Choosing between Vortex or Leupold scope for 300WM

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Choosing between Vortex or Leupold scope for 300WM

Post by Bdassnar » 11 Aug 2020, 5:52 am

Sorry if this question has been asked before but thought I would bring it up since I'm new here. I just bought a new rifle ( tikka t3 in 300wm) and now thinking of what scope to mount on it. I will be buying aftermarket rings. But the real question is how to choose the right scope magnification. I'm thinking of possibly a vortex or Leo others are always a option. Not super worried on prices right now since I'm wanting to have a good quality scope. What do you all think?

Thanks for all the help
Bdassnar
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: Choosing between Vortex or Leupold scope for 300WM

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 11 Aug 2020, 11:57 am

What do you plan on doing with the 300?

I have a ruger m77 mk2 300wm. Good light hunting rifle. I've got a Leopold vx2 4-12x40 on it and it is great
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Aug 2020, 7:50 pm

Both have great warranties too and transferable.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by boingk » 11 Aug 2020, 9:08 pm

Hi mate, the Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 is my go-to scope. Versatile for hunting and basic range use as well. Good quality gear with a lfietime warranty, and not too dear either.

If you're using it for a comp look at a higher magnification if the class allows, the VX3 series are really nice items.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 11 Aug 2020, 10:18 pm

Bdassnar wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked before but thought I would bring it up since I'm new here. I just bought a new rifle ( tikka t3 in 300wm) and now thinking of what scope to mount on it. I will be buying aftermarket rings. But the real question is how to choose the right scope magnification. I'm thinking of possibly a vortex or Leo others are always a option. Not super worried on prices right now since I'm wanting to have a good quality scope. What do you all think?

Thanks for all the help

Regarding Leupold;
I've never owned one
However
I've heard amazing things about them
I've always heard great feedback about Leupold

Regarding Vortex;
I own one
And I love mine
I find the glass to be really clear
And I've achieved great results with my vortex
I truly appreciate my vortex
(Mines a Crossfire II I think)

Regarding magnification;
Depends what your purpose is
For Target Shooting;
(The Higher Mag the Better)
For Hunting;
(I think a 4x to 9x would do)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 12 Aug 2020, 12:17 am

Got a 300 - would only use Leupold or better on it
I started with Leupold which was awesome, but recently upgraded to Nightforce as I picked up for a steal.
Your looking at a rig that has huge recoil and associated forces - why cheap out on a scope.
Rule of thumb I was given as a youngun - spend twice as much on scope as you do on gun....
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 12 Aug 2020, 1:19 am

both are very good scopes 3 to 9 or 4 to12 will cover just about any typ of shooting and if you think most your shots will be under 100 yard you could go with a 1 to 4 .
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Aug 2020, 8:34 am

Be careful which vortex you are considering - I put a 4-14 diamond on my 06 and on full magnification - the recoil would continually “scope” my eye...it now wears a Leo and my 300 has NF.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 12 Aug 2020, 9:21 am

Tassie is right about looking at eye relief, l would go for the leupold myself
also stay away from zeiss and swarovski because of eye relief
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Aug 2020, 4:19 pm

most of my rifles wear leupolds , mostly vx3;s . i sold a few guns so i could afford to put decent scopes on the few i've got left . i bought a meopta after checking out a mates meostar .i ended up getting a meopro , and it's a good scope in it's own right . but when load testing my 222 and 223 at the range i was switching between the 4-12 meopta and a 4.5-14 vx3 leo and the clarity of the leo is noticibly better . glad i got mine sorted before the recent price jump.

IMHO i would get a vx3 3.5-10x40 for your win mag :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Vicko » 12 Aug 2020, 6:05 pm

Every manufacturer has various levels of product - you need to be specific about what you're considering. A low end Vortex is not a patch on a high end Vortex.. Likewise for all brands - they will produce a lower level product and higher spec, higher dollar stuff.
I just went through this for my 30-06 stalking rifle. Opted for the 42mm variant of the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15. Very happy with it.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Aug 2020, 6:53 pm

How do manufacturers advertise eye relief - is it only on the smallest magnification?
So on 3 x eye relief is noted as 95mm but this will be far less on 18x - why don’t they advertise thst as well ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Skinna » 12 Aug 2020, 10:52 pm

I have seen some scopes with listed measurements for eye relief at both ends of the zoom spectrum.
Cant remember which ones though.
I didnt think the eye relief changed too much from min to max magnification. I change magification on scoped all the time while about to shoot & dont recall me having to move my head closer when i crank up the mag on any scope i have, so maybe the shift isnt that much anyway.?
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Larry » 15 Aug 2020, 5:04 pm

I dont think the actual eye relief changes that much but it become a lot more critical that you have you eye in the correct position at higher magnifications.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2020, 7:01 pm

eye relief does change a little , you have to crawl up the stock a bit more on high magnification . on leupolds site get onto specifications/dimensions drop downs and it'll tell you all you want to know

example, the vx3i 1.5-5x20 has eye relief at 4.40" at minimum , and 3.7" at maximum magnification . which is why it resides on my 358 win model 70 :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Aug 2020, 9:00 pm

Larry wrote:I dont think the actual eye relief changes that much but it become a lot more critical that you have you eye in the correct position at higher magnifications.

It does a fair bit on my z5 Swarovski - At max magnification on my 260, it just kisses me every now and again. In fact, I’ve only been using 20x to make sure it doesn’t - although it only brushes me, it’s enough to make me flinch - I’m going to have to remount eventually if I wish to use 25x
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by caps » 16 Aug 2020, 9:43 am

On my 300 W Mag I have got a Leopuld VX111 3.5_10x40 and cant fault it. Shot out to distances of 500yds more than happy with this set up.
caps

Post by Ziege » 16 Aug 2020, 5:17 pm

if you anticipate warranty get the leupold.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by MJW380 » 23 Sep 2020, 10:06 pm

I bought a Vortex diamondback 3-9x40 and put it on my CZ 452, eye relief was not much on 3 power and at 9 my eye was just about on the bell end, so much so that people at the range mentioned that I was ‘leaning’ over the rifle too much, that is till they had a look thru the scope. I moved it on and got a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-1, can’t go wrong. By the way, I got a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 for my .243 and can honestly say the glass is very similar, at least to my eye.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 29 Sep 2020, 7:04 pm

Hi Bdassnar
I have a couple 300wm.
I have different scopes on the different rifles depending on what I intend on doing with that rifle.
I can recommend Leupold, I have never owned or used Vortex.
The reason I say this is my personal experience with Leupold. I damaged a Leupold scope, and sent it to Nioa in QLD to get fixed. As they are in QLD and not overseas, it was all fixed and returned in no time at all. I have heard that some scope that get sent overseas to get fixed have a long turnaround time.
The Leupold scopes are nice and clear, relatively rugged and have practical magnifications. They also have a CDS dial system which I had on a 223 once. Interesting gadget.
Can I ask what you will be using your 300wm for, and what distance you intend to shoot.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 29 Sep 2020, 7:49 pm

Mate if price not an issue go the Leupold or better.
In saying that I have a Meopta on mine and it is a good bit of glass given the price.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics