Meopta Meopro eye box

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Meopta Meopro eye box

Post by Harrynsw » 30 May 2020, 8:57 am

Hi folks
Bought myself a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44. Happy with everything...except the eye box, not much difference between minimum magnification and maximum magnification, my eye has to be a very specific spot with little play to get a clear circle with no shadey areas.
Is this a Meopro trait or is my scope not right?
Thank you...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Meopta Meopro eye box

Post by bigrich » 30 May 2020, 5:40 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Hi folks
Bought myself a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44. Happy with everything...except the eye box, not much difference between minimum magnification and maximum magnification, my eye has to be a very specific spot with little play to get a clear circle with no shadey areas.
Thank you...

doesn't sound quite right. take it back to where it was bought and compare it to others , maybe exchange it if it's not correct . meopta's are normally VERY good scopes . good luck with it :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bill » 30 May 2020, 7:10 pm

Hey Harrynsw what other scopes do you own or are using, what are you comparing the 3.5-10x44 too ?

This a pretty good description of what eye box refers too

Skip to 5.40 to see how you should set your scope up Harry, see if it makes any diff :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoEjh7LXRM
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lebner » 30 May 2020, 8:11 pm

I've got the same scope and it sounds pretty similar. I had the 4-12x50 and it seemed better.
Lebner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 30 May 2020, 8:29 pm

bigrich wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:Hi folks
Thank you...

doesn't sound quite right. take it back to where it was bought and compare it to others , maybe exchange it if it's not correct . meopta's are normally VERY good scopes . good luck with it :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Thanks bigrich, just as I thought, dosnt seem right, iv packed it back in the box ready to go back to place of purchase for a visit.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 30 May 2020, 8:38 pm

Bill wrote:Hey Harrynsw what other scopes do you own or are using, what are you comparing the 3.5-10x44 too ?

This a pretty good description of what eye box refers too

Skip to 5.40 to see how you should set your scope up Harry, see if it makes any diff :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoEjh7LXRM

Hi Bill, I'm comparing it to a Zeiss Terra, and a Vortex Crossfire, and it definitely dosnt come close to either...
Thanks for the link
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 30 May 2020, 8:46 pm

Lebner wrote:I've got the same scope and it sounds pretty similar. I had the 4-12x50 and it seemed better.

Oh wow ok, this is interesting, how do you find it for quick target acquisition? I love everything about it, the glass, the way it looks, the Reticle, the illuminated red dot, but this eyebox thing is going to be a deal breaker.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 30 May 2020, 10:36 pm

Harry I have a few of the 3.5-10x44 including an illuminated one and all seem fine for me, as suggested take it back doesnt sound right. :thumbsup:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 31 May 2020, 8:27 am

Bill wrote:Harry I have a few of the 3.5-10x44 including an illuminated one and all seem fine for me, as suggested take it back doesnt sound right. :thumbsup:

Appreciate the input, thanks.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lebner » 31 May 2020, 12:23 pm

I just had another play with the meopta and I've decided mine isn't as bad as you describe. I must have leaned into it too far last time I used it,
It seems to keep a full clear picture for about 2" or so before the edges start to darken.
Lebner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bill » 31 May 2020, 1:30 pm

Yeap sounds about right Lebner, I had a play with a couple of Meopta's and a Sightron STac this morning and all seemed to have about 30-40mm. Setting up you scope correctly as described in that youtube video had me adjusting 2 of my scopes this morning :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 01 Jun 2020, 7:23 pm

And we have a conclusion...I went back to the store today, scope and receipt in hand...
First they tried to tell me it was completely normal, I just looked at the guy and said "I'm not happy with it"...so they started bringing out different scopes, but nothing similar as stocks were low due to current circumstances.

After an hour (although it has a bit to much magnification, the offer was to good to refuse) the glass was real nice, I walked away with the Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 01 Jun 2020, 7:25 pm

Holy s**t straight swap ?? if so thats a ripper deal :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jun 2020, 8:11 pm

Done well Harry ! Nice.
Amazes me how ppl sing praises of meo- without alerting the negatives...they are a decent scope for sure, but in my opinion, there are much better options out there for same money. Case in point.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Harrynsw » 01 Jun 2020, 9:12 pm

Bill wrote:Holy s**t straight swap ?? if so thats a ripper deal :thumbsup:

Yep straight swap, only thing I can put it down to is it was an ex-demo of sorts or just old stock.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 01 Jun 2020, 9:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Done well Harry ! Nice.
Amazes me how ppl sing praises of meo- without alerting the negatives...they are a decent scope for sure, but in my opinion, there are much better options out there for same money. Case in point.

Cheers thanks.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 01 Jun 2020, 9:57 pm

Everything subjective TT I remember watching the Nioa TV episode where they tested the VX3i, Meopro, Ziess Terra and Swaro Z3 and it completely turned me off Z3's. :shock:

Im happy with Meopro's, I paid $500-620 for 3 diff models, this was well before price rises 2 years ago, HD5 is a scope Ive considered many times but Im rought with rifles and scopes so I stick to stuff I can afford to break :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLX8r_BH0cA

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jun 2020, 11:03 pm

^ your basing your optics decision on an importers opinion ? Wonder how much profit NIOA makes from each brand ... I’ll take a guess ? Lol. Some interesting comments at the end of video...saying similar.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 02 Jun 2020, 7:32 am

The effect you are referring to is called vignetting.
What must be understood with any scope design is that to make a gain in one parameter means diminishing one or more other parameters.
So possibly by limiting the range of critical eye relief some other feature has been enhanced.

As for the commentators regarding one importer making unfavourable comparisons of another importer's products compared to his own, just how gullible are you?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 02 Jun 2020, 8:12 am

Bill wrote:Everything subjective TT I remember watching the Nioa TV episode where they tested the VX3i, Meopro, Ziess Terra and Swaro Z3 and it completely turned me off Z3's. :shock:

Im happy with Meopro's, I paid $500-620 for 3 diff models, this was well before price rises 2 years ago, HD5 is a scope Ive considered many times but Im rought with rifles and scopes so I stick to stuff I can afford to break :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLX8r_BH0cA

After watching the video it seems sincere. There was a time a couple of years ago the Zeiss Terra scopes went from $650 to $450 overnight (might've been after this review)...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 02 Jun 2020, 8:26 am

With little other ' Testing' going on Id say it was worth watching, I had a Zeiss Terra for about 6 months when Abela's first had em on special and the first trip to St Mary revealed everything I needed to know :lol: I sold it.

Your Conquest with the HD glass is a good bit of kit Harry :thumbsup:

Tassie the USA built Swaro's are overpriced I reckon, if they were around $600 they'd probably represent better value. Atleast with the Meopro you know your getting half decent Euro quality glass ( not HD thou like the R1, R2) with pretty good low light ability, something the NIOA boys alluded too and they dont sell Meopta's, thats their competitor Winchester :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 02 Jun 2020, 8:45 am

straightshooter wrote:The effect you are referring to is called vignetting.
What must be understood with any scope design is that to make a gain in one parameter means diminishing one or more other parameters.
So possibly by limiting the range of critical eye relief some other feature has been enhanced.

As for the commentators regarding one importer making unfavourable comparisons of another importer's products compared to his own, just how gullible are you?

I get that, was very hard to find all the features i wanted, and this Meopta ticked most boxes, so I was very disappointed when I had to take it back.
Iv been diligently sifting through scopes for months and in the end I settled for what came closest to what I wanted, glass on the conquest was a pleasure to look through for extended periods without feeling that eye strain you get in cheaper scopes.

In regards to gullibility, that video showed footage and pictures of the results. I would dare say NIOA would be facing a LARGE lawsuit if they were found to be misleading, which would be very costly, not only to their pockets, but their reputation, which in turn will also hit their pocket. Just saying...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Jun 2020, 10:02 am

Bill wrote:With little other ' Testing' going on Id say it was worth watching, I had a Zeiss Terra for about 6 months when Abela's first had em on special and the first trip to St Mary revealed everything I needed to know :lol: I sold it.

Your Conquest with the HD glass is a good bit of kit Harry :thumbsup:

Tassie the USA built Swaro's are overpriced I reckon, if they were around $600 they'd probably represent better value. Atleast with the Meopro you know your getting half decent Euro quality glass ( not HD thou like the R1, R2) with pretty good low light ability, something the NIOA boys alluded too and they dont sell Meopta's, thats their competitor Winchester :thumbsup:

Well Bill, sadly, and it pains me to say lol - I have to agree with you. Except - with US dollar, Leo’s and similar have risen 20% and now (in some cases) have surpassed swarvo, etc in price - but one does have to assume others will rise to even out the field eventually.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jun 2020, 6:34 pm

I think the beer drinking yobbo presenters from NIOA were pretty honest about their interest in the Leupold line of scopes and their observations regarding the far from scientific test. If you were able to get four scopes you were interested in and choose one based on the way things appear, you could do something similar. At the end of the day all four were perfectly serviceable scopes.

I am not sure I would rely on any YouTube type review to inform my decision but they can be interesting.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 03 Jun 2020, 8:31 am

So, I masochistically watched the video, which more correctly should be called an infomercial, and there is nothing untoward regarding what is said.
However there is something unsettling about blokes that probably hold managerial positions in the Nioa organisation clowning around like yobbos attempting to endear themselves to their target audience.
It is patently obvious the infomercial is targeting an uninformed (or advertising brainwashed) shooter and it is of more interest to me what they don't say that might potentially inform shooters rather than what they do say so as to steer them towards a particular brand.
My take on the matter is that the Swarowski must be eroding sales from Nioa's high margin mid priced line. Why else tout your $600 scope as superior to your competitor's $1000 scope and then as a backstop suggest a lesser competitor's $600 scope is just about as good as good as your $600 scope.
This is a classic retail marketing tactic.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 03 Jun 2020, 11:30 am

TassieTiger wrote:
Well Bill, sadly, and it pains me to say lol - I have to agree with you. Except - with US dollar, Leo’s and similar have risen 20% and now (in some cases) have surpassed swarvo, etc in price - but one does have to assume others will rise to even out the field eventually.

this shows the type of bloke you are Tassie, you can look at the big picture and see things truthfully :thumbsup:

yet Bill wont accept that Trump derangement syndrome is real :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 03 Jun 2020, 5:42 pm

Haha I can see the big picture with my 30mm Sightron :lol:

I reckon you better take something medicinal for the TDS you're suffering Marksman :drinks:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 03 Jun 2020, 11:24 pm

at least you had a laugh Bill :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 04 Jun 2020, 8:21 am

Where's his bible marksman .....

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 04 Jun 2020, 8:38 am

marksman wrote:at least you had a laugh Bill :drinks:

Trump is the Best.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales