Scope choice for CZ 515

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope choice for CZ 515

Post by Mattraff » 23 Sep 2020, 1:42 am

I'm in the process of finding a scope to put on my new CZ 515 and have narrowed it down to 3. I like high magnification and have also decided on a 30mm tube. First up is a Leupold VX Freedom in 6-18×40 next is a Meopta optika 6 in 2.5-15×44 and last a Zerotech Thrive hd in 2.5-15x50. All 3 are within 60 dollars of each other and are imported / distributed by 3 of Australia's largest importers. I can buy the Zerotech in store but the other 2 I will have to buy online from QLD as they are about 200 cheaper than in Victoria. There is not many reviews on these scopes although I own a Meopro and 2 Leupolds and am happy with them both.
I didn't consider the Vortex diamondback tactical as the reticle is way to complicated looking.
Has anyone had experience with a Meopta Optika or the VX Freedom? Or can recommend another alternative. I want to keep the cost bellow $900.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Scope choice for CZ 515

Post by Bill » 23 Sep 2020, 9:49 am

OK so Im guessing your getting the 22 WMR ??, good choice but whats the idea behind the 30mm tube ? most 30mm tubes add around 200gr in weight which can make you rifle a bit top heavy.

If you were willing to step down to a inch scope Id recommend a Meopta 4-12x50 or the 6-18 or even throw on a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 (great HD glass and even thou discontinued there are a few still around) and is superior to the scope you have mentioned. The Optika 6 range is the same glass as the Meopro range just different 6X magnification, 30mm tube etc but extra weight.

https://www.holtsgunshop.com.au/product ... pe/photo/1
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 23 Sep 2020, 10:28 am

Having such a high magnification scope in 30mm tube is more a hindrance than a help on a rim fire. Too heavy, too bulky with the ability to have large drop adjustments the only advantage of a 30mm tube c.f. a 25mm.

Don't get caught up with all the hype about scopes like that.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Mattraff » 23 Sep 2020, 2:30 pm

Rifle is in 22LR and weight is not an issue as I happily lug around my Lithgow LA101 fitted with a Bushnell Elite LRS in 5-15x40. I want a quality scope with high magnification and it must have adjustable paralax. There are not many 1" scopes that have what I want. Yes I can buy from Vortex or many other Chinese made scopes but I want quality. I own Meopta and Leupold scopes that have been great with no issues at all. There is heaps to choose from out there but it's hard to find what I want in 1" as they are either in the 3-500 range or way over 1k. Like all, fashions and fads it just seems like 30mm is what they are concentrating on at the moment.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Sep 2020, 6:07 pm

Mate I run a vx freedom on my .22 however it is only the 3-9x40. I rate it highly mate. I also have a few Meopta Meopro scopes on various centrefire rifles and love them too. I don’t think you’d go wrong with either however it does seem like a lot of scope for that rifle. Not being critical mate, each to their own.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by eddievic » 23 Sep 2020, 7:18 pm

I always take zerotech to be Chinese made scopes that are imported by Tasco just rebranded for them
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 24 Sep 2020, 3:31 pm

I currently use Meopta scopes and S&B scopes. I know I am biased towards the Meopta as I use them the most.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 24 Sep 2020, 7:31 pm

Think your over-scoping your 515 with the options your looking at.
No need for a 30mm tube and a quality variable from 2x up to 10x is all you need - or better still a fixed 6x or 8x will suffice.

So all chinese scopes are not quality ...........look around at some optics being made in China and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I am a fan of the Hawke marque and their Endurance and Frontier ranges are excellent for the money - and the Frontiers are over the $1000 mark.

Euro glass is the standard - but the gap is closing all the time.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mattraff » 25 Sep 2020, 3:16 am

Made a decision today and cheaped out.with the choices I mentioned I would have gone the Meopta as I liked the look of it and it was Czech made like the rifle. I ended up going for a 1" scope and in that size there is probably 50 to choose from with most being made in China and where I have a choice I prefer not to buy Chinese. I rang the shop I bought the rifle from and asked them to put aside a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18×40 for me. They didn't have one in stock but he told me they have a Zerotech Vengance that is the same scope but a different name on it but better turrets as they lock. I don't like being lied to so didn't buy the scope through them. Zerotech are made in China the Bushnell AR Optics are made in Korea so they are not the same at all. The rings I chose are MDT Premier made in Canada.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 26 Sep 2020, 3:26 pm

Mattraff,

you own a mobile phone? Have a look to see where that is made??

I know in the current economic climate its easy to be anti this or anti that -----but the choice is yours. Get a scope made in Japan, the Phillipines, the USA or Europe.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 26 Sep 2020, 3:46 pm

Meopta is good choice. The reason I like them is because they have been making exceptional lenses for the darkroom for many years and I have used these optics with good success. Also, in Sydney a company called Francis Lord Optics (since gone) brought in some Meopta scopes a long time ago and I bought one and it was excellent.
Great optics and a strong build. If I had a choice of one of these or a scope made in China, the Phillipines. the choice would be the Meopta.
As said before the choice is yours.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Sep 2020, 3:56 pm

Mattraff wrote:Made a decision today and cheaped out.with the choices I mentioned I would have gone the Meopta as I liked the look of it and it was Czech made like the rifle. I ended up going for a 1" scope and in that size there is probably 50 to choose from with most being made in China and where I have a choice I prefer not to buy Chinese. I rang the shop I bought the rifle from and asked them to put aside a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18×40 for me. They didn't have one in stock but he told me they have a Zerotech Vengance that is the same scope but a different name on it but better turrets as they lock. I don't like being lied to so didn't buy the scope through them. Zerotech are made in China the Bushnell AR Optics are made in Korea so they are not the same at all. The rings I chose are MDT Premier made in Canada.

SolarP is right. It might be assembled in Korea but many of the parts have probably come from China regardless.
I had various issues with a MDT chassis a while back and when I quizzed the Canadian home office re my delay, they emailed me saying they were waiting for a back order of xxx to come from China...
I couldn’t live with the thickness of the reticle on my AR scope, but other than that it worked...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Mattraff » 26 Sep 2020, 4:16 pm

solarpak wrote:Mattraff,

you own a mobile phone? Have a look to see where that is made??

I know in the current economic climate its easy to be anti this or anti that -----but the choice is yours. Get a scope made in Japan, the Phillipines, the USA or Europe.

C.

As I said above, where I have a choice I prefer not to buy products made in China and I have always been that way. The lenses in many scopes come from China and they can make 1st rate products but they prefer to churn out crap and cut corners at every opportunity. When I was in China 2 years ago I looked at some Swarovski? branded scopes that were absolute crap and expensive but on questioning eventually the A grade quality stuff is shown and it was actualy half decent but with an asking price of $300 I wouldn't buy it.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 27 Sep 2020, 6:15 pm

Matraff,
yep i know where your coming from. There are companies in China who produce fake Zeiss and Swaro scopes and you can pick them out a mile away. However some international companies use manufacturing in China to produce scopes on order to a certain level.....Hawke and ZeroTech are two i can think of. The manufacturer must meet the quality standards demanded by the customer - if not they loose the contract.

Before the chinese started to manufacture optics japan was the country many optics companies turned to (and still do) . Manufacturers like Light Optics Works (LOW) and Shirstone Optics made most (if not all) optics with "made in Japan" on them for brands like Bushnell, Nightforce, some Zeiss models, early Tasco models and more.

But Euro brands are still the pinnacle and i do like the Meopta Meopro and Meostar , as well as the ZD range.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 27 Sep 2020, 6:34 pm

Are there dodgy companies in China making fake Zeiss / swaro scopes and sticking fake names on them ? If so how do they sell them , where do they sell them and are they not afraid of getting busted by the law ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by eddievic » 27 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm

Blr is that a serious question?

Do you know counterfeiting is probably one of the biggest illegal activities out there. As long as there are people out there who don't want to score a bargain there will be counterfeiting.

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Sep 2020, 9:47 pm

Here ya go BLR - quite informative
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZ-7esqO9Y
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 27 Sep 2020, 9:54 pm

Mattraff wrote:Made a decision today and cheaped out.with the choices I mentioned I would have gone the Meopta as I liked the look of it and it was Czech made like the rifle. I ended up going for a 1" scope and in that size there is probably 50 to choose from with most being made in China and where I have a choice I prefer not to buy Chinese. I rang the shop I bought the rifle from and asked them to put aside a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18×40 for me. They didn't have one in stock but he told me they have a Zerotech Vengance that is the same scope but a different name on it but better turrets as they lock. I don't like being lied to so didn't buy the scope through them. Zerotech are made in China the Bushnell AR Optics are made in Korea so they are not the same at all. The rings I chose are MDT Premier made in Canada.

now all you need is a pard nv 007 :drinks: l bought the same a while back for my 22 brno
TT is right that they have a thick reticle but it is a scope that works with the pard very well
another place to look at good cheap optics is Taiwan with the optisan

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by eddievic » 28 Sep 2020, 8:30 am

Ohh MM u r funny

The op doesn't like Chinese when he has a choice and in NV there is plenty of choice not Chinese.

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 28 Sep 2020, 2:32 pm

Blr243 wrote:Are there dodgy companies in China making fake Zeiss / swaro scopes and sticking fake names on them ? If so how do they sell them , where do they sell them and are they not afraid of getting busted by the law ?

The are companies in China making fake everything. As a tourist they will take you to the silk market where there are hundreds of stores selling all kinds of fake products of differing quality levels, on display will be C grade at A grade prices but if you tell them it's crap the B grade will be shown and then eventually the A grade. There are copies of Toyota Hi-Ace vans that are identical in Every detail on the surface. Land Rover took one company to the Chinese courts for making a copy of their cars and apparently won. Google Land Wing for pictures of it. I saw plenty of them on the roads. It is also funny walking the streets seeing Chinese wearing every brand of fake clothing as they love stuff with brand names on it and the bigger the name is written the better.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 28 Sep 2020, 9:47 pm

Yes I must have sounded a bit naive , maybe I should never go shopping at the markets In the street in China in case I get ripped off ...it seems they are so desperate to make money that they take risks by selling garbage labelled otherwise ....it’s a pathetic way to make a living ......and wearing a fake Rolex in some lame attempt to make yourself feel important is pretty sad too
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bello » 30 Sep 2020, 10:06 am

Hi Mattraff
I am like you, I like my scopes with a bit of magnification, perhaps a bit too much. :lol:
Everyone says 'You don't NEED that much magnification on that gun'. :roll: But guess what, I WANT that magnification on that gun. :!:
So go out and buy the scope that you want AND with the magnification you want.
I personally like lots of magnification because, when I am at the range I can see the holes at 200 meters on the targets. (yes I am aging :( )
I have several branded scopes, Leupold, Meopta, Swarovski etc etc.
They are all good scope with clear glass. For my field guns, hunting stalking etc, I favor Leuplod scopes. My reasoning for this is: I once damaged a scope and returned it to NIOA in QLD to get fixed. The turnaround time wasn't that long. If it was one of my swaros or S&B, I understand it would have to go overseas to get fixed and that could take forever.
The only bit of advice I can give you that may assist you is, try and get a scope with a low starting magnification like 4x or 3.5 x, so you don't lose too much field of view up close. I find in my experiences, I tend not to shoot my 22LR more than 100 meters and I prefer scopes that have a 4x starting magnification.
A good quality scope is like an investment, it will pay you back in the long term, when you need it to work out in the field, chances are it will be doing what it was designed to do.
Just my 2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Saltwaterbrock » 30 Aug 2022, 10:03 pm

I have a Styrka S5 4.5 - 14 X 44 mounted on mine with high rings.. definitely need those to clear the rail. I have a Styrka SE red dot mounted on the front at 45° offset. These are American scopes made in China. Unbeatable warranty. Quite acceptable quality glass for it's price point. Parallax adjustable, lots of nice features.. 1" tube so not to heavy... Look into them.. rifle is 22wmr..
Saltwaterbrock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Aug 2022, 8:38 am

UhOh
https://styrkastrong.com/

This is the heading I got from google :wtf:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by northdude » 03 Sep 2022, 8:48 pm

Ive got a fake zeis. Didnt realize it at the time. Its actually a pretty good scope...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by T3X@N » 10 Sep 2022, 6:51 pm

Going the other direction, I'm looking at an open red dot sight with a swing-away type magnifier for my 515. The reason being is I have a centrefire for long range accuracy, and I'm looking for something that's more of a short range target rifle. Totally agree that more magnification is better but imo it's pointless on most rimfires.
T3X@N
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 11 Sep 2022, 9:48 am

You should also look at any scope brands guarantee policy . In the not super expensive scopes I like Vortex and Leupold as they have better guarantees .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Scopes, sights and optics