Yes, another scope selection advice post

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Yes, another scope selection advice post

Post by Aussiehunter91 » 06 Dec 2020, 10:17 pm

G'day lads,

I've bought myself a sako 85 hunter in 30-06 and I'm looking to top it off with something real nice, something that will stand the test of time as I would love to pass this rifle onto my son (he's 4 months old at the moment) eventually. Im used to using leupold scopes which have never steered me wrong but I'm wondering if the high end scopes would be a better option. I'm the kind of person that goes by the unwritten rule of you spend atleast on the scope what you spent on the rifle. This rifle will mostly be used for hunting with a few range days thrown in and it won't be babied in the field. I've been looking at brands like kahles, Swarovski, Leica, Schmidt and bender, nightforce. But also looking at leupold, vortex and ziess. Is it just the glass quiality and low light capabilities that make the difference? Are the high end scopes a lot heavier? Has anyone ever regretted spending the big bucks? Currently leaning towards a Schmidt and bender exos or Swarovski z6i or z8i. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sako 85 hunter stainless 30-06 Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x 56
Beretta silver pigeon 686 12g sporter
Savage mkll .22lr leupold vx1 3-9x40
Remington 7615 Bushnell TRS-25
Adler straight pull B220 12g
Aussiehunter91
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Yes, another scope selection advice post

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 06 Dec 2020, 10:58 pm

I put a leica 3x15x56 great bit of glass that matches the rifle well. Only thing i didnt like was thw warranty 10 years as compared to most other manufactures offering lifetime. I have also placed a leupold VX5 hd 3×15 on my 7mm rem mag the glass on the VX5 is excellent clarity wise.

I was lucky enough to be given a VX5 2-10x44 fire dot scope that has replaced my VX3i scope that was once on my 308.

Admittedly i have purchased a lot of scopes burris,leupold,leica,redfield,vortex and GPO only ever had 1 problem with a leupold scope black dust on the inside of the lense it was a reassuring thing that I just took it in and was given another. Given that it now has a 2k price tag and thats the service that you get its hard to look past Leupold.

GPO scopes are also a great quality scope have a look through one if you can find a dealer that stocks them.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Dec 2020, 10:08 am

I had a Sako 85 with a Swarovski 1.5-6X42. Sold the rifle and kept the scope. Twenty odd years later it had to go back for service. Everything but the tube was replaced, Fr e e!
All my Leupolds have needed service, most of them several times, which is a nuisance to say the least. It involves the waste of time and money. Ammo. Petrol to and from the range.
To sum it up, the Swaro is much dearer but much less trouble. That is my experience, so how do I account for some Leupold owners having never to have sent their scopes back? In a word: L u c k.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Dec 2020, 4:40 pm

I must admit S&B, Meopta , Swarovski have all graced one of my rifles now and in the past. IMO you can't beat European optics, with probably the high end Leupolds a distant second. As I said, just my opinion.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 07 Dec 2020, 6:39 pm

if l had the coin l would have a kahles on every one of my rifles
l would recommend leupold for value and warranty :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bello » 08 Dec 2020, 5:59 pm

Hiya Aussiehunter91
I think all the scopes you have mentioned are good brands.
Most of the time, the greater the cost of the scope the clearer it will be.
As you mentioned, you may use the rifle at the range, I am thinking you may want a scope with a little higher magnification.
I like the higher magnification on my scopes, when at then range, it makes seeing the bullet holes, in the targets, easier at 200meters.
I have had experiences with Leupold scopes being damaged. The scope was sent to Nioa in QLD and fixed quite quickly.
I have heard if you damage a Swaro or S&B, it has to go overseas and that may take a long time to get back to you.
You mentioned you wanted the scope to last till your son grows up. That's a nice sentiment, but the technology is changing so rapidly that what is good this year may be outdated in a few years.
Buy a scope which suits your need now, the magnification you think you will need.
Only you know the properties you hunt on, the terrain and distance you will be dealing with. Will you need a scope with high magnification or a wide field of view.
my2c :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Dec 2020, 10:08 pm

I spoke to a shop in regards to a snb pm2 so big $$$ he advised me that its usually a 12 week turn around however he has had some blow out to 6 months.

Id be rather crabby if it took that long to get stuff sorted.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JoshR77 » 11 Dec 2020, 5:03 pm

marksman wrote:if l had the coin l would have a kahles on every one of my rifles
l would recommend for value and warranty :drinks:

Fully agree,the image is clear throughout the magnification range, and it gathers enough light to make twilight shooting possible. The lifetime transferrable warranty makes Leupold scopes a slam dunk. and the price is just great for the quality that you get.
Although if you have doubts maybe check some full reviews on them
like this
or this/
I have read a lot of these to choose mine actually
If you can`t change the situation - change yor reaction.
JoshR77
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Scopes, sights and optics