GSCI Wolfhound review

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

GSCI Wolfhound review

Post by Tommy79r » 07 Apr 2020, 9:18 pm

Looking for first hand experience with GSCI Wolfhound scopes, anyone had experience with Wolfhound series scopes?

Not interested in ATN and pulsar products, main use is foxes 100-250m.

Do they hold zero?

Ease of use?
Tommy79r
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: GSCI Wolfhound review

Post by Blr243 » 08 Apr 2020, 8:24 pm

Not sure about the wolfhound part but there sometimes is a bloke on here I think Brinny is his name He had lots of trouble with pulsar poi change but I think since he forked out for a gsci he is happy now ...he’s a fox shooter. I shoot pulsar, have no issues. Hope it stays like that .....I had a wolfhound malamute cross that was an amazing solo finder/ holder. When we hunted together we were a team , alive and high as the sky. ..She was 13. Miss her heaps ...precious memories and action that no amount of money could ever buy
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Apr 2020, 10:02 am

Stop it BLR, you are bringing a tear to my eye thinking about my old hounds.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 09 Apr 2020, 7:00 pm

Mostly I don’t think about it and if I do I try not to think about it or distract myself ....it’s prob 3 years now. Still can’t look at photos. But I do think to myself how incredibly lucky I was to have had so long with her and hunting dog memories are by far the best connection you can have with a dog The two of us were always just one , perfect. Magical ......and I’m slightly amused by the memory , the fact that sometimes in the city she would go for a little wander and bring home some chooks she caught from the neighbours down the road. ( we never got caught. Hope they are not reading this )
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Apr 2020, 7:10 pm

And then there was the time we were building a deck down the road, she got of the lead somehow and killed the little buys guinea pig. That was embarrassing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Apr 2020, 7:12 pm

Sorry we can’t help u much tommy with advice about the scopes. Not many people can fork out ten or 11 thousand for a thermal scope
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tommy79r » 09 Apr 2020, 8:13 pm

With the kind comments about the K-9 Wolfhound maybe I should be looking to find a companion instead of the technical version. Must have been some dog, the history of the Wolfhound is fascinating, they have been admired for a long time by lords and kings etc.

They aren’t a cheap scope but lesser priced thermal have cost me Time and money, they haven’t been an enjoyable experience hence looking at Wolfhound.

I see Briny uses GSCI S675 with a base mag of x3, each of his vids I see has him on x2 magnification, effectively x6.
Wolfhound 38 L6 has a base mag of x6.

Finding user reviews of Wolfhound is difficult, may have to create my own review.
Tommy79r
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2020, 2:40 am

I just had a look on the net. 100 mm lense 2.5 kilometre human sized detection range But it was 17000 plus dollars It must be an amazing unit to hunt with . Let us know how you go in the end .... it would be frustrating to have such a piece of gear and not be able to use it because of our current hunting restrictions
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 11 Apr 2020, 11:17 pm

I run a GSCI S675 thermal scope....not the wolfhound series as you ask though...
I ran Pulsar ApexXD75 and XQ50 Trails...but gave up on them as the XD75 shutter jammed and couldnt be fixed and the XQ50 Trails wouldnt hold zero....
The GSCI took a bit of getting used to coming from the Pulsars.....
Mine has the 75mm lens and sits VERY high off the stock and an extended cheek piece is a must...
I had a few teething issues with it but was more operator error involved than actual scope....
Once these teething issues were sorted.....it has been running perfectly....AND HOLD ZERO....and thats a huge plus
I buy my scopes and monoculars through Australian Shooters Services in WA...chap called Alan Howe...08 97531160
He is a GSCI dealer here in Aus.
He is an absolute wealth of knowledge on thermals and NV....It would certainly be worth a call to him and have a chat to him about your needs...He is also a proffesional pest controller and uses GSCI scopes himself...
He will give you all the right info without putting the hard sell onto you...
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tommy79r » 12 Apr 2020, 8:34 pm

Thanks for your insights and history with thermal, holding zero is a must for me, I can miss easily enough without equipment confusing the situation.

Currently using NV with Large objective and agree that stock with adjustable check piece is a must.

Thanks for the heads up on Alan Howe, I need to talk to someone that has first hand experience with GSCI products, I maybe looking at wrong products altogether.

How do you rate build quality of your GSCI? Do you think it will have a long service life? I see GSCI give 7 years warranty on Wolfhound series scopes.
Tommy79r
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brinny » 12 Apr 2020, 9:24 pm

Tommy79r wrote:Thanks for your insights and history with thermal, holding zero is a must for me, I can miss easily enough without equipment confusing the situation.

Currently using NV with Large objective and agree that stock with adjustable check piece is a must.

Thanks for the heads up on Alan Howe, I need to talk to someone that has first hand experience with GSCI products, I maybe looking at wrong products altogether.

How do you rate build quality of your GSCI? Do you think it will have a long service life? I see GSCI give 7 years warranty on Wolfhound series scopes.

No worries mate....GSCI are a quality built product from Canada...and the fact they give a 7 year warranty is testoment to that....They also build thermals for the military...so they must be good...Only thing that isnt covered by the 7 year warranty is the lens....GSCI dont make the lens themselves and can only offer the same warranty on the lens as they get themselves....which is 12 months....
Have a chat to Alan...as i say he is an absolute wealth of knowledge in thermal and NV, and a dealer for GSCI...as well as Pulsar....and really knows his way around both products.......He will spend the time with you and make sure you are fitted up to the scope that will suit your needs...without filling you full of B/S....
So far i have bought 3 thermal scopes from him and 2 thermal monoculars....He is a gentleman to deal with....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 14 Jul 2020, 3:10 pm

I see this is a fairly old post. Yes the Wolfhound 38 L6 is interesting. It has detection distance of 3300 m you can see a fox at 365 m with no "zoom", ears legs etc. They are fairly big and heavy though. Someone said $17000 was a bit steep, not sure what model they were referring to. I use a TWS 3075 Elite at $26,000 :shock: and yes it is very impressive. 3 X optical plus zoom. There are a few here in Australia but not many.
Anybody interested they can talk to me.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jul 2020, 6:05 pm

I’m getting one when I win lotto. And a black Lamborghini too....just can’t work out weather I will allow my dog to sit in the front or the back seat
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Jul 2020, 8:15 pm

Well if you make him sit in the back, he will be in with the V12 and that would not be on. So in the front it is.....
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jul 2020, 9:10 pm

And now I Realze how little I know abut Lamborghini s .....gotta have a complete rethink.....ts probably not a good night hunting rig anyway
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics