Scope rings and base queries???

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope rings and base queries???

Post by ozzielee303 » 08 May 2020, 9:02 pm

Hi All
Just getting ready to get bases and rings for my Howa Mini Action 223 H/B(when I'm allowed to get my PTA)
I am thinking on getting a picatinny base and I see there are different one's 0moa and 20 moa,which one should I get for just hunting?

The scope I am thinking on will be a 50 mm objective,what scope ring height do any of you have on your Howa Mini for 30mm scope size,would low be too low,or go for medium,the other alternative is a set of Talley rings.
Any thoughts please

Thanking you in advance :drinks:
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Scope rings and base queries???

Post by solarpak » 08 May 2020, 9:09 pm

Ozzie,
get a 0 MOA picatinny base and medium Burris Zee rings (to suit the picatinny rail) - will work with a 50mm objective no problems.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ozzielee303 » 08 May 2020, 9:30 pm

solarpak wrote:Ozzie,
get a 0 MOA picatinny base and medium Burris Zee rings (to suit the picatinny rail) - will work with a 50mm objective no problems.

C.

Thanks mate
:drinks:
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Franks » 09 May 2020, 3:40 pm

Omoa rail with whatever rings are durable and maintain ur correct line of sight through the scope. Too high or low is no good to keep ur cheek weld
Franks
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 09 May 2020, 6:26 pm

solarpak wrote:Ozzie,

C.

I have to second this recommendation. If you shoot your 223 way past 500 you can put your inserts into the Burris rings. They are very kind to your scope tube and rugged.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ozzielee303 » 10 May 2020, 10:44 am

Thanks all,ordered a set and the picatinny rail
Do any of you use threadlocker on your bases and scope rings?
If so,which one?
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 10 May 2020, 11:35 am

I use Locktite 222 on my pic rail but nothing on my rIngs.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ozzielee303 » 10 May 2020, 4:14 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I use Locktite 222 on my pic rail but nothing on my rIngs.

Thanks SCJ429
I see on the internet,that people say,to use it on your scope rings,as well as your bases and :allegedly: they say to use Blue loctite on the bases and use purple on the scope rings,I have not used any on my scope rings before :unknown:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics