 05 Mar 2020, 4:28 pm

JimTom wrote:I would hazard a guess that any scope with a lifetime warranty would be quite durable.

Or the price includes enough to cover them replacing a percentage of those sold.
Lifetime warranty is never free, the overhead is built into the price.

Say 1% of owners make a claim that requires replacement of a $500 scope due to their clumsiness.
Everybody down the line has already made their profit from the sale, nobody is giving any money back to anybody, just a matter of a dealer filling out a form and dropping the scope in the mail. The manufacturer pulls a new scope off the production line and drops it in the mail. The manufacturer is the only one making any loss, the $50 it cost him to make the scope. So they have a "retail price increase" and sell them for $501 now, so even if 2% of scopes come back, they are still making money on them.

And if 10% of owners break their scopes during huge celebratory festivities upon hearing that the Green Party just received a bill for ten-billion dollars in reparations to the citizens of Australia...now I feel tingly all over and have lost my line of thought completely :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Mar 2020, 5:06 pm

When an Aussie goes to New Zealand hunting Himalayan thar the First thing he does is slip and fall twenty times per day because he is not used to the wet and the slippery rocks and uneven terrain .... I used to tape half inch thick Eva foam to my scopes ..... it helps big time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Mar 2020, 5:07 pm

A good heavy fall / smash with body weight behind it will stress any scope
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Mar 2020, 5:08 pm

A good heavy fall / smash with body weight behind it will stress any scope
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Mar 2020, 5:08 pm

When an Aussie goes to New Zealand hunting Himalayan thar the First thing he does is slip and fall twenty times per day because he is not used to the wet and the slippery rocks and uneven terrain .... I used to tape half inch thick Eva foam to my scopes ..... it helps big time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Mar 2020, 5:33 pm

Dejavu
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 05 Mar 2020, 5:37 pm

Schmidt and Bender or Meopta. have had both. Bloody tough imo
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 05 Mar 2020, 7:23 pm

In my experience, scopes get "knocked around" by accident. But if you ae intending to do so before you even buy it, then I would only be buying stuff under $500. Then if it does cark it, you can toss it and buy another without crying in your beer.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Mar 2020, 7:34 pm

GQshayne wrote:In my experience, scopes get "knocked around" by accident. But if you ae intending to do so before you even buy it, then I would only be buying stuff under $500. Then if it does cark it, you can toss it and buy another without crying in your beer.

If I were going to buy one with the intention of bashing it about deliberately, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it :-)
But if I were buying one that I knew was going to get hammered but had to be relied upon I'd probably spend $5000. There must be thousands of stories nowadays about military optics surviving some astonishing handling over the past 75-years.

I have a pair of cheap Ebay Bushnell Banners that I rarely use for anything. I really want to cut one up and look at the nitty gritty of its internals, but I know the day after I cut one up, the other one will fail or break...and then I won't have either of these $60 scopes...that I don't even use...but I just can't bring myself to do it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 05 Mar 2020, 7:37 pm

Yes I see your point Bladeracer regarding the warranty.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Mar 2020, 6:50 am

Try doing this to your scope.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4bZZTa8M5wI
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 06 Mar 2020, 6:55 am

Well if that is fair dinkum then I’d say that is the toughest scope ever made. Frozen, shot with shotgun, hammer in a nail. Can’t imagine anyone’s scope going through that much punishment in normal use.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Mar 2020, 7:22 am

Nightforce do a few tests videos, the title of the thread is toughest scope.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vtRVELPgBM
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Mar 2020, 7:35 am

Isn't night force what they use in the military?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Mar 2020, 9:33 am

The military use NightForce, Schmidt & Bender along with Leupold so I'd be looking at those brands if budget permits.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Mar 2020, 10:20 am

brett1868 wrote:The military use NightForce, Schmidt & Bender along with Leupold so I'd be looking at those brands if budget permits.

Ouch! Just had a look at the price tag :cry:

No rush...will just take longer to save
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Mar 2020, 11:37 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnNacBsxKBY

I bought one of these for the purpose of test destruction but once it got here, it was half decent and I couldn’t bring myself to bash it. My kids mess around with it now after I pulled it from 12g
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Mar 2020, 1:51 pm

TassieTiger wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnNacBsxKBY

I bought one of these for the purpose of test destruction but once it got here, it was half decent and I couldn’t bring myself to bash it. My kids mess around with it now after I pulled it from 12g

Ah sheeeet haha
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 06 Mar 2020, 2:08 pm

I can vouch for leupold, slipped and hit my vxr on a rock edge in the vic high country, it broke off a bit of rock! , as if hit by a hammer scope was just fine
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 06 Mar 2020, 7:27 pm

Leupold every time, if it's in your budget. Otherwise, I have found that Bushnells hold together pretty well on hunting guns. Got nothing good to say about modern Tascos - the old ones were great but the new ones fall apart if you sneeze on them.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 06 Mar 2020, 7:42 pm

I dropped my Dads old steel fixed power weaver which was attached to a .308 when I was a kid. Pulled a gun case out of a cupboard at ceiling height and the .308 was sitting on top. Obviously pre 1996. Used to keep my .22 under my bed back then. Anyway I digress. The 308 dropped into the tiles, scope first of course. Dad was none to pleased, was happy enough once he realised that the scope and rifle still shot true though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 01 Apr 2020, 2:28 pm

Have a look at an IOR - some of their 40mm tubed long range scopes...........blimey!!!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Aliqua » 11 Apr 2020, 11:44 pm

Dont they say you can drive over an NF? There is also that famous story if a sniper getting a bullet through his. He taped it up and kept shooting...

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/bl ... ole-scope/
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Apr 2020, 11:20 am

Aliqua wrote:Dont they say you can drive over an NF? There is also that famous story if a sniper getting a bullet through his. He taped it up and kept shooting...

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/bl ... ole-scope/

That's nuts. Might just get 1... in about 2 years.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics