Rangefinders 1000m +

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Rangefinders 1000m +

Post by Aliqua » 13 Apr 2020, 10:21 pm

Would like to discuss which rangefinders people are preferring and why?

Ideally would like to consider one that has angle compensation.

Was looking st Bushnell for price, but all the websites are saying Leupold for accuracy. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Rangefinders 1000m +

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Apr 2020, 11:04 pm

I have a Leupold RX1300. It does what it says on the box. I dont use it all that much as I am mainly fox shooting at night. Having said that, I am pleased I bought it.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2020, 5:38 am

I have a Kogan 800m that has done a lot of good work and is looking tatty, so I bought a Visionking 1400m one a few months back that works just fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 14 Apr 2020, 7:11 am

We are all resistant to brainwashing via advertising, aren't we.
Think about it.
The products being considered all come from much the same producers in China who source from much the same component suppliers so how much premium should you pay for a label.
Quite a few years ago I bought a 600 meter cheapie off ebay that looked a lot like an unbranded Nikko Stirling available at that time for about 1/4 the price. Never a problem except for flat batteries.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juano86 » 14 Apr 2020, 9:21 am

I have the Leupold RX-2800. the reason i went to the better model was because it has the 7x magnification. easier to focus on targets at extended ranges and extremely reliably ranges targets at well beyond 1000yrds.
Been using it for target LR shooting and hunting for about 12 months and i cant fault it.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2020, 12:50 pm

juano86 wrote:I have the Leupold RX-2800. the reason i went to the better model was because it has the 7x magnification. easier to focus on targets at extended ranges and extremely reliably ranges targets at well beyond 1000yrds.
Been using it for target LR shooting and hunting for about 12 months and i cant fault it.

That's a good point. My 600m one is 6-power I think, the VK is 8-power, so I keep it on my belt all the time as it's a decent monocular as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 14 Apr 2020, 2:22 pm

I use Leupold, never had an issue, but then I bought all the Leupold gear I have (bow rangefinders and one hand held) back when $1AUD bought us $1.24USD so got them for a steal.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Aliqua » 14 Apr 2020, 2:23 pm

That was my next question. Was looking at binoculars to take on holiday (not shooting) but they are 2k+.

I might look into the Leupold 1300...

Monocular is good enough??
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2020, 2:32 pm

Aliqua wrote:That was my next question. Was looking at binoculars to take on holiday (not shooting) but they are 2k+.

I might look into the Leupold 1300...

Monocular is good enough??

I prefer binocular vision over a monocular, but good binos tend to be too big for everyday carry.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 14 Apr 2020, 2:46 pm

I hate binoculars, I have a cross dominance in my eyes... Makes focussing with binoculars a pain in the ass... Monocular all the way for me... But in saying that I usually don't bother.... My long range vision is pretty good on its own, and I already have the rifle with me, so why bother carrying extra optics when there is a perfectly good one mounted on the gun
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Aliqua » 14 Apr 2020, 3:20 pm

If my scope had a rangefinder in it id share your thought :)

I want the monocular/binocular for my wife/spotter to confirm the distance if she comes along. Sending 308s downrange at 3.50$ a piece... I dont want to miss too often haha!

I guess it's going to be a leupold 1300-1800 or the binocular rangefinder if we want to utilise them on holidays too.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2020, 4:11 pm

Ziege wrote:I hate binoculars, I have a cross dominance in my eyes... Makes focussing with binoculars a pain in the ass... Monocular all the way for me... But in saying that I usually don't bother.... My long range vision is pretty good on its own, and I already have the rifle with me, so why bother carrying extra optics when there is a perfectly good one mounted on the gun

My girlfriend and my brother can't use binos for reasons of their eyes, but I really miss the depth of field in a mono.
I really can't recommend anybody develop the habit of glassing an area with a scope mounted on a firearm.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 14 Apr 2020, 10:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:
My girlfriend and my brother can't use binos for reasons of their eyes, but I really miss the depth of field in a mono.
I really can't recommend anybody develop the habit of glassing an area with a scope mounted on a firearm.

Too late I guess, seeing as how I do it regularly, I see no reason not to, in Australia what area are you in that you're brandishing a firearm and can't freely peer through the scope? Why Carey a monocular or binoculars when you have a scope?? There is little to no reason, wank factor maybe but yeah...
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 14 Apr 2020, 10:31 pm

Aliqua wrote:If my scope had a rangefinder in it id share your thought :)

I want the monocular/binocular for my wife/spotter to confirm the distance if she comes along. Sending 308s downrange at 3.50$ a piece... I dont want to miss too often haha!

I guess it's going to be a leupold 1300-1800 or the binocular rangefinder if we want to utilise them on holidays too.

What 308 are you shooting that's $3.50 a shot?? I thought you 308 fans shoot them because of their bountiful and cheap ammo?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2020, 5:44 am

Ziege wrote:[quote="bladeracer"

I really can't recommend anybody develop the habit of glassing an area with a scope mounted on a firearm.[/quote

Too late I guess, seeing as how I do it regularly, I see no reason not to, in Australia what area are you in that you're brandishing a firearm and can't freely peer through the scope? Why Carey a monocular or binoculars when you have a scope?? There is little to no reason, wank factor maybe but yeah...

If you can live with explaining to your own family and somebody else's family how you managed to accidentally kill somebody, then carry on. I would struggle to consider it accidental when you are actually aiming at that movement you saw in the bush when your unloaded rifle accidentally discharged.

I carry binoculars because I can see into bush more clearly than with a monocular. I also have my rangefinder though for those quick looks before moving.
Last edited by bladeracer on 15 Apr 2020, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 15 Apr 2020, 6:27 am

Ziege wrote:What 308 are you shooting that's $3.50 a shot?? I thought you 308 fans shoot them because of their bountiful and cheap ammo?

I didn't know there were such things as '308 fans'. I have a 308. I have ammo that costs me 3.50 a round. I want to learn to shoot long range - accurately, and there is technology out there that can assist me in doing that. I didn't think there was anything wrong with me asking the community of fellow enthusiasts about a good rangefinder that works over 1000m.

Thank-you to those who have contributed my enquiry.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rwd22 » 17 Apr 2020, 3:09 pm

I've been doing a bit of reading on the Sig Sauer Kilo range finders, don't seem too overly priced in comparison to some, few different models available. Has the added ability of ballistic calculation if paired with the app for phone (Required for data input, don't have to have the phone with you at all times as the range finder stores the data).

Was actually just looking at them for a basic range finder, then stumbled across the ballistic calculation side, thought it only worked for the Bluetooth paired scopes, but will give you an MOA/Mil adjustment figure if you are that way inclined, nothing beats pen and paper, but just thought it was a nice addition to a decent quality range finder.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 17 Apr 2020, 3:38 pm

Thankyou. I'm hoping to start with apps and copy that to pen and paper. I like the idea of knowing the math.

Will have a look at sig too. Thanks!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 17 Apr 2020, 4:11 pm

Most range finders have a balistic function built into them. Many have say 10-20 pre programed ballistic curves built into them. with the option of zeros at 100 or 200 yrds. They will often also have a custom setting where you can enter your own values to generate the curve.
A function I have found I never use I normally have a drop table printed out from a program like JBM for a specific load I am shooting if its not one I know nearly by heart.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Apr 2020, 4:11 pm

Buy golf rangefinders. They've been around for many years and you have a much better chance of finding a bargain.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2020, 4:45 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Buy golf rangefinders. They've been around for many years and you have a much better chance of finding a bargain.

Very few golf rangefinders extend to 1000m+.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 18 Apr 2020, 2:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:Very few golf rangefinders extend to 1000m+.

Mine does. Up to about 1300m I can laser a target, then it gets difficult to know exactly what the laser is hitting past that.

ADB31D5B-20FB-4540-924C-4CA46F037C55.jpeg
ADB31D5B-20FB-4540-924C-4CA46F037C55.jpeg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 4323 times
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Apr 2020, 4:25 pm

I have a $100 ebay special that was meant to range 1000.
It successfully ranges 7-800 with a good reflective surface.
BUT - my old dog can run at 20.7 kmh and my pup, well he nudged 29 when annoying the old girl.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Scopes, sights and optics