Bushnell Nitro 6-24X50 any love?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bushnell Nitro 6-24X50 any love?

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Apr 2020, 2:36 pm

Thinking of one of these with second focal plane, for rimfire target shooting. Reviews on Yt are discouraging. The quality of the reviewers is an unknown. So I'm asking you blokes what you reckon.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Bushnell Nitro 6-24X50 any love?

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2020, 2:52 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Thinking of one of these with second focal plane, for rimfire target shooting. Reviews on Yt are discouraging. The quality of the reviewers is an unknown. So I'm asking you blokes what you reckon.

For $1000 they should be decent. What are people finding wrong with it?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 15 Apr 2020, 5:22 pm

This review is the best I could find as I was/am/could be considering one of these scopes.
https://youtu.be/-RnDStUPOM8
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Apr 2020, 5:27 pm

bladeracer,
Ivan Moreno said his was "useless past 18 magnifications".
I suppose he could have a dud but it is possible that the ocular lens was not focused, plus a variety of things.
Tom Lloyd could not zero his rifle, even with his accomplished friend shooting it.
I gave up after that. Anything could be wrong with the rifle for all we know.

That is why I came here. To listen to people who know what they are doing, generally speaking and preferably with this particular brand/model of scope. You just would not know with Yt, whereas Enoughgun members have a track record. Should have come here in the first place but thought I would give you blokes a break and do my own research.

I should add that those people's names are the names of the uploaders on Yt.
Last edited by Wm.Traynor on 15 Apr 2020, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 15 Apr 2020, 5:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:For $1000 they should be decent. What are people finding wrong with it?

You can pick 1 up in Sydney for just over $800
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 15 Apr 2020, 9:32 pm

Bushnell made some cracking scopes in the old 3200, 4200 and 6500 - and the 6500 in particular had some very good glass within and all were made in Japan.
I used the 3200's exclusively as a hunting scope for many years and they never missed a beat.

Bushnell recently decided to rebrand and gave their scopes a refreshed look and new names - Nitro. Forge, Engage but still have the Elite models and the AR/AK line too.

As always you get what you pay for with optics - there is no way out of that equation. Many mid-price scopes with high mag ranges like 18x or 24x can give you problems at the higher settings - something that you will probably not see when you opt for high end glass that commands $2000 + .

If the scope in question isnt functioning as it should return it to Nioa - the Australian importer - and they will take a look at it and either replace it with a new one or repair it .

Bushnell scopes are very well regarded and well built.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Apr 2020, 9:52 pm

Are they well regarded by rimfire target shooters?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 15 Apr 2020, 10:37 pm

Wm.
I have 7 (i think) Bushnells.
They consist of 3 of the new cheapies--i got them when they were released & got em cheap as they had a cashback offer, so cost sfa.
2 X Trophy Extreme 6-24x50 w/30mm tube.(Varmint Reticle).
1 x Trophy Extreme 2.5-15x50 w/30mm tube. (Illuminated Xmas tree)
Got these for spotlighting as they have thick reticle

3x Elite 4500 4-16x40's 25mm tube.
1x Elite 4500 6-24x40 25mm tube
Got these for daylight hunting, good contrast & shadow detail & small n light.

I love the size weight & range of the 4-16's for daylight hunting...but...keep reading...

All 3 of the Trophy Extreme's were/are faulty--dont track.
Had one replaced & that too is faulty--this one doesnt hold zero. :roll:
I put it on my foxing 204 last trip out & it shot high & low--blew the spine out (above shoulders) of 4 foxes, & the bottom of chest out of 3--all shots under 180 yds (all bar 2 out of 25 shots were under 150 odd yds and 2 of these were 70 & 80 yds...all shots from a window rest with ignition off & fox in no hurry to get away) all while sighted in .75" high at 100m....i was beside myself wanting to keep fur.... :twisted:

Of the 4-16x40 Elite's, ive had one replaced that so far hasnt had a workout, although i pulled it out last trip & the zero had shifted couple inches to the left... :unknown:
I wound it back to zero ok but left it there...i have my reservations.

One of the other 4-16's is also faulty--doesnt track...

So far of all these scopes--thats 9 including the replacements, 7 are faulty.

If i were you, id either research the turret systems & if they are the same as the scopes i have, id give it a miss.
Or...just take the risk.

Ill not buy another...i have some serious negotiating to do, because i can tell you ive wasted some serious amounts of ammo on zero'ing, & re-zero'ing these POS scopes--if you include trips to farms & ranges for chasing my tail load testing, & many missed goats & wasted fuel, it all amounts to bigger amounts of money than ANY 3 (or more) of what ive spent on these scopes.

I wouldnt even be game to hit an intruder with one--the turret would likely jump out & run away....

And no, i dont mistreat them...the worst thats happened is one of them has gad the old tip over & hit the handbrake--not something that should render a scope useless...

Its funny that you're looking elsewhere than Leo's from what, if i remember correctly, is a similar history of problems to what im having, & im looking towards Leo's for the same reasons... :lol:

Ive also got a faulty Zeiss...they arent much chop/or as good as they are "alledged"to be optically either... ;)

Im sorry if ive deflated you...im trying to not let emotion get in the way & just tell it straight.
Id be happy to sell any of them to you if you dont believe me... :)
:sarcasm:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Apr 2020, 6:55 am

[/quote]

For $1000 they should be decent. What are people finding wrong with it?[/quote]

This day and age? Almost nothing is guaranteed to be quality...regardless of price.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Apr 2020, 8:47 am

Stix
Very sorry for your trouble mate. Makes me think that they don't deserve customers for any of their products, whether or not the turret systems check out ok. Just gives me a bad feeling like something was going to fall on me ...................sometime. :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2020, 8:49 am

TassieTiger wrote:[/quote

For $1000 they should be decent. What are people finding wrong with it?[/quote

This day and age? Almost nothing is guaranteed to be quality...regardless of price.

Agreed, price has nothing to do with quality of product, just quality of marketing the product.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by allan » 16 Apr 2020, 11:13 am

I've got a NITRO 5-20X44 SFP Deploy MOA reticule which I bought a while back for range use on a Lithgow LA101.
These are made in South Korea. I also have Elite 4200 & 4500 in 6-24 (Japan) and would have to say that the glass on the Elites is better than the Nitro. I also have a number of Weaver Grand Slam, Classic, Sightron etc all in similar power ranges. The Nitro glass seems "dull" compared to all of these.
Having said that, I have no issues with it for rim fire range use. It tracks reliably and holds zero. The Deploy MOA reticule is a little coarse compared to a Weaver Varminter.
Are you able to check out the Nitro before you buy?
I've been running my 5-20 alongside a Sightron Stac 4-20X50 (MOA reticule) mounted on a Walther target rifle. While I'd call the Bushnell "adequate" for my needs, the Philippines made Sightron would be the keeper.

allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by solarpak » 16 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm

Blimey,
reading Stix's experience with his seven Bushnell's - thats not good at all.
Maybe lemon's do exist with all makes and models .......one poster said that one of his Zeiss was faulty.

I can only tell of my experience with the older elite 3200's - which were all good.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 16 Apr 2020, 1:38 pm

Definitely an emerging pattern with Bushnell, it used to be a name I could trust, but what I'm reading combined with reports from fellow Australians and YouTube clips from the USA, I think it's time to find a new brand.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Apr 2020, 1:50 pm

Yes Harrynsw,
My next scope, if any, will not be a Bushnell. The experiences of Stix in particular have quite put me off.

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Apr 2020, 5:19 pm

I wonder how many faulty ones are out there...

Of the cheaper ones i have, only the "replacement" one doesnt hold zero as i recently found out...( if i get time ill post some pics of foxes where the scope has lost zero)...
(Actually, sorry 2 of them now dont hold)

Aside from that, all the others actually hold zerro, but dont track...so if i changes (dialled) the zero for reduced loads, it would take me a dozen or more shots untill i could be sure it was back good enough to head shoot a bunny a 250 again...
If i didnt dial, or dialled & let off a good number of shots for the scope to settle, it held zero just fine & didnt actually wander more than a couple of clicks in well over a year, maybe 2 years--every time i checked it would hit a bunnys head at 150 no worries.

So given how many people dont actually stuff around with scopes & dialling, i wonder how many of these faulty ones are actually out there... :unknown:

And are you sure i cant tempt you with free postage Wm...? :)

(Just kidding---i wouldnt sell one to you, or anyone for that matter.. :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Apr 2020, 7:14 pm

No thanks Stix. I'm not ready for the loony bin yet :lol: :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by poid » 16 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

Are you sure you don't beat the bunnies with your scopes Stix? What a run of bad luck!

My only Bushnell is mounted on a 22, so far it's been a solid scope. Of course on a 22 I've only touched the turrets to zero the thing, so it could suck at tracking and I wouldn't know.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Hoppa 101 » 28 May 2022, 3:47 pm

Bushnell replaced my old Elite with one of these. Optic quality is poor. Performance under spotlight in the half light area of the beam leaves you with a scope full of brown smudge. The adjustments on mine are way too coarse at around 13mm per click. I'm using this scope professionally so it's in line to get booted. It's not half the scope my Elite was :problem:
Animal Control Contractor
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Jun 2022, 3:17 pm

FWIW, my new scope is a Leupold 3-9 yes only 3-9, with parallax correction at the objective end, from 10 or so yards to the moon. So 'Why Leupold", I hear you all cry, considering all the trouble they have been over the years? Well, it's because I can get them fixed (ICGTF). It's a nuisance because they do need it but it is quick, being carried out in Qld.
"But why only 3-9X?" The maker fooled us all. Unknown to the dealer, the bigger one that was ordered was no longer being made. Nobody knew :o and I had waited months :crazy: :evil:
I jumped for the little one and I like it :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics