Tac A1 scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Tac A1 scope

Post by poid » 11 Apr 2020, 9:24 pm

Hey fellas, I've got my hands on a Tac A1 manbun and now just need a scope for the thing....I find buying the glass is harder than buying the bloody rifles! It'll be a range gun to start with, 200-500m as I don't have anywhere to shoot longer distance (yet) but who knows what it'll end up doing. Hence a scope that has a bit of versatility to it would be good. Looking to keep it to around 2.5k or so, just because if I don't set a budget I'll end up spending heaps.

So far I've been looking at:

Swaro z5: I love my z3, but the Z5 in 5-25 seems to not have much elevation adjustment in it. Swaro doesn't seem to be used much outside of hunting?
Golden Eagle: the 15x minimum magnification is very high to me, seems like a scope that is good for benchrest and not much else. Good upper mag though and seems to get decent reviews
NXS 8-32: seems like a good option, only downside seems to be weight?

Anything else that I could be missing? Maybe a Zeiss conquest? DMR-II?
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Tac A1 scope

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Apr 2020, 10:36 pm

You probably need more than 30x magnification if you are competing at 500. A heavy scope is no disadvantage off a bench. I have never seen a golden eagle used in any bench competition.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by poid » 16 Apr 2020, 9:22 pm

When you saying competing your thinking benchrest specifically yeah? Not sure if that's the path I'll end up taking, and none of the scopes I'm looking at would be much good for that. I'm still relatively new, so I'll probably try a few different events etc before I know exactly what I'll be shooting longer term.

Maybe thinking about it differently, I could get something a Zeiss V4 6-24 which is less expensive and seems to be a solid enough scope, and then down the track chuck that one on my 250 and get a higher tier scope once I've gone down a particular path.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Aliqua » 16 Apr 2020, 9:49 pm

I just bought the NF NXS 8-32. one of the only models that wasnt affected by the priice rise (effective 9/4). If you buy a scope in stock you'll get old price, ordered in stock, new price except the 8-32 remained the same.

I can let you know what I think about it when I pick it up on monday.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by poid » 17 Apr 2020, 1:32 pm

Yep please do.

I went and had a look through an NX8 4-32...the eyebox is VERY unforgiving and I wouldn't want to be trying to take a quick shot through one.

Also had a look through a Meopta Optika6 in 4.5x27. For a scope that costs around a grand it has nice turrets and the glass is more than decent enough. From reviews and users they look like they are tracking and holding zero well so far. That could be good option, Meopta seems to have a decent reputation.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Apr 2020, 1:57 pm

I'd also take a look at the meopta optika 6. There's a 5-30 I think as well.
I've got a burris xtr2 5-25 on my tac A1 and don't think its anything special clarity wise.
The Athlon ares etr is impressive for the price at about 2.2k.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rwd22 » 17 Apr 2020, 3:03 pm

I've been curious about the Meopta Optika 6 range, I've peered through quite a few of the older models and was very impressed with the clarity.
I'm looking for a new scope to suit a rifle that is currently built in my head, but yet to get most of the components moving, the Optika 6 5-30 sounds right up my alley with all the right bits and lots of elevation adjustment, but haven't had the chance to look at one. For some reason the price tag being nearly half of the older high end Meopta's turns me off the idea a little, also with limited findings in reviews on the Optika6 doesn't help.

If anyone has one I'd love to hear your opinion, at current I'm looking at the lower-mid range nightforce or high-mid range vortex. Vortex has recently launched a 5-25x56mm Strike Eagle with a 34mm tube, all the specs sound fantastic, but at a price tag of $1100 odd I'm not sure what to think either.

My last semi-build has a Hawke Frontier 5-25x56 FFP scope on it, super happy with the quality for the price, but is a wee lacking in the elevation side and unfortunately as far as the Hawke's go, that is more or less the top tier, so I'm on the search for something else.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 17 Apr 2020, 7:41 pm

I’ve got the swaro Z5 on my tac A1, shoots well at the range and in the field,
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by poid » 28 Apr 2020, 5:28 pm

I did more reading up on the Optika6, thought I would hold off until they have been around a bit longer and have a track record.

I've ended up ordering a Bushnell XRS 2 4.5-30x50mm as I got a good price on it, they seem to be robust and track well so I'll see how it goes. It's FFP as well which I was keen on, my other scopes are SFP so keen to use something different.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Apr 2020, 5:46 pm

What is a Bushnell XRS worth when it is on special?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Apr 2020, 10:35 pm

poid wrote:I did more reading up on the Optika6, thought I would hold off until they have been around a bit longer and have a track record.

I've ended up ordering a Bushnell XRS 2 4.5-30x50mm as I got a good price on it, they seem to be robust and track well so I'll see how it goes. It's FFP as well which I was keen on, my other scopes are SFP so keen to use something different.

Was in a similar situation as you for a little while - finally bought a Z5 today.
I also have the bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30/ 50 tactical - the predecessor to your XRS. I’m not sure if they improved the glass in the new model - but I had / have issues in the top end of magnification with the bushy and it seems to be a common complaint. Up to 24x it’s pretty decent, ever so slightly lesser glass than a vx3 in my opinion but still very good. Tracks very nicely but I’ve recently had issue with lax and it had to go back to NIOA - but I’m sure it will be sorted regardless. As per SC - how did you go with price on sale ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by poid » 29 Apr 2020, 8:08 am

I looked long and hard at the Z5 because I love Swaro glass, I just didn't like the reticles they offered for use on this particular gun.

I haven't looked through a 6500 but the XRS2 glass is meant to be an improvement. I'll know properly once I can actually test it out on a target...with any luck very soon since NSW is allowing you to travel regionally again and I really need to get to the property and make sure things are OK.

I paid $2400 for it, might the first time I've set a budget for some shooting gear and come in under
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics