Binos vs spotting scope vs camera. Spotting sambar

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Binos vs spotting scope vs camera. Spotting sambar

Post by Wodez » 03 Sep 2020, 9:20 pm

I’m after some first hand experience with comparing some 15 power high end binoculars, spotting scope or a camera like a p900 to spot sambar while backpack hunting.
I currently have a pair of Leica trinovids 8x42 that I use for my day to day stalking.
I am thinking a pair of 15s would be enough on a tripod. But while reading online I have considered a spotting scope and also noticed these cameras that seem to be as good as a decent spotter. Would be handy to take some pics to share, cheaper and possibly lighter than a spotter but batteries don’t last forever. Anyone use a p900. Any other pros/cons.

For those that glass a lot with a mate/group with different equipment what would you say spots the most deer?
Are spotting scopes more for 1km+?
Cheers
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Binos vs spotting scope vs camera. Spotting sambar

Post by JohnV » 04 Jan 2021, 11:31 am

Binos like you have are good for stalking in the bush and spotting scopes are ok to identify something once you see it from a static position . I guess a digital camera with a big lenses and a good digital zoom could be used to identify and grade say a deer rack . High power spotting scopes have less field of view than wide angle binos .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by straightshooter » 06 Jan 2021, 7:25 am

I suspect you will enjoy little gain over your Leica binoculars with what you are proposing other than more stuff to carry around.
Your Leicas are in the upper strata of high end binoculars and will have excellent resolution, contrast and colour fidelity.
The real test is being able to reliably answer questions along the lines, is that a pig bedded down in the shadow of that tree 500 meters away or a rock?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2021, 10:40 am

I have a sporting scope and would never entertain the idea of taking it hunting. Even wound down to 25-power it needs to be setup on a tripod for stability. And it doesn't have binocular vision which is critical for me when glassing for animals. I'll take 10-power binos every time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics