Purchasing a second hand scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Purchasing a second hand scope

Post by Morningblue7 » 13 Nov 2020, 1:00 pm

Hi all,
pretty new to the shooting/hunting scene so I am after some advice. I often find quality scopes (leupold,meopta,zeiss) on sites like usedguns or ssaa at very reasonable prices but I am unsure whether they are worth buying second hand or new. I know that brands like Leupold and Meopta have transferable warranties but that requires that the seller still has the proof of purchase, and in most cases they don't.

So I am in a bit of a dilemma of whether it's worth buying a quality scope without warranty, or buying some scope of less quality but with some warranty. Also, most of the times the deal is that I have to transfer the money first and then they will post the scope, but in my experience buying stuff online you usually post the item first and then you transfer the money.

Cheers, Bill.
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Purchasing a second hand scope

Post by bladeracer » 13 Nov 2020, 1:27 pm

Morningblue7 wrote:Hi all,
pretty new to the shooting/hunting scene so I am after some advice. I often find quality scopes (leupold,meopta,zeiss) on sites like usedguns or ssaa at very reasonable prices but I am unsure whether they are worth buying second hand or new. I know that brands like Leupold and Meopta have transferable warranties but that requires that the seller still has the proof of purchase, and in most cases they don't.

So I am in a bit of a dilemma of whether it's worth buying a quality scope without warranty, or buying some scope of less quality but with some warranty. Also, most of the times the deal is that I have to transfer the money first and then they will post the scope, but in my experience buying stuff online you usually post the item first and then you transfer the money.

Cheers, Bill.

I personally don't buy secondhand glass, just as I wouldn't buy secondhand micrometers, or similar precision instruments.

I've never bought anything online without paying for it beforehand. Same as buying something face-to-face, pay first, then collect. I can't imagine anybody taking the time to send something out before they've been paid for it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Morningblue7 » 13 Nov 2020, 2:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I personally don't buy secondhand glass, just as I wouldn't buy secondhand micrometers, or similar precision instruments.

I've never bought anything online without paying for it beforehand. Same as buying something face-to-face, pay first, then collect. I can't imagine anybody taking the time to send something out before they've been paid for it.

Cheers for the advice, and I do understand your reasoning. It's just that often you can find offerings in near new condition for 50% of the LGS's price.

Also, I should have clarified before, that I usually use Paypal where you send the money online but the seller isn't payed until they provide a tracking number to Paypal. But most of the older demographic doesn't use it. Anyway, all advice is welcome and I'll keep it in mind going forwards.
Cheers, bladeracer.
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 13 Nov 2020, 3:10 pm

I bought a used Vortex scope a a while ago and it was a dud. Wouldn’t track and the adjustments were all over the place. Saying that, today I posted a scope to a bloke who bought it off one of the used sites, it was like new and I guarantee he will be happy with it, it just didn’t suit my needs as I hoped when I bought it originally. But it’s definitely a case of buyer beware with used gear, plenty of good used stuff out there, but you’ll wear the risk.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 13 Nov 2020, 3:18 pm

I know that brands like Leupold and Meopta have transferable warranties but that requires that the seller still has the proof of purchase, and in most cases they don't.

Cheers, Bill.

Leupold has a transferable lifetime warranty.
Why is it that you think that you need a purchase receipt?
I have a Leupold that required repair after something like 25 years. There's no way that I would have kept a receipt that long, but NIOA honoured the warranty without question
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Nov 2020, 3:21 pm

No1 is correct - no receipt required and one reason I happily buy leupold 2nd hand - the service when things go wrong is top shelf as well - NIOA have blown me out of water with their resolution service.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 13 Nov 2020, 3:41 pm

What size scope are you thinking of buying?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Morningblue7 » 13 Nov 2020, 4:32 pm

No1_49er wrote:
I know that brands like Leupold and Meopta have transferable warranties but that requires that the seller still has the proof of purchase, and in most cases they don't.

Cheers, Bill.

Leupold has a transferable lifetime warranty.
Why is it that you think that you need a purchase receipt?
I have a Leupold that required repair after something like 25 years. There's no way that I would have kept a receipt that long, but NIOA honoured the warranty without question

I'm pretty sure I read it in both Leupold's and Meopta's website some time ago when I was looking at them that they require proof of purchase but I could be wrong. :unknown:
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Morningblue7 » 13 Nov 2020, 4:36 pm

Bugman wrote:What size scope are you thinking of buying?

Hi Bugman, I am after a 3-9 to go on my 243, as a hunting setup.
I was looking at either a Meopta Meopro or a Leupold VX3 that you can usually find in the 5-600 range (if used).
Cheers.
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Nov 2020, 4:48 pm

G'day Morningblue7,
Because of what I shoot I can only buy old scopes (up to and over 100years), due to this I ask questions and try to gauge the sellers honesty from how they reply as much as what they reply. A couple of times I have bought a modern 2nd hand hunting scope (Bushnell Sportview 3-9x40 and a Zenison 4x40) Out of more than 30 scopes I have never had an issue, but maybe I was lucky. Other 2nd hand scopes I have bought from gunshops and been able to inspect prior to purchase. As the others have stated Leupold stand by their products, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 13 Nov 2020, 4:54 pm

I have bought a number of second hand scopes some still attached to scopes but most not.
I have sent most Leupolds straight to NIOA for servicing and never had an issue.
As many mentioned Leupold is usually no problem but I am told, but cannot confirm, that NIOA will only Warranty service scopes originally sold in Australia.
Not really a biggy but it is there.
I have only bought 1 scope that needed work and that was a B. Nickel, Marburg 3.5-10 I bought from Germany. Considering the brand the service cost of $200 was nothing really.

Good luck with your search. Have a look online. Leupold's often go on sale so the price between new and used is sometimes pretty small.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 13 Nov 2020, 9:41 pm

Wise question to ask is whether the scope has been on a spring piston air rifle and if so beware.
A springer will beat many scopes to death, some are OK but many high end manufacturers specifically state that their scopes are not air rifle rated.
Notable that the Bushnell Trophy 4-12X40 is an exception, they are not bad glass and are very reliable on even very large springers so will be indestructible on a .243.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Medb » 13 Nov 2020, 10:24 pm

I have bought several high end scopes off usedguns and other sites and haven't had any bad experiences so far, in fact most of the optics currently mounted to my rifles were all bought second hand.

As you have alluded to there are some real bargains to be had, particularly if you are somewhat flexible about your scope choice and aren't set on one exact make/model/reticle. Also it helps if you approach it from the standpoint of just checking the sites daily for good deals and just scoop up a good bargain when you see it, and aren't in a position where you need to buy a new scope right this instant.

I'd say it becomes more worth it the higher up you go in quality, one of my best pickups was a month old nightforce I got for 30% off retail which saved me a huge amount of money. When buying second hand you often get rings or a mount thrown in for free as well, although they obviously may not be suitable for your particular rifle or low quality.

Although to be fair, most of the scopes I have bought are high mag scopes mostly used for target shooting which are typically well taken care of, I suppose if you are looking for a 3-9 for a hunting rig there's probably a higher chance of it having being knocked around out in the field.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Morningblue7 » 14 Nov 2020, 8:03 am

Medb wrote:I have bought several high end scopes off usedguns and other sites and haven't had any bad experiences so far, in fact most of the optics currently mounted to my rifles were all bought second hand.

As you have alluded to there are some real bargains to be had, particularly if you are somewhat flexible about your scope choice and aren't set on one exact make/model/reticle. Also it helps if you approach it from the standpoint of just checking the sites daily for good deals and just scoop up a good bargain when you see it, and aren't in a position where you need to buy a new scope right this instant.

I'd say it becomes more worth it the higher up you go in quality, one of my best pickups was a month old nightforce I got for 30% off retail which saved me a huge amount of money. When buying second hand you often get rings or a mount thrown in for free as well, although they obviously may not be suitable for your particular rifle or low quality.

Although to be fair, most of the scopes I have bought are high mag scopes mostly used for target shooting which are typically well taken care of, I suppose if you are looking for a 3-9 for a hunting rig there's probably a higher chance of it having being knocked around out in the field.

Thanks a lot for the advice Medb,
I have had a similar experience in regards to finding higher or mid-range scopes at real bargains.
I am usually looking for scopes that are in near new condition so theoretically the shouldn't have been knocked around too much.
Cheers.
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 15 Nov 2020, 1:09 pm

Hi all
I have bought several scopes second hand with no problems at all.
The scopes were at the mid range price bracket, eg leupold, meopta, S & B, Swarovski, March, with no problems.
I can vouch for NIOA and their Leupold repair centre. I returned a second hand scope that became damaged, to NOIA. All fixed with no hassles. Good customer service. They have made a CDS dial for me with no problems. They have been good to me and for me thus far.
The great thing is it didn't take long as they are in QLD.
If I damage a S&B, Swaro or March, I understand they have to go overseas and that takes forever to fix.
For the price, Leupold, for a hunting scope and availability of service, if needed, are worth considering.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 15 Nov 2020, 1:54 pm

Further to me post, I got to cleaning out my storage lock up and found a Leupold Freedom 4-12 x 40 (duplex) still in it's box, mint condition. Me thinks I might put it up for sale.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 15 Nov 2020, 7:28 pm

I bought a Second had scope from a guy in Canberra Leupold 4 when it arrived it was nothing like I expected.
The turrets rattle that made me suss so I took a picture of it sent to Leopold serial number and all , came back not one of ours sorry you bought a knock off from China never again.
Guy would not answer his phone or emails lesson learnt .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics