Meopta optics6 any experience?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Meopta optics6 any experience?

Post by johno90 » 22 Dec 2020, 4:56 pm

Hi guys new to the crew
Just got my first rifles 22lr, 223 and 6.5cm. Gun shop is adamant that I get meopta optic6 scopes from him, I have done a bit of research on them and they seem pretty good but don’t have the marketing such as vortex and other brands.
johno90
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Meopta optics6 any experience?

Post by JimTom » 24 Dec 2020, 1:43 pm

Mate I have a couple of the older Meopta Meopro mate and can’t fault them. I can’t see the Optika being bad given the quality of the Meopros etc. doubt you’d be disappointed.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 25 Dec 2020, 10:30 am

Have two Meopta scopes and can't fault them. Optics are excellent and they are well constructed.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 25 Dec 2020, 10:41 am

You just don't get the lifetime warranty that you get with Leopold is all. I have a mix of both.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 25 Dec 2020, 1:27 pm

Tis true, but having been ion the photographic business for over 45 years, I have found European optics superior, IMO. A lifetime warranty is good provided it is exactly that. I am just a suspicious old man I guess.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 25 Dec 2020, 1:46 pm

Being in that business you would have more idea than I would mate so I’d definitely be inclined to believe you.
I haven’t had to use the Leupold warranty yet however there are a few in here that have had it honoured apparently.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by markg » 25 Dec 2020, 3:39 pm

I am new to hunting (very new). I recently bought myself a Tikka SS Slight and put a Meopro 4x12x50 on it. I tried to get hold of a 2x10x50 but it was nigh on impossible. Most gunshops in my area have been struggling to get stock of anything, believe me I tried, looked at a few places online and they were all waiting for stock of a lot of things too. But I digress. I ended up getting the Meopro sent up from Melbourne . The scope seems pretty solidly built, lets a fair bit of light in. Adjustments are firm with a very solid and audible click, eye piece and zoom are good and firm. As I said I am a newbie, I have shot with it a couple of times and it seems like a good thing. I paid $550.00 for it and I think were originally around $750. The shop got stock of Optikas so they went out cheaper. For the money I don't think you could go wrong, many people like them a lot. I originally wanted a Steiner, but no one had any stock. so I ended up with the Meopta out of necessity at the time and came away impressed with it . The Meapro is not bad at all mind you but you can notice a bit of waving in the cross hairs/reticle when focusing, but hey, for the money it's a minor thing. I guess if you started to get up into the more expensive Meoptas this would be missing. I would say yes to the Meapro, it ticks a lot of boxes, it's built well, zoom is good, good light entry with the 50 objective, and you may well get one at a great price. A lot of folks have them so I guess that says a lot about them. As a side note I tried a Kahles the other day and came away really impressed, optics on those babies is superb, I want one...
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by johno90 » 25 Dec 2020, 10:10 pm

Yeah nice thanks for the reply’s, I was looking at vortex for similar money, the whole made in China turned me off a bit... I’m gonna try the optic6 and I’ll let you all know my thoughts once it arrives
johno90
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bman940 » 27 Dec 2020, 4:20 am

I have been hunting with the Optika5 2-10x44 this year and love it. A small step below the MeoPro but dang nice for the money. Great in low light and the weight is perfect for a hunting rifle. I have one going on a Tkiia T3 SS once I get it back from being threaded for a suppressor. For European quality and a great price to features ratio, Meopta is tough to beat.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by duddley75 » 29 Dec 2020, 11:12 am

I have a Meopta Optika 6 - 5 - 30 x 56 mounted on my 308 (mainly target work). Very well made, excellent optic and clarity. Not cheap but extremely happy with it.
Last edited by duddley75 on 30 Dec 2020, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chux » 29 Dec 2020, 9:00 pm

Bugman wrote:Tis true, but having been ion the photographic business for over 45 years, I have found European optics superior, IMO. A lifetime warranty is good provided it is exactly that. I am just a suspicious old man I guess.

Unless something has changed with Leup I can tell you my experience is that the lifetime is pretty close to that. I bought a second hand 3.5-10 VXIII back in 1987. In 1999 it was failing to hold zero so was sent in for a repair. As they no longer made the 3.5-10 in the AO I got a new in box 4.5-14 AO.

Now time moves on and there seems to be a few QC issues at Leopold but I will say in my experience the lifetime is exactly that.
On topic - nothing wrongs with Meopta. The Optika6 is on my list to consider for the next rifle build - although I really want a Nightforce :D
Chux
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by solarpak » 25 Apr 2021, 8:06 pm

Meopta make very fine scopes and have been doing so in the Czech Republic for a long time. They do all of their work "in-house" and that includes grinding and polishing of glass lenses.
Their Artemis, Meopro and Meostar scopes are excellent - but the cream of the crop in their ZD series which i think may have been discontinued (but dont quote me on this)

The new Optika's i havent had the chance of looking at but i would expect the same quality as the above models.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Veetwin » 30 Apr 2021, 9:29 am

Chux wrote:
Bugman wrote:Tis true, but having been ion the photographic business for over 45 years, I have found European optics superior, IMO. A lifetime warranty is good provided it is exactly that. I am just a suspicious old man I guess.

Unless something has changed with Leup I can tell you my experience is that the lifetime is pretty close to that. I bought a second hand 3.5-10 VXIII back in 1987. In 1999 it was failing to hold zero so was sent in for a repair. As they no longer made the 3.5-10 in the AO I got a new in box 4.5-14 AO.

Now time moves on and there seems to be a few QC issues at Leopold but I will say in my experience the lifetime is exactly that.
On topic - nothing wrongs with Meopta. The Optika6 is on my list to consider for the next rifle build - although I really want a Nightforce :D

I read somewhere that Meopta make some lens for Nightforce also other brands. Just food for thought.
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bill » 30 Apr 2021, 9:38 am

JimTom wrote:You just don't get the lifetime warranty that you get with Leopold is all. I have a mix of both.

the Leupold warranty is there for a very good reason. A mate has had 5 or 6 Leupolds repaired in the last 3 years but he does do alot of shooting. I just helped him mount a 2-7 Loopy that had just come back from repair only recently and it last less than 25 shots before it degassed in front of our eyes.

I own 4 meopta meopro's and a mate has 3 and we have had zero issues, they just work. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Apr 2021, 10:02 am

Where did you hear that Meopta supply lens to Nghtforce. Meopta use an external contractor to make their lens..

Meopta do or did supply Zeiss with their budget line of scopes made in the Czech Republic. Meopta make their own budget line of scopes in Asia, most likely in the Phillipines.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Apr 2021, 2:34 pm

Bill wrote:
JimTom wrote:You just don't get the lifetime warranty that you get with Leopold is all. I have a mix of both.

the Leupold warranty is there for a very good reason. A mate has had 5 or 6 Leupolds repaired in the last 3 years but he does do alot of shooting. I just helped him mount a 2-7 Loopy that had just come back from repair only recently and it last less than 25 shots before it degassed in front of our eyes.

Sorry for your mate, Bill but I am actually heartened by your post.
All of my Leupolds have had trouble too and I have felt like a lone voice crying out in the wilderness, when describing my experiences with them.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Veetwin » 30 Apr 2021, 3:07 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Where did you hear that Meopta supply lens to Nghtforce. Meopta use an external contractor to make their lens..

Meopta do or did supply Zeiss with their budget line of scopes made in the Czech Republic. Meopta make their own budget line of scopes in Asia, most likely in the Phillipines.

Sorry, may have got it slightly wrong, they were talking about spotting scopes I think,

"The NightForce and the Meopta S2 HD 20-70 spotter are the same exact scope in different clothing. The Cabelas Instinct Euro HD is the same scope as well.

Meopta makes all 3, but of course NightForce and Cabelas dresses them up their own way. Cabelas openly admits it is the same scope, NightForce is hesitant about it, but I was able to pry it from the lead customer rep in Idaho on the phone one day when I was asking him why NightForce was pricing the same scope $300 more than what Meopta themselves sells them for? The only answer he could give me was "it has to stand up to our strict standards" Hogwash! It's the same exact scope and NightForce charges you more for the name and fancy clothing.

And yes, I own a Meopta S2 HD spotter. They have unbelievably excellent quality and arguably the best glass out there right now, in ANY price range. There was no doubt I preferred the Meopta glass over the Swarovski HD glass when I compared the two. I actually walked into Cabelas with $3000 cash in my pocket wanting to buy the Swarovski HD 20-60 spotter, when the salesman said I should take the Meopta outside and compare them. It didn't take very long and I walked out with the Meopta. Or NightForce, or Cabelas Instinct Euro HD...whatever you want to call it. Same thing."
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Veetwin » 30 Apr 2021, 3:12 pm

Czech Republic
Q: Where was my Meopta made? A: All of our optics are made at our facilities in the Czech Republic and the U.S.A.
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 02 May 2021, 12:44 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Where did you hear that Meopta supply lens to Nghtforce. Meopta use an external contractor to make their lens..

Meopta produce all their lenses "in house' - so i dont know where you heard that from!!

Nightforce is made by an optics contractor in Japan who source their components from all over the world - lenses included.

Meopta have a budget line - well i know all their scopes have "made in the Czech Republic" on them - unless your referring to the new Optika range which i havent used. I have used their Meopro, Meostar and ZD models - all made in the Czech Republic.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tilb004 » 02 May 2021, 3:13 pm

johno90 wrote:Hi guys new to the crew
Just got my first rifles 22lr, 223 and 6.5cm. Gun shop is adamant that I get meopta optic6 scopes from him, I have done a bit of research on them and they seem pretty good but don’t have the marketing such as vortex and other brands.

Hi johno

I have no experience with the optika 6 but had a meopro 6-18x 50 .
I bought it second hand off abused guns . Com
It had good clarity , not as bright as my nightforce but still good .
The windage broke ,sent it away to get repaired because they have lifetime warranty.
Got email from the rep saying they are sending me a new optika 5 4-20x 50 because they don’t make meopro anymore.
Sorry about the long winded story, but the gist is they are good for there life time warranty and I am wrapped to be getting a new scope.

Tilb
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 02 May 2021, 3:39 pm

solarpak wrote:

Meopta produce all their lenses "in house' - so i dont know where you heard that from!!

Nightforce is made by an optics contractor in Japan who source their components from all over the world - lenses included.

Meopta have a budget line - well i know all their scopes have "made in the Czech Republic" on them - unless your referring to the new Optika range which i havent used. I have used their Meopro, Meostar and ZD models - all made in the Czech Republic.

C.

No need to work yourself up C, my understanding was that S&B was the only major scope manufacture that made their own lenses. I understood that Meopta use Schott glass and did the finishing and coatings themselves. You seem adamant that they do it in house. What ever.

Not all their scopes are made in the Czech Republic, some are or were assembled in the US. Some components for Moepta scopes are not made in the Czech Republic but they put that on the scope because they are assembled there. This is very common amoung scope manufactures, S&B make their lenses in Hungary but the scopes are from Germany.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Veetwin » 03 May 2021, 3:25 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
solarpak wrote:

C.

No need to work yourself up C, my understanding was that S&B was the only major scope manufacture that made their own lenses. I understood that Meopta use Schott glass and did the finishing and coatings themselves. You seem adamant that they do it in house. What ever.

Not all their scopes are made in the Czech Republic, some are or were assembled in the US. Some components for Moepta scopes are not made in the Czech Republic but they put that on the scope because they are assembled there. This is very common amoung scope manufactures, S&B make their lenses in Hungary but the scopes are from Germany.

About Meopta
Meopta is an international company with a long rich tradition of developing, manufacturing and assembling world class optical, opto-mechanical and optoelectronic products. Meopta‘s state of the art design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly capabilities enable it to provide the highest quality products and services to the industrial, military and consumer markets.
A company with a broad global reach
Meopta operates state of the art facilities in both the United States and the Czech Republic. This unique structure allows Meopta to respond to the needs of its customers quickly and effectively.
Boasting one the best trained and most highly skilled work forces in the industry, Meopta develops and manufactures the most technologically advanced, high performance products in the world.
From precision medical and scientific instruments
to digital cinematic projectors, aerospace technologies, military weapon systems and consumer sports optics, Meopta’s unparalleled experience allows it to design, engineer and manufacture a diverse array of high quality products across a broad spectrum of markets and industries, making it a global leader in the optical field.
Meopta U.S.A., Inc.
headquarters in Trinity, FL is a state of the art manufacturing, assembly, and engineering facility that is home to our aerospace, general defense contracting and North American sports optics divisions. Fully ISO certified for manufacture, service and support a broad array of technologically advanced optical systems and assemblies for the industrial, military and consumer markets.
Meopta - optika, s.r.o.
headquarters located in Prerov, Czech Republic. This advanced state of the art facility houses R&D, Engineering, Coating Design, Manufacturing, Assembly and Administrative offices. Every aspect of product design is carefully monitored, while each component is manufactured in compliance with our Total Quality Control standards.
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 04 May 2021, 8:40 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
solarpak wrote:

C.

SCJ,
no offence taken my friend - we are all on the same team.
No optics manufacturer makes their own glass. Glass is make by manufacturers like Schott, Pyrex etc.... who make glass everything!! I friend who used to manufacturer and repair scientific glassware (he snow retired) visited the schott plant in europe and saw how there made glass especially tailored for optics . Fascinating stuff and i could go on for hours but he did say that the major optics manufacturers would buy the glass slabs they wanted ( to the specifications they required ) and take them away and finish them off into the final lenses .

Anyway manufacture processes change all the time. Heck i was just looking at on elf the new Burris Signature HD scopes tonight - looks like a great optic.....turned it upside down to see a tiny "made in China" sticker on that too.

I agree ....if money was no object i would always plump for Euro glass like Zeiss V8 / Victory, Swaro , Leica etc.... you do get the best but pay for it.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics