new toy: Aldi laser range finder

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

new toy: Aldi laser range finder

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jul 2020, 9:24 am

Picked one up this morning, and having fun ranging things in my neighbourhood. Easy to use and cycle through modes.
Surprised how accurate my guesses were between zero and 100m, and how inaccurate much beyond that.... "that'll be about 300... nope only 221".

They've got game cameras, and 10x50 binos too.
Member-Deleted

Re: new toy: Aldi laser range finder

Post by bcr83 » 06 Jul 2020, 6:05 am

Picked up the aldi rangefinder yesterday too, seems reasonable. Haven't had a chance to try it out properly yet against some correct distances eg at the range. the glass is very clear though clearer than I thought it would be for the price
bcr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jul 2020, 12:40 pm

Remember lads golf shops sell these too. Can’t remember what I paid for mine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jul 2020, 1:41 pm

As a semi decent golfer from another life (hc 5) - I’m okay at estimating to 300 odd metres (my longest drives), but after that I fall apart...and I often over estimate vs range finder.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2020, 9:32 pm

a mate of mine bought a aldi range finder the last time they had them and they compare very well to more expensive brands . they make reliable head shots on grey grasshoppers very easy :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Norton » 07 Jul 2020, 4:14 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Surprised how accurate my guesses were between zero and 100m, and how inaccurate much beyond that.... "that'll be about 300... nope only 221".

Maybe you're guesses are spot on and the range finger is terrible? :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Jul 2020, 8:52 pm

l'm glad to hear the aldi rangefinders seem to be a good thing
obviously the more expensive ones would have better glass ect but it puts a cheaper one out there for those who dont want to break the bank
l have an old condor golf range finder that tracks, eg.. it will range out to distance and back again, it cost me around the $140 back then
its been a very useful tool, it also has a pin finder function for ranging little flags on holes, l dont golf so dont know what they are called
how far does the aldi finder range to?
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Jul 2020, 9:15 pm

MM, it says range is up to 1000m. That is and will probably remain unproven for me... at the range the distances to target are known, so I just want it for judging field shots out to @ a 400m max.
Member-Deleted

Post by Mikey91 » 07 Jul 2020, 9:30 pm

Would be curious about the cheaper ones on kogan if anyone's had a crack with them, ones listed at 150 currently
Tikka t3x lite 223
Ruger m77 mk1 308
Browning x bolt 30-06
Adler 12g
Mikey91
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 07 Jul 2020, 9:37 pm

l'm pretty sure the kogan finders are the same as the condor one l have

BBSS thats pretty good @ 1000m, my condor says the same, l have tested it on a cow out to 900y but like you l recon that's good but l dont really need it
its good to see there are good affordable ones out there :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jul 2020, 1:18 pm

Tested it this morning at the range and was bang on at all ranges from 50 to 300 yards (+/- 1 or 2 yards, which might be the range itself). 300 to 400 is probably the maximum I'd take a hunting shot at so I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's dead simple to use, starts up instantly with the press of the power button and shuts itself down to save battery life after 10 seconds or so if it's idle. And can use it as a 6x monoscope without turning it on. At $149, I should have got one years ago.
Member-Deleted

Return to Scopes, sights and optics