Binoculars

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Binoculars

Post by Patriot » 31 Aug 2020, 8:09 pm

G’day men

I’m looking to purchase a pair of binoculars. I have never owned a pair and am looking for advice on what to get. I’m not looking to spend to much probably up to $500, preferably something decent at around $250. Just general use at the range and in the field. Any advice would much appreciated.

Cheers
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Binoculars

Post by mchughcb » 31 Aug 2020, 8:25 pm

I have a pair of Geovids, but generally when hunting I used a Zenray Monocular. 8x42. I find its great. And its less than 50% of the geovids.Unfortunately its not made any more but something like the vortex will be just as good. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vortex-Solo ... SwiuFeqPeL
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 31 Aug 2020, 8:29 pm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Barska-Leve ... ctupt=true

Even the barska will be fine. For quick ID and something you can put in your pocket they are great.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Aug 2020, 8:47 pm

I like 10 by forty Size for walking. Leopold are avail at 390 or 490 depending On the model u choose. At Qld gun shop ...my vortex give a nice clear image
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 01 Sep 2020, 5:40 am

Biggest tip I can give is look through as many different ones as you can,if you're in sweet with the LGS then see if you can take them home for a day and look through them. I did this and ended up with Gerber Montana 8x32s 15 years ago and they were heaps better for MY eyes than anything else I looked at,even some that were twice as expensive and had a good name in the optics world. I also bought some 7x21s in the same brand which are great,as far as pocket binoculars go....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 01 Sep 2020, 7:30 am

Patriot wrote:G’day men

I’m looking to purchase a pair of binoculars. I have never owned a pair and am looking for advice on what to get. I’m not looking to spend to much probably up to $500, preferably something decent at around $250. Just general use at the range and in the field. Any advice would much appreciated.

Cheers

Do a bit of research and educate yourself as to what to look for.
Avoid buying from a gunshops as when you understand their business model you will realize why. Also resist being swayed by advice from opinionated internet people such as myself without having done your own research.
If you can't be bothered then stick to well known optical brands such as Nikon or Pentax who have extensive ranges of binoculars at all price points.
A pair of 8x40 binoculars will be an excellent choice with a good balance between optical performance and weight.
You should be able to find a good version in the range $150 to $250 for a porro prism binocular (dog leg barrel). If you prefer a roof prism binocular then you will need to spend closer to $500 to get equal optical performance but slightly lighter weight.
My most used binoculars are 8x40 Nikon waterproof and an older military style lightweight 6x30.
Optical resolution, that is, the ability to resolve fine detail and colour contrast is far more important than power.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Sep 2020, 7:56 am

Your budget is suited to Chinese made optics like Celestron and Visionking

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Celestron-N ... Swo~Belnr9
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 01 Sep 2020, 8:50 am

One thing I forgot to mention which is also an important consideration is weight. Beware of carrying a boat anchor around your neck. Heavy binoculars are fine for occasional use but carrying them around for any length of time diminishes their attractiveness and leads to thoughts of "what was I thinking?".
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 01 Sep 2020, 11:24 am

Thanks gents.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 02 Sep 2020, 8:47 pm

Patriot,
purchase your binos with your specific task in mind. I for years have used a Bushnell Elite 10x42 and they have never faulted me. Optically excellent (and now no longer made in the model i have) their only minus was their weight. For stalking they would be a tad too heavy even with a bino harness. These have now been relegated for use hunting in a ground blind or for vehicle use.
I also bought a 10x25 in the Hawke Vantage - just as a general purpose unit that i keep in the car as a back up - very very light but nice and compact.
Recently i plumped for a pair of Hawke Endurance ED 8x32's and cannot praise them enough - optically excellent and very light in weight (540g)- perfect for stalking .

I agree with the other posters - go for a well known brand and try to test a few to see what you like before you buy.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Sep 2020, 7:51 pm

Whatever you do, never, ever, no matter what anyone says, make the mistake of looking through Swarovskis. You will regret it to your dying day. I made that mistake. It’s terrible. I have to somehow come up with $3k or so to get a pair. So just never do it.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by solarpak » 04 Sep 2020, 6:57 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:Whatever you do, never, ever, no matter what anyone says, make the mistake of looking through Swarovskis. You will regret it to your dying day. I made that mistake. It’s terrible. I have to somehow come up with $3k or so to get a pair. So just never do it.

+1 with Bruiser .......if you want too see cobwebs blowing in the wind buy Swaro ..............Superb glass as is Zeiss and Leica......

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Sep 2020, 5:19 pm

I would not buy binoculars. A monocular is half the weight.

8x40
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Woden » 25 Nov 2020, 8:20 am

Oldbloke wrote:I would not buy binoculars. A monocular is half the weight.

8x40

Aussie website sells slightly cheaper than they do on eBay (quality and warranty):

https://australiantacticalprecision.com ... pe=product
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 25 Nov 2020, 10:32 am

I clicked on that link they got a vortex 10 by 25 mono 140 bucks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Nov 2020, 10:35 am

And I decided to start looking at their other stuff too , so if my wallet gets thinner, daz, I’m blaming you
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Woden » 25 Nov 2020, 3:25 pm

Blr243 wrote:And I decided to start looking at their other stuff too , so if my wallet gets thinner, daz, I’m blaming you

Sorry bro but think of it as helping the Australian economy!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 25 Nov 2020, 3:26 pm

Blr243 wrote:I clicked on that link they got a vortex 10 by 25 mono 140 bucks

Yeah but unfortunately it's Out of Stock!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 25 Nov 2020, 3:32 pm

Here's something I found that may be of interest to newbies like me:

https://www.wikihow.com/Select-a-Monocular
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Nov 2020, 4:50 pm

8x40

I decided to forego the bins once for that exact reason as I had the 8-power rangefinder anyway. I carry the rangefinder on my belt most of the time anyway for seeing things around the farm without having to walk everywhere, so I figured it would be fine. I _really_ missed the extra definition of binocular vision trying to pick out details of animals laying in the shade under trees.
Bino's will go out with me every time, I'll have a wee before I go out to offset the added weight ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Nov 2020, 7:42 pm

Mate just bought Swarovski el 10 x 42 - shop cut him a deal at $1900....bloody amazing clarity...amazing.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 26 Nov 2020, 6:05 am

8x40

Which is quite sensible if you only have one eye and only ever use open sights.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 26 Nov 2020, 1:10 pm

From the last few comments it sounds like the sensible thing to do is show up at your local gun shop and try out the difference to see which suits: monocular or binoculars.

Any other places sell optics? Some camera stores used to sell optics too I believe.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2020, 2:39 pm

Woden wrote:From the last few comments it sounds like the sensible thing to do is show up at your local gun shop and try out the difference to see which suits: monocular or binoculars.

Any other places sell optics? Some camera stores used to sell optics too I believe.

My brother only has one eye, and my girlfriend doesn't have binocular vision as her eyes focus at vastly different distances (by a factor of seven), so binos are wasted on them. I carry a monocular daily because it's so much more compact than bins, but I am aware of the loss of definition. I can generally see (around the farm) that there's something there that shouldn't be, or vice versa, but for detail I still have to walk up and inspect. When I'm smart enough to take my binos with me I can much better determine what it is that I'm looking at. That definition is far more important when hunting, for me. My binos live in an Allen's case that hangs over my left breast, so I can bring them up to my eyes very quickly, and return them just as quickly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 26 Nov 2020, 3:13 pm

I hate binos too, I use a monocular.... will be investing in a leupold top wozza thermal one soon.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics