Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 Duplex Reticle

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 Duplex Reticle

Post by tb65 » 01 Nov 2020, 10:54 am

Is this scope and reticle a good choice for a 22LR for someone starting off with target shooting but unsure where they will end up? i.e. in future wanting to hunt and/or wanting to put that scope on a larger calibre rifle? Or is it better to choose a dedicated rimfire scope?
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 Duplex Reticle

Post by JimTom » 01 Nov 2020, 10:55 am

Exactly the scope I have on my .22LR mate. It is fine mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 01 Nov 2020, 3:57 pm

It will do the job nicely :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Nov 2020, 11:58 am

I've been eyeing this one off as an all-rounder to sit on some centerfires. FWIW the CDS turret is heaps better to adjust than the traditional. The quality of glass on the freedom is a rung lower than the VX3 though, not that it matters for punching paper in the middle of the day.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2020, 12:15 pm

in2anity wrote:I've been eyeing this one off as an all-rounder to sit on some centerfires. FWIW the CDS turret is heaps better to adjust than the traditional. The quality of glass on the freedom is a rung lower than the VX3 though, not that it matters for punching paper in the middle of the day.

I had a look at the specs, does it have parallax adjustment?
Does it focus back to minimum .22LR distances?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 03 Nov 2020, 2:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:I had a look at the specs, does it have parallax adjustment?
Does it focus back to minimum .22LR distances?

No parallax adj blade, and if it's anything like the 2.5-8x36 vx-3 that I have, there's no focus either. It's really a 100m+ hunting scope. However it works just great for midday Service distances (100m/200m/300m/400m) - easily good enough for plugging the Vs.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 7mmfats » 03 Nov 2020, 5:01 pm

I bought the leupold freedom rimfire 3-9x40 with the moa reticle and it’s tha s**t. I absolutely love it. I swapped it from a 2-7x33 vx 2 as I was struggling with close range stuff at high magnification. Get a rimfire scope
7mmfats
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Nov 2020, 7:22 pm

What sort of target shooting are you looking at?

The scope is not any sort of target scope, more like a budget entry level hunting scope.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Nov 2020, 9:29 pm

SCJ Telescopic snaps matches, front rest allowed, 4 second exposures anywhere within a 6ft region. Also Non-Sevice class in Service matches, which is a mix of Application, Deliberate, Rapids and Snaps (singles/doubles/triples), on standard service silhouettes at varying distances. Also would be fine for 3-P field positional, the other clubs do. That scope is plenty good enough for practical with time pressures.

Riddle me this Batman - if a fullbore shooter can go sub moa at 1000m, with irons, out of the sling, with wind, how do you think they’d fair with that scope as a substitute?
Last edited by in2anity on 04 Nov 2020, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2020, 10:53 pm

in2anity wrote:SCJ Telescopic snaps matches, front rest allowed, 4 second exposures anywhere within a 6ft region. Also Non-Sevice class in Service matches, which is a mix of Application, Deliberate, Rapids and Snaps (singles/doubles/triples), on standard service silhouettes at varying distances. Also would be fine for 3-P field positional, the other clubs do. That scope is plenty good enough for practical with time pressures.

Are we in a dark and stormy mood, are we? Becaus the elitism seems strong...

Riddle me this Batman - if a fullbore shooter can go sub moa at 1000m, with irons, out of the sling, with wind, how do you think they’d fair with that scope as a substitute?

I think he was responding to the OP who is looking for a scope for his .22LR.
It doesn't sound like a great choice for that to me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 04 Nov 2020, 6:56 am

bladeracer wrote:I think he was responding to the OP who is looking for a scope for his .22LR.
It doesn't sound like a great choice for that to me.

Yes I think I overreacted a bit. And I agree it's not the best scope for close range, fully supported shooting, where outcomes are measured using a small ruler. Still, they are nice little "all rounder" scope that are fine for mid-range, practical, full daylight shooting. Or hunting of course..
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 04 Nov 2020, 7:29 am

SCJ429 wrote:What sort of target shooting are you looking at?

The scope is not any sort of target scope, more like a budget entry level hunting scope.

I'm just a beginner guys, so I guess with a 22LR I'm just looking at 50m distance and trying out various shooting positions
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Nov 2020, 7:38 am

tb65 wrote:I'm just a beginner guys, so I guess with a 22LR I'm just looking at 50m distance and trying out various shooting positions

I'd suggest maybe an EFR then. Something like this https://magnumsports.com.au/leupold-vx- ... uplex.html that's a nice rimfire scope that one - if i had my time again, that's what would be atop my 22.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 14 Nov 2020, 2:25 pm

If your talking the rimfire parallax model. Not the centre fire parallax. I personal do not like Rimfire parallax model for target work. It could quite possibly just be my eyes. But if set the target at 50 metres the image seems to come in and out of focus when focusing on a target and white paper background.

I don’t notice the issue shooting at game and ever and close Ranges the scope seems to perform fine.

I used to have a standard Leupold vx1 3x9 Mounted on my 22. and I don’t recall it being An issue At 50 metres. But being a centre fire model the The parallax would be set at 100 yards.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Nov 2020, 6:43 pm

Cooper wrote:If your talking the rimfire parallax model. Not the centre fire parallax. I personal do not like Rimfire parallax model for target work. It could quite possibly just be my eyes. But if set the target at 50 metres the image seems to come in and out of focus when focusing on a target and white paper background.

I don’t notice the issue shooting at game and ever and close Ranges the scope seems to perform fine.

I used to have a standard Leupold vx1 3x9 Mounted on my 22. and I don’t recall it being An issue At 50 metres. But being a centre fire model the The parallax would be set at 100 yards.

Cooper, I found that different SSAA targets made a big difference to my focus at 50 yards. FWIW, the 4D target (Official 100 yard Hunter Target) was much better than the "six pack". YMMV
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics