Help with setting up ATN X Sight HD

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Help with setting up ATN X Sight HD

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Oct 2020, 5:55 pm

Any of you guys got one of these ?
I picked one up 2nd hand for a back up rifle.

The focus knob is that damm stiff it almost needs stillsons to turn it.
Also,,, with IR is there such a thing as too much,,,,, IR illumination ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Help with setting up ATN X Sight HD

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2020, 7:16 pm

l had one and played with it quite a bit trying to get it to work, https://atnowners.com/thread/414/atn-sight-tips-tricks
this site helped a lot but it is run by the manufacturers, probably not a bad idea because they know the tweaks
lots of patches to fix problems

to answer your question about IR you need to adjust the focus on the IR if it seems too bright
if you want better IR use a laser IR torch https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw ... ch&_sop=12
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 15 Oct 2020, 7:14 pm

I’m not sure that too much illumination would be a problem. Illumination of the appropriate nm wavelength or whatever it’s called I think helps image clarity. Perhaps the. Correct appropriate nm is. Less likely to disturb animals ...pretty sure I have seen blokes here post quite technical info on the subject. I have a couple of nv units because I can’t afford another thermal......I need to win lotto then I will throw My nv scopes in the wheelie bin
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 15 Oct 2020, 10:07 pm

my wheelie bin Blr ;)
l have found using the bigger more powerful IR light l have recently purchased if l dont focus the IR light it is way too strong to be able to see anything
l would describe it as a blinding white out :unknown: but adjust the focus and it softens the white out to a very nice crisp black and white picture
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Oct 2020, 10:10 pm

marksman wrote:l had one and played with it quite a bit trying to get it to work, https://atnowners.com/thread/414/atn-sight-tips-tricks
this site helped a lot but it is run by the manufacturers, probably not a bad idea because they know the tweaks
lots of patches to fix problems

to answer your question about IR you need to adjust the focus on the IR if it seems too bright
if you want better IR use a laser IR torch https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw ... ch&_sop=12

Yeah, thanks for that MM
Very interesting in regard to the flip up lens with a 1/2" hole drilled in it.

The unit I bought already has an IR illuminator on it,,,,,,, albeit I suspect not yet focused properly.
But am still thinking of adding an extra one unless that would be counter productive.

What are your thoughts on the Chinee ones or would you recommend paying bigger $$$ for ? American,,,,,,,
or would they too be made by ol mate Mr Chinee ?
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 15 Oct 2020, 10:56 pm

with regard to the lens with the hole its works but l thought the hole was smaller than 1/2", the x-sight l had had that tweak from factory in a screw on cap
mine had a hole about 1/8' you would be very surprised at the difference, the patches are what really gets the x-sight working, l did have a bit of trouble with the focus knob but on the ATN owners site there is a fix, l just cant remember now what it was. l did have a problem with mine because l fried mine by using batteries that had an output that was too high, apparently they come with a warning now so dont use the cheapy rechargeable batteries from ebay use the suggested ones

l bought a bigger IR illuminator from Spectra tactical who l bought my pard nv 007 from viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14299
but l was given good advise from someone in the know that the laser IR torches from china off ebay are the go if you are really trying to stretch out your shots
my setup from Spectra works well out to over 300 that is as far as l have tested it to be able to 100% identify animal, in cattle country l have to be spot on
l haven't tried one of the chinese laser IR torches but really at the price they are what would you loose,
l would give them a try if you are not happy with the onboard IR :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Oct 2020, 4:50 am

How do you guys go with the updated INfrared ? I find if I spend any longer than a minute looking via pard, that when I look away, I’m completely dazzled for 30 seconds...is this my eyes or a real world problem ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 16 Oct 2020, 5:24 am

My really. Old pulsar nv blinds me real bad with eye strain but my. New pulsar n450 is Not A prob
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Oct 2020, 1:55 pm

marksman wrote:with regard to the lens with the hole its works but l thought the hole was smaller than 1/2", the x-sight l had had that tweak from factory in a screw on cap
mine had a hole about 1/8'

The screw in factory one that I've got is 1/2"
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 Oct 2020, 9:03 pm

l dont think it would hurt but try without then with and you will be amazed at the difference
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics