HELP, Howa 1500 Bases

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

HELP, Howa 1500 Bases

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Sep 2020, 2:15 pm

Can anyone help me out with a set of standard two piece bases for a Howa 1500 ?

I replaced a set of mine 6 months ago with a Back Country rail,,,,, and was sure I kept the originals in a zip lock bag.
Now I've bought another Howa and was gonna use them on it,,,,,,,,,, but cannot for the life of me find them.

Cos the receiver is split to two different levels on these rifles you can't use a standard rail. It's frustrating cos I've got plenty standard rails.

If anyone's got a set laying around and willing to either donate or sell cheaply,,,,,,, please PM me.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: HELP, Howa 1500 Bases

Post by Blr243 » 22 Sep 2020, 3:02 pm

I can’t help you but u might be able to help me. Years ago I borrowed a Graziers Howa 222 to shoot a stack of reds at Cunnamulla .....I remember top loading all night I’m waiting on a pta so I can collect my Howa 22250 ....normally my thermal clips onto a full length pic rail. So knowing howa rifles better than me , is a full pic rail goin to interfere with top loading , and if so Do u suggest two separate bases to facilitate top loading. I have not owned a howa before ......... If u have no luck finding a set let me know
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Sep 2020, 5:33 pm

On a standard set, the front one is curved much sharper than the back one, and there is also a height/thickness difference.
So if you were to mount a standard rail, it would be at an angle not in line with the bore.
The Back Country Leupold rails are machined so as to counteract this effect.

Because I have big thumbs it is difficult to top load with the Leupold rail as it is a narrow opening.
But the latest Howa has a detachable mag kit which solves that part of the problem.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 22 Sep 2020, 9:29 pm

Dude,
I have a set of Rem 700 bases (Lynx steel 2 piece bases) together with Lynx low rings (1-inch) - if they will suit your needs.

(rings will be good for a scope with objective up to 40mm)

The Lynx bases are tailored specifically to the lynx rings - ie you can use other rings.

Let me know if you interested.
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Sep 2020, 9:50 pm

solarpak wrote:Dude,
I have a set of Rem 700 bases (Lynx steel 2 piece bases) together with Lynx low rings (1-inch) - if they will suit your needs.

(rings will be good for a scope with objective up to 40mm)

The Lynx bases are tailored specifically to the lynx rings - ie you can use other rings.

Let me know if you interested.
C.

Thanks Mate, but I would be looking for High 30mm rings if I needed rings (which I don't) , and not being sure of Rem 700 stuff, I don't
know if they would fit a Howa 1500

Praps someone here could expand on that. :unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 22 Sep 2020, 10:16 pm

remington 700 bases (2 piece ) WILL fit the HOWA

Try nikko stirling steel lok 2-piece bases ......I paid $38 from the Rifle SA shop here down south ....

These bases will accept any weaver-style rings.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 23 Sep 2020, 7:16 am

Thanks dj. Hopefully when I collect the rifle associated mounting options and/or removable mag kit will b available in store so I can sort it on the day
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Sep 2020, 6:18 pm

Yeah thanks Solarpak,,,, you are spot on about the Remy bases.
Today I found out I have to go to town tomorrow,,,, so I rang the local GS and arranged a set of the steel Nikko bases (that were in stock)

So that will sort out all my needs, and cheaper than I had envisaged.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Sep 2020, 6:24 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks dj. Hopefully when I collect the rifle associated mounting options and/or removable mag kit will b available in store so I can sort it on the day

The latest Howa came with a brand new detachable mag kit fitted,, plus,, the original as new floor plate arrangement.
Because I do 90% of my shooting over the "bench" set up in my ute,,,, I'll no doubt find out if the detachable mag sticking out underneath annoys
the f@ck out of me or not.
If so, I'll just put the floor plate unit back in it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Sep 2020, 7:07 pm

The pic of the rifle I’m buying seems to indicate floor plate but we shall see I spose when I go to pic it up ....my sauer 243 has a removable mag that Fits flush with the stock only holds 5 and it has never been lacking. My hunting is not exciting enough to need bigger mags ..... hopefully I finish work early tomorrow and my pta will arrive so I can do the drive
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Sep 2020, 7:16 pm

Blr243 wrote: ..... hopefully I finish work early tomorrow and my pta will arrive so I can do the drive

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't ya just love the email you get saying that your application has been approved,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,, please wait another week for "quality assurance" checks to be carried out.
:crazy:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Sep 2020, 8:03 pm

Waiting for a pta is painfull , but imagine that your job is at weapons licencing, and you process ptas every day non stop and that all you do.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm

When I collected my new howa today I got a two piece base set made by leapold for 20 bucks. I did not know Leopold made anything for only 20 bucks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics