FFP (F1) vs SFP (F2)

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

FFP (F1) vs SFP (F2)

Post by Aliqua » 08 Apr 2020, 5:22 pm

I have spent countless days reading blogs/reviews regarding to First Focal Point vs Second Focal Point, and either bias and personal preference has always made it hard for me to understand the true pro's and con's for each.

For example, I am favouring SFP, and I spoke to a shooter recently who stated that if you set your zoom to the maximum regardless of the distance shooting, then the mil will never change (because you are always at 25x for example) , however others have said that FFP is better because the MIL changes regardless of your zoom and keeping to the same scenarios, if you keep it at maximum zoom, then you really just have a larger display. To be honest, I'm completely lost as to the best option for a new long range shooter. I prefer the idea of just using it at ONE zoom (eg: 25x), rather than changing the zoom based on the distance.

While I say I'm new, I meant "owner", but I have shot a little with a fixed scope in the past. I want to buy one scope that is going to suit me while my skills grow - lets say starting at 100m, and eventually going up to anywhere near 1000m. Which option between FFP or SFP going to be better?

I would like to ask the members of this forum which focal point you use and why and/or for what purpose. I hope with enough information I will be able to get a better understanding.

Thanks in advance.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: FFP (F1) vs SFP (F2)

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2020, 7:12 pm

SFP for me everytime, I have yet to see any benefit at all to FFP. SFP gives you a finer reticle at high magnification. Out to 1000m you'll be ranging with a laser and dialing the reticle onto the target, you won't be using holdover marks.
Last edited by bladeracer on 09 Apr 2020, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Apr 2020, 7:27 pm

Are you sitting PRS, style matches. If not then you will approximately know your target range. Sfp scopes will be cheaper and better glass for same price point.

But look through them to get an idea. You may like one type of reticle or glass than another brand for similar money.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 08 Apr 2020, 9:22 pm

I prefer SFP

:thumbsup:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 09 Apr 2020, 7:03 am

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm looking at Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 F2 or if I can find the funds, Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 f2.

What do they say, "buy once, cry once".

Going uptown ATACR worth the extra coin?
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 09 Apr 2020, 7:35 am

There is a worthwhile post on this here, if you haven't seen it already - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12868#p215934
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Aliqua » 09 Apr 2020, 7:40 am

Thank you I will check it out!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

As Blade pointed out, the FFP retical has an advantage if you use it for ranging, not to say as you said that SFP retical cannot be used for that purpose. The disadvantage is that the FFP is that it is more expensive to produce and I would not purchase a budget scope with this retical because of the complexity of the retical and shortcuts that have to occur to make them on a budget. The Nightforce ATACR would not suffer in this regard.

On all of my competition scopes, I use Nightforce SFP scopes. I shoot medium to long range Benchrest. I never feel like someone has an advantage over me regarding optics.

I have a FFP Schmidt and Bender PM2 scope on a hunting rifle, I feel I made a mistake by choosing this retical. I use a range finder on my targets and don't see any advantage when holding for wind. I do not like the retical being super fine when I wind it down to 5x and need to turn on the illuminated retical in low light conditions. I would not need to do this if it was SFP.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the NXS, I love mine. The optics are excellent and I like the turrets much more than the S&B. I do not have a ATACR but would love to have one, if you have the budget, you should go for it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Aliqua » 09 Apr 2020, 12:19 pm

Thanks SCJ. Just some info - will be doing long distance range (prone/bench). Dont think I'll be hunting anytime soon (by current restrictions in VIC and also choice at this stage) so looking towards SFP.

Thank you for your detailed response. I'm heading to the local dealer today to have a look at the two models I indicated earlier. I need to see what they both look like at full power and the NXS is Analogue while the ATACR is Digital Illumination.

I really need to SEE the difference before committing to one or the other. Once I have the setup I can learn the math/physics and I guess you master what you have regardless of FFP or SFP?

Thanks again to all the inputs. Really glad I came across this forum.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics