BDC Reticle v adjustable turrets

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

BDC Reticle v adjustable turrets

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Apr 2020, 12:07 pm

As the title suggests...Is there any comparison?
I know the difference, but does knowing your Reticle really well stack up against having adjustable turrets?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: BDC Reticle v adjustable turrets

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Apr 2020, 3:09 pm

BDC is a bit of a gimmick and the markings are unlikely to match your loads but if you know your setup well they can be useful. If I have time I use my turrets to dial up. If rushed you can use the markings to help you hold off. For most of my hunting, I am shooting at less than 300 and have a fair idea where to hold. If I am set up for some long range stuff, I range it and then take the time to wind up.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 12 Apr 2020, 4:47 pm

Honestly ,
deer dont give you enough time to spin the turrets ...............
BDC rets are good out to 300m provided you have spent some time at the range and know precisely the correct hold over.

Personally - i sight in most of my medium / large game calibre to shoot 2.5-3 inches high at 100m - and this will give you a maximum point blank range out to 270-300metres. Simply hold on the heart/lung region of your quarry and shoot (out to 300m)

Most old school hunters shoot this way and if i am corrected the doyen Nick Harvey does too......if its good enough for uncle Nick its good for me too!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 12 Apr 2020, 6:56 pm

I really dont like the BDC scopes. Not that adjusting turrets is the only way to go. I would much prefer a Hash type marked reticle the benifit of that is the divisions are all linear and normally equate to a distance at a certain magnification.
The BDC scopes normally have large dots that cover up a lot of the target and the dots are not evenly spaced they are set to drops that are meant to occur at distances. Of course that drop is only applicable if you are shooting the correct weight bullet at the correct muzzle velocity that the dots were calibrated for.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 13 Apr 2020, 1:26 am

Harrynsw wrote:As the title suggests...Is there any comparison?
I know the difference, but does knowing your Reticle really well stack up against having adjustable turrets?

What do you mean by adjustable turrets, aren't all turrets adjustable?

It depends on what you're using it for. For precision shooting you are better dialing the elevation to give you a dead-on hold to eliminate can't.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Apr 2020, 12:27 pm

[/quote]

What do you mean by adjustable turrets, aren't all turrets adjustable?

It depends on what you're using it for. For precision shooting you are better dialing the elevation to give you a dead-on hold to eliminate can't.[/quote]

Should've been BDC Reticle v adjusting turrets.

Because I want a hunting scope with covered turrets in FFP so I can use the BDC Reticle because in all torture tests iv seen if the exposed turrets cop a knock it damages the turret, so I want to eliminate that possibility.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Apr 2020, 12:32 pm

But then my problem then is there's not a lot in FFP with covered turrets, I think all iv come across so far is the Bushnell Nitro which has average reviews ie mushy turrets which I don't like the sound of because every scope iv owned with mushy turrets has been rubbish.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 13 Apr 2020, 3:57 pm

I like a Xmas tree reticle... :thumbsup:

But i dont like the ones with dots--theyre annoying & cover too much target.

Relatively thin varmint type reticles like in Leo's VX3's are good.

I like them illuminated for spotighting in bushy areas...handy if you want to use reduced loads...just shoot & know the magnification the zoom needs to be on for hash marks to correlate & youre good for all general purpose hunting...ie-out to 300ish.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by InisBineest » 13 Apr 2020, 7:23 pm

I've mucked around with the Bushnell 223 BDC reticule and found that it was a bit of a pill to get a load that matched it. If you want to be able to hold over using the reticule, I'd recommend Mil Dots or something similar with MOA hash marks. Then take some time on the range (with or without chrono) to work out your holdovers at different distances.

I do have another Bushnell scope with an elevation turret marked out for distances out to 300m with a 22LR... now that thing is magic:D At least with a Savage A22R, it hits everything i dial it to within +/-1MOA assuming i have the distance correct.

I find myself learning away from BDC and either sighting it in at a distance that gives mea good point blank for a humane kill, or figuring out the elevation dial ins.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2020, 5:49 am

InisBineest wrote:I've mucked around with the Bushnell 223 BDC reticule and found that it was a bit of a pill to get a load that matched it. If you want to be able to hold over using the reticule, I'd recommend Mil Dots or something similar with MOA hash marks. Then take some time on the range (with or without chrono) to work out your holdovers at different distances.

I do have another Bushnell scope with an elevation turret marked out for distances out to 300m with a 22LR... now that thing is magic:D At least with a Savage A22R, it hits everything i dial it to within +/-1MOA assuming i have the distance correct.

I find myself learning away from BDC and either sighting it in at a distance that gives mea good point blank for a humane kill, or figuring out the elevation dial ins.

There is absolutely no need to develop a load that follows the reticle graduations. Use whatever load you prefer, then record the ranges that your bullet intersects the dots. You can use the same BDC for everything, I use the 223BDC for 710fps .22LR, .44Mag, 6.5x55mm ELDM's to 4400fps .204 - it makes no difference at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm

What method do you use for doing that Blade...?

With mine for hunting, i just really only use them for the reduced loads, so in the back of my head i remember how far above or below the mark the POI is at even/normal/simple ranges--suach as 100, 150, & 200. (always above for my scopes as i use flat shooters 22-250 & 204)

Then i also make mental note of where it lands at 300 & always just hold...

Trying to head shoot bunny's at 300 i usually/or most often miss the first shot over their head, maybe 2, but then im on & all is good.

Anyway, is there a better way than wasting a heap of ammo & walking the target back & forth...?
(forgive my agricultural way of thinking)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2020, 1:17 pm

Stix wrote:What method do you use for doing that Blade...?

With mine for hunting, i just really only use them for the reduced loads, so in the back of my head i remember how far above or below the mark the POI is at even/normal/simple ranges--suach as 100, 150, & 200. (always above for my scopes as i use flat shooters 22-250 & 204)

Then i also make mental note of where it lands at 300 & always just hold...

Trying to head shoot bunny's at 300 i usually/or most often miss the first shot over their head, maybe 2, but then im on & all is good.

Anyway, is there a better way than wasting a heap of ammo & walking the target back & forth...?
(forgive my agricultural way of thinking)

In a paddock, having fun :-)
You can calculate the trajectory first, then go out and confirm in the real world.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics