Tension on little screws scope bases

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Tension on little screws scope bases

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2020, 7:48 am

Rifle is a 243 stainless howa. And this arv I will be fitting a two piece base set It’s prob Matt black and my assumption is that it’s incredibly Unlikely The screws will be stainless ...Now that I have purchased an adjustable torque screwdriver I can join the anal retentive crew and set my screws to a desired force .....what do you do?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Tension on little screws scope bases

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2020, 11:09 am

I realised later that it was a bit silly worrying about it so I just did what felt right and it was entirely successful
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 07 Nov 2020, 11:41 am

The rings & bases may well have suggested torque settings BLR...go with them mate...
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2020, 1:56 pm

It’s prob a good idea that manufacturers specify torque on products. Perhaps 80 per cent of people can get by with common sense ...and perhaps the remainder run into dramas going too tight or too loose. So Thorough instructions are likely to ensure most people get the job done right with minimal grief
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Nov 2020, 2:54 pm

lMHO Blr it depends a lot on the size of the screw and materials they are made of but they should at least be evenly tightened and the bases should be tightened to around 20-25 inch pound, l like to use 1 piece bases because the base should be more rigid as be lined up straight

l would also advise to bed the bases with JB weld or similar, like what this guy is doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrX73goySlw
l do it a bit differently as l basically glue the base to the action not wanting the base to ever be removed and put the screws in straight away to line it all up but not tightening the base screws to 20-25 inch pounds till the JB weld cures, obviously the screws are greased so they do not get glued while the JB weld is curing and the base is tightened just enough to make it flush before curing has happened
this is what works for me :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2020, 3:09 pm

I generally put full rails down too I think they are more flexible with regards to adding whatever to it. but with my new top feed howa s I went pair of bases For more space when top loading ....not sure if it helps or not. I spose I’ll find out next bush trip
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics