ZEROTECH or LEUPOLD????

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

ZEROTECH or LEUPOLD????

Post by DTB » 02 Jun 2020, 7:58 pm

Hi all,

So after 20 yrs I have finally and successfully got my gun licence again.
I have a Weatherby MarkV 30/06 that I will FINALLY be getting it transferred back into my name and the first thing Ill be doing is replacing the old Bushnell scope that was put on as a temporary fix.... 20 yrs ago!!!..... and put on something new and more suited.

Now.....

I have $800 budget for the scope itself and have been looking at 2 scopes,

the ZEROTECH ”THRIVE” HD 2.5-15×50 PHR II

and the

Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm

Most of my shooting will be deer, pig and other ferals, I am much more of a stalker than a long distance shooter and enjoy that style of hunting. Previously, the longest shot I had taken in the field was 180 mtrs.

Can I ask peoples opinions on both scopes and their suitability for the use and rifle in question and would anyone recommend anything else?
I am after function, quality, longevity and simplicity.

Any help would be really appreciated.
DTB
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: ZEROTECH or LEUPOLD????

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jun 2020, 12:44 pm

I’ve got a sauer 30/06 with a Leupold vx3 4-14/50 on it and it is brilliant. It’s a very Light weight set up for stalking at a fraction over 3kg, quick focus and it stands up to the recoil time and time again. I’m very content taking shots at 300m with it on 14x.
This particular rifle has killed a couple of other brand name scopes (Vortex, bushnell) - but I can’t talk for ZT. Lifetime warranty on Leupolds are not just talk - Nioa are very good to deal with.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jun 2020, 7:06 pm

Please don't put a cheap Chinese scope on a Weatherby MK5 rifle.

Why did it take you 20 years to get your licence back?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 03 Jun 2020, 7:50 pm

My own preference is the Leupold. Have had a few scopes over the years and these are good value for money and reliability.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Jun 2020, 9:48 pm

Leupold scopes made in the usa,
zerotech rebranded Chinese oem scope.

You got a good rifle, put leopold on.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 09 Jun 2020, 8:40 pm

Between the Leupy and the Zerotech..............the Leupy every time.

Nothing against the OEM Chinese made scopes at all ( am partial to the Hawke brand myself) but for the question in the original post the the VX3i would be be my choice.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jun 2020, 9:29 pm

I don't think the OP is coming back to read the replies.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 10 Jun 2020, 7:18 am

SCJ429 wrote:Why did it take you 20 years to get your licence back?

Maybe he will come back, but not necessarily to answer a non-relevant question regarding his personal circumstance.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 10 Jun 2020, 8:01 am

DTB wrote:Hi all,

So after 20 yrs I have finally and successfully got my gun licence again.
I have a Weatherby MarkV 30/06 that I will FINALLY be getting it transferred back into my name and the first thing Ill be doing is replacing the old Bushnell scope that was put on as a temporary fix.... 20 yrs ago!!!..... and put on something new and more suited.

Now.....

I have $800 budget for the scope itself and have been looking at 2 scopes,

the ZEROTECH ”THRIVE” HD 2.5-15×50 PHR II

and the

Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm

Most of my shooting will be deer, pig and other ferals, I am much more of a stalker than a long distance shooter and enjoy that style of hunting. Previously, the longest shot I had taken in the field was 180 mtrs.

Can I ask peoples opinions on both scopes and their suitability for the use and rifle in question and would anyone recommend anything else?
I am after function, quality, longevity and simplicity.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Mate, I was at the lgs just in the last couple of weeks looking through a bunch of different scopes. First and foremost I will say, if you can, you need to go in there and look through the scope yourself. Iv bought online three times, and it was a failure twice.

So I got to look through 5 different brands, Meopta, Leupold, GPO, Zeiss and bosma, and a couple of models in some of the lines. I have to take my hat off to the Zerotech scopes, the ones I looked through were clear and bright, so imho, worth considering in the magnifications for your purpose. The VX3i was nice too, clear, very light, smaller objective (lower profile), also has twilight management system which makes the scope perform in low light conditions. Ozzie gun reviews has a couple vids on YouTube.

Let us know how it turns out.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juano86 » 10 Jun 2020, 8:39 am

Leupold VX3i in 3.5-10x40 would be the perfect compliment to a mark V in .30-06. excellent quality glass for the money with a lifetime warranty. i have one on my 7mm rem mag...
If you wanted faster target acquisition etc and its more for stalking, you can drop back to the 2.5-8x36 VX3 i have one of these on a .308. both are perfect for the application.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Jun 2020, 5:56 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Maybe he will come back, but not necessarily to answer a non-relevant question regarding his personal circumstance.

I wonder if it is irrelevant (non-relevant) why it was in the first sentence of the post?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 10 Jun 2020, 6:02 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

I wonder if it is irrelevant (non-relevant) why it was in the first sentence of the post?

I have no way of knowing but maybe, just maybe, he's like me and works away from the jurisdiction of Australia, and vested his firearm for safe-keeping with somebody he trusted, and finally came "home", whereupon he was able to avail himself of an nice "new" firearms licence? Just sayin'.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 11 Jun 2020, 7:51 pm

Lots of scopes can appear "nice snd bright" in daylight hours - but where the "cream rises to the top" is shooting in very low light - the light that tends to draw deer out of their beds and into a feeding mode.

I have had the opportunity to shoot quite a few deer at a time in the day when the eye couldn't make them out - a good pair of binoculars and a scope with better than normal glass would easily identify the target as deer - where other scopes and bios would fail.

This is where the better scopes come into their own - i wont say what brands and models - thats half the fun of hunting!!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 11 Jun 2020, 9:50 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Please don't put a cheap Chinese scope on a Weatherby MK5 rifle.

Why did it take you 20 years to get your licence back?

Please be sensitive, bloke may have been in jail :lol:
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jun 2020, 6:14 am

solarpak wrote:Lots of scopes can appear "nice snd bright" in daylight hours - but where the "cream rises to the top" is shooting in very low light - the light that tends to draw deer out of their beds and into a feeding mode.

I have had the opportunity to shoot quite a few deer at a time in the day when the eye couldn't make them out - a good pair of binoculars and a scope with better than normal glass would easily identify the target as deer - where other scopes and bios would fail.

This is where the better scopes come into their own - i wont say what brands and models - thats half the fun of hunting!!

C.

And that's the purpose of this post, to help the man determine what the best choice is.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jun 2020, 6:39 am

Leupold just rang asked if the mods could remove the heading...they are offended that zero tech has been mentioned in same heading as their brand...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Lebner » 12 Jun 2020, 7:05 am

I looked through my brothers new zero tech the other day/ late arvy and it wasnt horrible. Not as good as the meopta but a clear picture with an interesting reticle ( not sure what its called). It was a 2-15×50 or similar, they are BIG scopes, I would think their bulk would be a hindrance in the Bush but great out of the window.
Lebner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics