Anyone ever heard of a 2 x 20 Tasco?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Anyone ever heard of a 2 x 20 Tasco?

Post by mickb » 20 Jul 2020, 9:07 pm

Saw a listing for a used " Tasco 2x20 " for sale, with made in Japan on it. Must be an older scope? anyone remember the vintage of these aka when were tascos still Japanese made?

Only references online I found relate to tasco 2x20 bieng long eye relief pistol scopes.. the fella said it was scout mounted on a lever gun, so it makes sense.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Anyone ever heard of a 2 x 20 Tasco?

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Jul 2020, 10:33 pm

Are they the older - 3 ft units with 6 inches of eye relief ? If so, I think I’ve seen them mounted on period rifles...but could be wrong.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 21 Jul 2020, 7:11 pm

No this one is pretty modern, 8-9" body I'd say. Modern as in possibly 70's or 80's vintage. I posted similar on some American forums and apparently they were well regarded, but there isnt much information on the.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 21 Jul 2020, 8:37 pm

I have a couple of late 80's vintage Japanese made Tasco's. Pretty good stuff, mine has had a lot of hard use and still works perfectly. I would say it stacks up well against most mid priced stuff even now.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 21 Jul 2020, 9:06 pm

Yes - have seen them - the Japanese Tasco's are excellent buys even these days - and the premium World Class Plus, Euro and Titan's still command serious $$ .
Optically very good for the coin - but having said that modern technology has probably eclipsed what was made back in the 70's to the 90's by Tasco (or the manufacturer in Japan that was making them - probably LOW or Shirstone)

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by mickb » 22 Jul 2020, 1:13 pm

Thanks fellas I might pick it up then. I dont care too much about the image quality, more the old school quality, small size and eye relief.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 25 Jul 2020, 8:05 pm

mickb wrote:Thanks fellas I might pick it up then. I dont care too much about the image quality, more the old school quality, small size and eye relief.

You may be surprised. I put one of mine side by side with a mid priced Leupold and reckon the Leupold was no better. As solarpak says, things have progressed, but they stack up well against quality optics from the era, and no-one complains about old Leupolds.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 26 Jul 2020, 10:05 pm

Any thoughts on how long the seals etc last with scopes? I was just thinking a scope pushing 30 years has some pretty old perishables in it somewhere. Or is this not usually considered worth worrying about? Im still keen to grab it, even if it only lasted a few years its a good deal.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 27 Jul 2020, 7:46 pm

I bought one in about 1988, it has never been serviced, and has never had a fault. It is a Tasco World Class 2-7 x 32 Wide Angle Compact. It will compare favourably against many new scopes I think. My Meopta Meostar and Swaro Z6 are clearly better, but for the price they should be too. Mid priced scopes may find the World Class Tasco's giving them a good run I reckon. They also had a lifetime warranty. I remember the ads from the day, showing a 4wd running over it, and claiming it would be covered.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 27 Jul 2020, 11:14 pm

thanks mate, if it ever fails I may hold them to the warranty too!
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm

mickb wrote:thanks mate, if it ever fails I may hold them to the warranty too!

Not sure it was transferable between owners like Leupold do, but you never know!

My 2-7x32 scope has been handed over to my cousin to use, so I no longer have it, but I have another one in 2-8 of similar age still working fine, and my fathers 3-9 is still the same too. Never had a problem with any of them, and you need to spend about $1000 to get anything noticeably better in my experience.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics