Vari X Scopes

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Vari X Scopes

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Oct 2020, 5:50 pm

Seeing as most scopes these days are variable powered I've been wondering at which stage/distance do most hunters actually wind the power up ??

I for one, do so occasionally,,,, but have come to the realization that in fact most of my shots are taken at the base power, ie: 3X

Just wondering what the rest of you guys do. :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Vari X Scopes

Post by Blr243 » 03 Oct 2020, 6:19 pm

When I hunted in the day prior to thermal I used a vary 3-9. Sighted it in on 9 ....spotlighted on 9. Hunted on 3
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 03 Oct 2020, 9:46 pm

Normally 2.5x stalking. 1 or 1.25 x driven hunts then wind up as required.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Oct 2020, 10:00 pm

I always have mine set on 3x mate when walking or driving around to cater for the close range surprises you get sometimes. Wind it up to 9x when I see something in the distance. Rarely use anything in between.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 07 Oct 2020, 4:04 pm

I have 2 variable scopes in my collection of the rest, most of mine are fixed power. My .222 has a 2-7 power as It's one rifle i shoot from 20 meters to 200 meters at small targets, head shot roos and deer. my .222 magnum a 3.5-10, same reason. My 25-06 has a fixed 8 power, .308 fixed 6 power, .260rem has fixed 6 power, .22wmr fixed 4 power, my wifes .223 has fixed 4 power. Took me a few years to work out what I actually use what for and fit scope to suit.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Seeing as most scopes these days are variable powered I've been wondering at which stage/distance do most hunters actually wind the power up ??

I for one, do so occasionally,,,, but have come to the realization that in fact most of my shots are taken at the base power, ie: 3X

Just wondering what the rest of you guys do. :unknown:

I wind it down to minimum while I'm walking, or in heavy bush, then up to max when I'm in position for a long shot. Very occasionally I'll wind it back to optimal exit pupil in poor light.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 08 Oct 2020, 8:00 pm

I have varied mine a lot over the years. I have a 1-6 now, so obviously 1 in the real thick stuff, and then 2-3 in more open stuff, and if I have a rest then 5 or 6. So I will change it often while walking along, to be prepared.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 08 Oct 2020, 10:48 pm

I have scope from 1-6× right through to 4-18× and above.

Generally set them low for a quick shot. Crank them up for longer shots if time permits.

Generally, most sit on around 6x for most shooting. Night time stuff most sit on 12x.
Close in walking, they sit on between 1 and 3x depending on the rifle.
Horses for courses.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics