Setting up new scopes level - MDT chassis ISSUE?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Setting up new scopes level - MDT chassis ISSUE?

Post by TassieTiger » 19 May 2020, 1:23 pm

And bi pod legs are not necessarily going to have your rifle sitting true either...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by rookie » 27 May 2020, 10:08 pm

Good luck with it TassieTiger - I like the look of the ESS too and bit of a shock to see u having an issue considering it’s supposed to be their premium chassis. It’s something I want to get sometime down the track so hope they sort it for u.

Curious, are you dealing with MDT in Canada for support? Or do they have a local/regional office closer to us? Do u think there’d be any issue getting their replacement part shipped in? (Ie. customs / border force)

Also did u buy the chassis new from a shop here?
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 28 May 2020, 1:26 pm

I bought from QLD but replacement is coming from Canada...
Yeah it is a bit disappointing, a premium chassis should be spot in - especially given the $$$ but they ve been good to deal with and it must be remembered that the problem I’ve encountered does not necessarily impact the operation. But it is off putting seeing the barrel / chassis on an angle...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Larry » 28 May 2020, 8:28 pm

TassieTiger wrote:And bi pod legs are not necessarily going to have your rifle sitting true either...

Thats why you should always get a bipod that allows for cant. If your rifle is not level any adjustments made on the turrets are going to be in the wrong direction in respect to Vertical and Horizontal displacement.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by TassieTiger » 28 May 2020, 8:40 pm

Absolutely Larry - I took it for granted that my bipod legs would be exactly the same - but nope. A couple mm out transferred to the rifle a few degrees off centre....and even “some” levels with bubbles, I’ve seen ppl get the bubble within the lines and say she’ll be right. But if your not absolutely centring that bubble, at distance, that .5 degree That you might be out - will come in to play...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Larry » 28 May 2020, 9:28 pm

I started with a Harris or knock off without notches and it could be a pain to get the legs to adjust to the right length. then i bought one with the notches and realised that it was a problem when not shooting on flat land. which I often do shooting of a side of a hill or any old ground. I think the non notched legs are probably more versatile. But i have more with notched legs. I bought 6, 9 and 12 inch versions off X hunter on ebay. again matching the bipod to the terrain you are shooting can be essential. If you are shooting on a down sloping hill you really need a bipod with long legs to get the rifle back to horizontal if the game is on the other side of a valley.

I could not find any difference in quality or materials between the $35 ebay jobs and the nearly $200 original Harris bi pods i bought,

Sorry off topic but it may help someone when contemplating what to look for in a bi pod.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by TassieTiger » 28 May 2020, 10:20 pm

My notches on my Harris are out by between 2-5 mm.

I bought a cheap eBay unit that does allow cant, twist, and vertical - but that means it’s 100% reliant on the shooter to hold his rifle 100% vertical and I don’t many do...

It’s not something I’ve worried too much about but as I stretch further and further out with target shooting, it becomes more and more important. Tiny parts of degrees off vertical, ends up being inches at 600m plus...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Rwd22 » 29 May 2020, 9:37 am

Accurate bipod legs or not, wouldn't it just validate having a good anti-cant device? Rather than being concerned about your bipod being dead flat on different terrains or tables. One of my harris clones is so far out, an extra notch higher on the right hand leg is required to get it close to level, haha.

Interested to see how your replacement chassis goes Tassie and whether you encounter the same problem again, the ESS is touted as one of their premium chassis, but at the end of the day we're still only talking about about an off the shelf, bolt together set-up, that really isn't that expensive for the manufacturing that goes into it.

Having a look at some of the Masterpiece Arms chassis and GCPD Arms chassis quickly validates how reasonably priced the MDT stuff is.

I'm hoping to be setting up another ESS shortly, just waiting on the barrelled action to show up. I wanted to go FDE this time around, but sounds like they only have Black in the Howa long action at the moment.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rookie » 29 May 2020, 1:11 pm

TassieTiger wrote:it is off putting seeing the barrel / chassis on an angle...

Definitely chase it up :thumbsup: ... its not like it’s a $99 hogue stock .. you put good money down for it

Larry wrote:I started with a Harris or knock off .. [snip] .. I bought 6, 9 and 12 inch versions off X hunter on ebay. .. [snip] .. I could not find any difference in quality or materials between the $35 ebay jobs and the nearly $200 original Harris bi pods i bought,

Sorry off topic but it may help someone when contemplating what to look for in a bi pod.

thanks for this Larry, I always wondered if these copies are any good ... might get one to try out ... thanks for naming the eBay shop (I have bought from there in the past also)
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bcr83 » 05 Jun 2020, 7:55 am

In terms of fitment and alignment in still waiting on my ota to come through but my brother test fitted in his Howa 1500 and it came out perfect, very nice to hold.

Only thing I noticed is the poly mag has about 5mm vertical play in the mag well. Not sure how this will affect feeding.
bcr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rwd22 » 05 Jun 2020, 8:58 am

Are you able to pull the magazine out of the mag well without using the release latch? I run the full metal mags with my Howa and needed to trim the front edge of the mag for it to seat properly, it would insert into the mag well but I was able to pull it out without using the latch. I think the Poly/Metal mags are advertised as being suitable for the Howa action, but the others required modification from memory. Took me about 5 minutes with the metal mags, so if you needed to, it would be short work with the poly mags.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 05 Jun 2020, 9:53 am

I know a "little" about levelling scopes....I use a Bosch Quigo laser level which projects both a vertical and horizontal line. I clamp a 4' spirit level to the rail on the rifle and clamp the rifle into my rest. I then adjust the rest so the bubble is perfectly level then mount the scope while checking alignment on the laser which is projected onto my neighbors garage door across the street. Might sound like a bit of effort but it's a once off process for each rifle. Also to start another debate, I lap the rings and use a drop of epoxy to secure the scope.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 05 Jun 2020, 9:54 am

I bought a Mesa Hi tube adaptor for a 7615 There is a spacer that needs to go between the rail and the action. It is the wrong size in height, the holes for the screws are in the wrong spot and the screws that screw it to the action are the wrong size. Then likewise the screws and hole placement is wrong for the rail to the spacer.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jun 2020, 11:11 am

MDT sent me a new chassis 20/5 - and I’m thinking couple weeks...not realising they sent it from Canada. Lol. Bugger. Etc.

Brett - why the epoxy on scope rings ? My understanding of epoxy resins is that a sharp force will break the hard sealed resin regardless - so would that not become problematic after a few shots of larger recoiling rifles?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 05 Jun 2020, 1:31 pm

TassieTiger wrote:MDT sent me a new chassis 20/5 - and I’m thinking couple weeks...not realising they sent it from Canada. Lol. Bugger. Etc.

Brett - why the epoxy on scope rings ? My understanding of epoxy resins is that a sharp force will break the hard sealed resin regardless - so would that not become problematic after a few shots of larger recoiling rifles?

It acts similar to a bedding compound rather then a glue in this case with the joy of being easily removed with a little heat. Also, given that the rings are lapped the clamping force shouldn't allow any jolt along the scope tube in theory anyway. I also lapped the base of the rail to the receiver and epoxied it as well :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jun 2020, 2:09 pm

Cheers mate. Never thought orbit like that.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bcr83 » 16 Jun 2020, 7:34 pm

Rwd22 wrote:Are you able to pull the magazine out of the mag well without using the release latch? I run the full metal mags with my Howa and needed to trim the front edge of the mag for it to seat properly, it would insert into the mag well but I was able to pull it out without using the latch. I think the Poly/Metal mags are advertised as being suitable for the Howa action, but the others required modification from memory. Took me about 5 minutes with the metal mags, so if you needed to, it would be short work with the poly mags.

No definitely can't pull the poly mag out, the spring is strong and there is a nib on the poly mag that catches well. I want to run a metal mag but I've got 223 and they don't do aics mags that fit
bcr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jun 2020, 1:30 pm

So, I’ve just called in sick from work and am now sitting at my letter box - my replacement MDT chassis is finally turning up today...will be very interesting to see if the chassis was the problem or it’s the recoil lug as they believed.

I’ve had a brand new nightforce, new trigger set up, crap load of 300wm reloads in .2 increments all ready to go, 6 weeks ago, when they agreed to send a new one...from Canada...

Bloody cold near this letter box :violin:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jun 2020, 1:31 pm

So, I’ve just called in sick from work and am now sitting at my letter box - my replacement MDT chassis is finally turning up today...will be very interesting to see if the chassis was the problem or it’s the recoil lug as they believed.

I’ve had a brand new nightforce, new trigger set up, crap load of 300wm reloads in .2 increments all ready to go, 6 weeks ago, when they agreed to send a new one...from Canada...

Bloody cold near this letter box :violin:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 24 Jun 2020, 2:59 pm

was wondering why you were doing the night shift last night Tassie ;)

ccp covid maybe :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jun 2020, 8:49 pm

Working some big hours MM...shift work and half day shifts...sleep is hard to come by of late, but it lets me stay on top of Bulldust corner in here lol :allegedly:

So, the replacement MDT chassis turned up and....it’s better, the barrel alignment is ok but I ended up shimming it to get it perfect. Then there’s the hand grip area that looks like a baby has glued it in off centre...and some general figment is just bad - large gaps one side, snug and tight on other...the photos kinda show it, but if it was a local arrangement - it would go back.

2 pics show barrel alignment before and after shimming.
0F86CE78-FDB0-4F03-BED2-82E7FD8F5186.jpeg
0F86CE78-FDB0-4F03-BED2-82E7FD8F5186.jpeg (55.46 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
44465868-AF93-478F-9BDF-24BBC0BC99B4.jpeg
44465868-AF93-478F-9BDF-24BBC0BC99B4.jpeg (53.55 KiB) Viewed 5703 times

Unfortunately - This will be my last MDT product, which is a shame as I know others have been very happy with theirs and I like the look / function. But - precision ? Not even close...for the money - there has to be better quality control.
Pic 3 and 4 shows handle on chassis...
Attachments
EB2FBE34-1867-4A5D-AB59-4AF1C2D47AD0.jpeg
EB2FBE34-1867-4A5D-AB59-4AF1C2D47AD0.jpeg (82.14 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
4E46DE3C-3A9B-454D-B787-E1C0F48B17AA.jpeg
4E46DE3C-3A9B-454D-B787-E1C0F48B17AA.jpeg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2020, 8:56 pm

Wow...fuk that...send it back & ask (firmly) for a refund...!!

If its a replacement & they didnt check it for having issues, it reflects the attitude they have toward the people who buy the products...kinda the thing i was alluding to in the cheap scope thread...

Id call em, pack it back up & get them to arrange collection, & buy a different brand...I know it'd be a pain, but fuk em...!!!

Thats really poor i rekon...

Sorry they did that crud to ya... :thumbsdown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 24 Jun 2020, 9:44 pm

l dont have any background knowledge of chassis systems at all Tassie but how do you think it would go if it were devconed
TBH it is still just a stock and if you can shim it you should be able to bed it to make it right
like you l would not be happy with the product especially after MDT's reasons for not having to bed the chassis, it does not live up to what it should
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l52cNoM-3rY

here is a couple of vids not really showing much but may get you thinking about a solution mate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AXMnBg4tyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaJYjpBzOo
l know how much you want this system to work :drinks:

just found this although l cant understand the guy, l think he sounds like he's had a few :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJehrM_zf40&vl=en
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 11:56 am

Thanks for replies. The box it came with has a signed card saying, your equipment supplied within, was packed and checked by .... signed Stacie - and she’s turned the ie into a smiley picture...indicating a younger age. Well Stacie - you can go jump ya little smiley face into the creek lol cause your QC should take priority over ya silly signature!

I’ll see how this new replacement chassis shoots - It “should” theoretically be ok, as a lot of the issues I’ve identified are cosmetic only but we will see.

If it doesn’t work out - then, I’ll be bedding it for sure - loctite will be name of game, as once bedded, she won’t be coming apart ever again.
Thanks for vids MM...the last one made perfect sense, perhaps you need 6 X makers marks before things line up and you can understand him ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by duddley75 » 25 Jun 2020, 12:08 pm

I was advised my new Howa with the MDT ESS chassis has arrived in my LGS. Just awaiting my PTA now. Hoping to pick up Saturday week , or the following week if the PTA in the mail is delayed.

TT you have given me a number of things I will be looking out for when I go to pick it up. That hand grip finish is so bad.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 12:15 pm

Check it out closely d75 - your paying for a “precision” unit and deserve to get one. As I said - if mine was local - I’d take it back but I’ll try and make it work.

The other thing that has upset me with mdt - was that they initially replied with - “yeah - that’s a howa for you...” but when I pointed out the barrel sat straight in a houge stock - not theirs, they scrambled for an answer...if they had have even said “well, mistakes happen, let’s fix this”...I’d be a much happier, albeit slightly disillusioned ( Lol )customer.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by duddley75 » 25 Jun 2020, 12:46 pm

TT, you may want to remind MDT what is on their website...

https://mdttac.com/ca_en/ess-chassis-system.html

No hassle returns and Satisfaction guaranteed.

Scroll down a bit as well as at the bottom of the page.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 12:59 pm

It’s the 30 day part they they referenced back to me - my original purchase was well beyond 30 days...

The video that MM linked, see their Sales guy promoting the No hassle guarantee - but it’s a difficult one, given their based in Canada.

But - on their website, there is a feedback area...might stir some trouble on there lol.
Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2020, 2:19 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It’s the 30 day part they they referenced back to me - my original purchase was well beyond 30 days...

The video that MM linked, see their Sales guy promoting the No hassle guarantee - but it’s a difficult one, given their based in Canada.

But - on their website, there is a feedback area...might stir some trouble on there lol.
Cheers.

Being honest is not stirring trouble mate...

Letting them know the quality controll at this end (given your replacement is seemingly as bad as the first) is nothing more representative of what they have at their end, isnt causing trouble.

Let them know youve posted the entire saga on large shooting based social media platform...if they are genuine about the product & their customers experience, they'll address the issues, & get more sales as a result...!!

Nike.. :lol:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 3:42 pm

Ive left feedback on their forum and emailed their sales and support department - referencing this forum. I don’t think anything will come of it but your right Stix (they can’t fix what they don’t know).
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics