Adjustable rings

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Adjustable rings

Post by scoot » 10 Mar 2020, 9:58 pm

Does anyone know of any good rings that allow for scope adjustment/alignment.
Fx no limits look a bit rinky dink with what appears to be one cross bolt to hold the adjustment...and very tall. :unknown:
I like the burris xtr signature rings which also seem to get very good reviews. I'm almost sold, buuut if there was something the same with q.d. mounts :clap:
Any options?????? (Not bulky 1 piece) or should i get over having to undo 4 screws to remove the scope and just buy the burris already.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Adjustable rings

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2020, 11:47 pm

I use adjustable rings and adjustable one-piece mounts.
I'm preferring the one-piece mount but it is for a dovetail, not a pic-rail.

However, I'm currently playing with a scope on my RPR that does not have enough elevation adjustment to allow me to zero back to 50m on the RPR's 30-MoA rail. So I shimmed the front ring .012" and put 100rds through it today to ensure it is secure.

The first set of adjustable rings I bought were British Sports match, and expensive but there are now Chinese knockoffs available. The one-piece mounts are Knockoffs as well I guess, for about $40. The one-piece has a screw underneath to push the top of the rail up, and a second screw to pull it back down against the first screw. To adjust it you have to remove the rail, but once you set it up you wouldn't adjust it again. Mine is set at about 60-MoA currently. I wound the scope to the bottom of the turret, then used the rail to zero it, so I have the full 105MoA of elevation adjustment from a100m zero. Windage is adjusted via push screws on both sides of the front and rear of the rail. Loosen one side, tighten the other.

If you want a mount you can adjust while shooting, you'll have to look at some of the $500+ mounts with click adjustment.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Mar 2020, 6:44 am

The Burris rings are the go, better shooters than me have used them to set distance records. Very kind to your scope tube too.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 11 Mar 2020, 5:10 pm

The sportsmatch look very similar to the fx only stronger looking design, and adjusted screw to wind up elevation. I worry about misalignment of the rings though when adjusting for elevation. This could be overcome with lapping once loosely set up.
I don't like to use chinese/ cheap rings on anything remotely good. Bad experiences.
One piece looks good but it will wind up with very high scope height since the rail is already high.
Looks like burris it is.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Mar 2020, 5:34 pm

scoot wrote:The sportsmatch look very similar to the fx only stronger looking design, and adjusted screw to wind up elevation. I worry about misalignment of the rings though when adjusting for elevation. This could be overcome with lapping once loosely set up.
I don't like to use chinese/ cheap rings on anything remotely good. Bad experiences.
One piece looks good but it will wind up with very high scope height since the rail is already high.
Looks like burris it is.

The potential for putting force through the scope tube is why I prefer the one-piece mount. This is the setup on my Ruger American Target currently. The scope does get higher as you increase the cant. This one is 53mm above bore axis to the centre of the front ring. Building up the comb is easier than trying to mount the scope lower I find, and if you adjust the cant you will also need to adjust the comb height anyway.

I have bought some two-piece QD pic rail mounts, the ring comes off the base. I want to machine some pic rails at different cant angles, then I can screw them onto the QD bases, and mount the scope on top.
Attachments
Canted mount.jpg
Canted mount.jpg (742.29 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics