Scope options for 22-250

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope options for 22-250

Post by Paul » 08 Dec 2020, 9:16 pm

Admin - Not sure if this post belongs solely here, or in the Centrefire thread - let me know as I'm not sure about double posting as no doubt some folks only go to their favorite threads. I can delete one if required.

Some may have soon my posts on the 22-250 options. So I have a Tikka T3x Forest in 22-250 coming into the shop soon, so now my project is to check out scope options. Wanting to set up a quality rig that will be precise. Looking to shoot vermin - rabbits, fox, and[/u] permit roos. Maybe a goat or two.

My budget is prob up to $2,500 (though there are some options that sit around $1200-1300).

Some of my criteria are:

* enough magnification to shoot out to 300m (game and target)
* magnification to assist with my eyes getting older (20+ is fine)
* illuminated and simple (i.e not a ballistic type) reticle
* quality gear that will do the job through the whole range of powers.
* 30mm more light (??)
* turret style elevation and windage for easy dialing
* easy to adjust and 'feel' controls i.e. paralex, illum, magnification (not too stiff, not too loose)

Some options so far:

1. Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24 x 50 mm with Reticle 60 illuminated (basically a solid 3 post) [leading the pack at the mo]
2. Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27 x 50 4C illum reticle (looks good)
3. Meopta Optika 6 3-18 x 50 4C illum reticle
4. Vixen 5-20 x 50mm illum plex reticle
5. unfortunately I cat really afford my preferred Leica - like I have on the .308 :-( - But Amplus 6 2.5-15 x 56i??
6. Leupold options

Also looking to perhaps/ maybe/ possibly use a PARD NV 007 with this set up. Do-able??

Keen to hear your insights form experiences with any of the above, or simply opinions for the 250 outfit.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Scope options for 22-250

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Dec 2020, 8:43 am

The Nightforce SHV is a feature packed scope, the most expensive is $1,600. Hard to find a better scope for the price.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 12 Dec 2020, 10:43 am

I’ve got a Meopta meopro 6-18x50 on my Lithgow 223 and I find it a great scope, 25mm tube, clear, easy to adjust, turrets are capped though. I know the optika has superseded the meopro, I’m sure they’re just as good.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 12 Dec 2020, 11:58 am

Mate it’s hard to go past a Leupold given the lifetime warranty, nevertheless I run a few Meopta and I have absolutely no complaints about them either.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Dec 2020, 1:20 pm

For myself, I would hang out and get an original Zeiss Duralyt or Zeiss Conquest, if you can find one.
I would avoid all the "newer" models and variations that they put out currently.
The Zeiss that I run all have the #60 reticle you mentioned.
99% of my scopes are either Zeiss or Leupold.

If your looking for a cheaper option (I have no personal experience) but have been told by quite a few
that "GPO" (German Precision Optics) are pretty reasonable.

(FWIW)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Dec 2020, 1:32 pm

I also just noticed your comment about the Pard 007

I have tried other NV stuff but was sorely disappointed. (I cannot make comment on the Pard 007 cos I've never tried one)

I use Pulsar FXQ 50 clip on thermal,, and it never ceases to amaze me with its performance.
Used mostly on the Zeiss scopes that are a "marriage made in heaven"

I do not get the same degree of performance or clarity through Leupold or Swarovsky.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics