Loose dove tail

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Loose dove tail

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 20 Mar 2020, 12:32 pm

I've bought an after market rear sight for my miroku 1892, and it is loose in the dovetail... It is so loose I can slide it in by hand.
I've had a look on the net and I see people saying to peen the dovetail of the sight with a center punch to expand it a touch.
Sounds like a good fix, has anyone done this?
Last edited by Kelsey Cooter on 22 Mar 2020, 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Loose dove tail

Post by Shootermick » 20 Mar 2020, 2:12 pm

I put some ghost ring sights on my Marlin 30-30 and the rear sight slid in like you said, but only because I filed too much off it as it was too tight initially. I just gave one side of the dovetail opening on the barrel the slightest hit with a brass punch and a hammer and it tightened it up really well. Couldn’t even tell it had been tapped in, it only needs a touch.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2020, 4:42 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:I've bought an after market rear sight for my miroku 1892, and it is loose in the dovetail... It is so loose I can slide it in by hand.
I've had a look on the net and I see people saying to peen the dovetail with a center punch of the sight to expand it a touch.
Sounds like a good fix but I'd say this sights dovetail is 2 or 3 thou to small, has anyone done this?

I wouldnt do that

Try a small piece of coke can to act as a shim.
Must be wrong size sight. There is a couple of dove tail sizes i believe.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Mar 2020, 7:47 am

In which direction did you knock the old sight out and new one in?
Convention is to knock them out from left to right, in, right to left. If you did it opposite to that you have probably stretched the metal.
Once you start bashing centre-punch marks into your barrel or "tapping down the edges of the dovetail, there 'aint no turning back.
Dovetails do vary in size, did you measure yours and buy the correct sized sight? :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 21 Mar 2020, 1:29 pm

I've done it. Worked fine
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Mar 2020, 1:46 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:I've bought an after market rear sight for my miroku 1892, and it is loose in the dovetail... It is so loose I can slide it in by hand.
I've had a look on the net and I see people saying to peen the dovetail with a center punch of the sight to expand it a touch.
Sounds like a good fix but I'd say this sights dovetail is 2 or 3 thou to small, has anyone done this?

I would punch the base of the front sight and leave the barrel alone.
A couple of centre punches along each edge should spread it enough.

Sight elements are usually over-size so you can dress them down to fit your firearm. Is it possible a previous owner might've dressed the dovetail in the barrel so it's now over-size?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 22 Mar 2020, 11:42 am

Yes I punched the sight in and out the correct direction, and yes the dovetail is correct as its intended for these replica Winchesters, I spoke to the gunsmith who made it and he was surprised and said thats the 1st he has heard of the dovetail being to small on his ladder sights, so I'm thinking it is the barrel dovetail being a touch large. I bought the rifle new so maybe it ended up a thou or so bigger for some reason in the factory.

The gunsmith who made the sight also recommended using shim metal so will try that
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Mar 2020, 1:43 pm

I'd do that in preference to the other methods mentioned. Yes, they do work, but I've seen plenty of barrels with beat up dovetails from heavy handed punching and "tapping".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics