NIKKO STIRLING METOR 2.5-10X50 ILL RETCLE 4 30MM TUB

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

NIKKO STIRLING METOR 2.5-10X50 ILL RETCLE 4 30MM TUB

Post by WookyMysta » 25 Jun 2020, 1:00 pm

G'day to Al,

Buying a 22lr and wondering if the NIKKO STIRLING METOR 2.5-10X50 ILLUMINATED RETCLE 4 30MM TUBE is too much scope for a 22??

Thanks.
WookyMysta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NIKKO STIRLING METOR 2.5-10X50 ILL RETCLE 4 30MM TUB

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2020, 1:06 pm

Looks fine to me, although I prefer more than 10-power for seeing holes in paper.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2020, 3:20 pm

Depends what youre doing with it...
Plenty of people here will tell you that you dont need anything more than a 4X or 3X-9X for a 22...but if you go by that philosophy in its entirety, you dont glass of any kind...

That'd be fine for busting bunnies...i have a 3-9 on my 22 for just that...but i find 9 or even 12 power a little inadequate for shooting any kind of targets at decent range (beyond say 100), & also not enough to see proper detail in paper as Blade says...

I recently tested some ammo in my 22 out to 150 yds, all to get a reference as to points of impact on a bullet drop reticle on 3-9, & found even the 9 power a PITA as i couldnt see the holes in target much beyond maybe 50-60yds...

I prefer more power for longer range targets, but the choice youve presented will be great for bunny's & general range plinking or shooting reactive targets i rekon... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by rc42 » 26 Jun 2020, 10:28 am

It will depend on what you want to use the rifle for, target shooting benefits from higher magnification as you get a better view of the target and can see your hold stability much better. For hunting the high magnification has too little field of view so it's difficult to find your target, for general plinking something in-between is ideal.

A 2.5-10 zoom is a great choice for 22LR, Nikko Stirling are usually very good budget to mid price scopes too, if benchrest target shooting is your thing then a 4-16 may be a better choice.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics