Who's tried a random cheap sight / scope from eBay?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Who's tried a random cheap sight / scope from eBay?

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Aug 2020, 2:39 pm

Just received this holographic site from eBay - $39.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tactical-Ho ... 2749.l2649

Thus far, does everything it’s meant too...it now confuses me how some could be $1000...what can they do better...?
Only issue thus far is base is 20mm and Adler is 11mm so I’ve mounted it on an old baikal until my new base turns up. Works pretty well. I’m reasonably happy with it.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2020, 2:43 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Just received this holographic site from eBay - $39.

Thus far, does everything it’s meant too...it now confuses me how some could be $1000...what can they do better...?
Only issue thus far is base is 20mm and Adler is 11mm so I’ve mounted it on an old baikal until my new base turns up. Works pretty well. I’m reasonably happy with it.

I like these for low-profile adaptors.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Aug 2020, 2:48 pm

Bugger. Missed those...damn.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Sep 2020, 8:55 am

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Just received this holographic site from eBay - $39.

I like these for low-profile adaptors.

Where did you get these BR? Mounts I have are totally useless as the red dot itself is just too high...I cannot align it anywhere near the bead. My cheek is 4 inches away from stock lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Sep 2020, 8:57 am

Never mind - found them - thanks.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by disco stu » 08 Oct 2021, 8:43 am

Was googling around various things and found this thread. How are the cheap scopes going for those who have them now we are a year or so further ahead? I think it was after reading someone raving about vision king scope, and not knowing the brand I went searching for info

I'm intrigued whether many of the cheap scopes come off the same assembly line as brand names, and the brand names are making a killing on them. I've seen that in fishing tackle repeatedly, $30 lure made in China or the same off aliexpress for $1.50.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2021, 11:36 am

rc42 wrote:I bought what claims to be a "Bushnell" 3x42 red/green dot scope for about $70, what a POS
Magnification is certainly not 3x, maybe 1.2x at best and the dot moves as your eye moves but has to be aligned with a small circle in the middle of the view anyway so it's harder to use than a standard illuminated scope and much worse than a real red dot.

I just noticed this.
Being a dot sight it doesn't have any magnification lenses in it, it's just 1-power. The "3" certainly refers to the 3-minute dot size, not magnification.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2021, 11:44 am

disco stu wrote:Was googling around various things and found this thread. How are the cheap scopes going for those who have them now we are a year or so further ahead? I think it was after reading someone raving about vision king scope, and not knowing the brand I went searching for info

I'm intrigued whether many of the cheap scopes come off the same assembly line as brand names, and the brand names are making a killing on them. I've seen that in fishing tackle repeatedly, $30 lure made in China or the same off aliexpress for $1.50.

No complaints from me. I'm testing some .22LR ammo this arvo (finally got some relatively calm weather) and thinking I might take the huge 10-40x56 out as well as the AR Optics 4.5-18x40.

Nowadays, virtually everything is made on machines, and anybody can buy the machines if they have the capital, or in China they just reverse engineer somebody else's machine and churn out the identical product. I think all manufacturers offer a cheaper line of product that comes out of the same factories.

For me, a "no question lifetime warranty" just means it's way over-priced as I'm paying extra so somebody else can buy a damaged scope for nothing and send it in to be replaced with a new one. Knock 30% off the price and let the clumsy people pay for their own repairs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 08 Oct 2021, 11:59 am

Thanks BR.

Those vision king scopes seem to get some rave reviews once I started looking around. I'm tempted to grab one of the 3-9x40 for $75ish just in order to make a comparison to other scopes (now I've got some work and money starting to flow I'm not as stressed about blowing cash). They've got some extreme ranges in magnification also, like 2-20 and similar in some scopes that are pricier. I do wonder how well that works in practice
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2021, 12:49 pm

disco stu wrote:Thanks BR.

Those vision king scopes seem to get some rave reviews once I started looking around. I'm tempted to grab one of the 3-9x40 for $75ish just in order to make a comparison to other scopes (now I've got some work and money starting to flow I'm not as stressed about blowing cash). They've got some extreme ranges in magnification also, like 2-20 and similar in some scopes that are pricier. I do wonder how well that works in practice

Yes, I noticed they have a 14-multiplied scope now that I'd like to test for clarity, that's a lot of glass for the light to penetrate.
Like their 2.5-35x56 - http://www.visionking.com.cn/en/products_show.asp?p_id=295&c_pid=1
That would bridge the gap between a very low power for close-range snap-shooting, and very high power for shooting paper, and at 880gm/404mm not too enormous for hunting.

The 4-48x65 - http://www.visionking.com.cn/en/products_show.asp?p_id=292&c_pid=1 is more useful to me though as I have a couple of 10-40's already.

The 10-40x56 is a 35mm tube, 1150gm with QD rings and 470mm in length, it is huge. The scope alone is longer than an 18" rifle barrel.
http://www.visionking.com.cn/en/products_show.asp?p_id=246&c_pid=1
But it does work just fine, though turret range is very limited - 42-minutes total elevation adjustment. My scopes are in QD rings so I can swap them around without having to re-zero.
Attachments
20200103_192550b.jpg
20200103_192550b.jpg (241.16 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 08 Oct 2021, 12:57 pm

Bloody hell!! That thing is humongous
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2021, 1:00 pm

disco stu wrote:Bloody hell!! That thing is humongous

That would be an apt description :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 08 Oct 2021, 2:38 pm

Did you ever try that 3-9x40 you mentioned early on in this thread?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2021, 3:01 pm

disco stu wrote:Did you ever try that 3-9x40 you mentioned early on in this thread?

Unfortunately, no, it went missing during covid and they gave me a refund. I'll have to order another.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 09 Oct 2021, 7:23 pm

I think something has gone snap in my brain after 15 weeks or whatever it is of lockdown now (some freedom on coming Monday, but have to stay greater Sydney).
Anyway, I've found myself now looking at heaps of reviews of cheap crappy scopes for some reason. I saw review of vector optics, which seem to be a Chinese brand with only one seller in Australia from what I can see. Heap on aliexpress though.

I did see their power throw lever though. Machined aluminium and $8 with free shipping. I thought BR might be interested in that. Going to see if it will fit on my scope and order one of so. Can't link it as I saw it through the app.

Was shocked at the price for vortex version-$150. I've always been shocked at the price of things like scope mounts, rings, rails etc. Seem way overpriced for what they are generally, not much to them
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 09 Oct 2021, 7:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:I just noticed this.
Being a dot sight it doesn't have any magnification lenses in it, it's just 1-power. The "3" certainly refers to the 3-minute dot size, not magnification.

Nope, this is the same one but mine came from an ebay seller that's long gone.
It's more of a POS than you'd believe possible, even considering the poor translation and spelling.

It really does claim 3x magnification and the dot size is around 8 moa I'd guess but you have to manually align it into the center of the view or it just moves as your eye moves

https://www.ahtactical.com.au/products/ ... -dot-scope

"Features:

This scope can fit 10mm-12mm rail and 19mm-22mm (change the direction of the bottom Adapter).
This scope doesn't have adjustable parallas,it has fixed 3 time magnification, so the eyeable area is not so big