Decision Paralysis

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Decision Paralysis

Post by ando967 » 05 Jan 2021, 1:35 pm

I've been looking to buy a nice 5x25 scope for precision rifle, I had originally decided on a Vortex PST GenII but doing a little research has just muddied the waters. I'm looking to spend $1800-2500 give or take a bit. The list of potential scopes has expanded rapidly and I'm now more confused than when I started. Keen to hear some opinions on these scopes

Bushnell DMR2 3.5-21x 50 H-59 ret
Vortex PST Gen2 5-25x 50
Athlon Ares 4.5-30x 56
Burris XTR2 5-25x 50
Leupold Vx3 LRP 6.5 - 20 ( I already own a Mark4 that is great but you cant seem to get them anymore?)

Does anyone have experience with these or could recommend one over the other for any reason or have I missed an option. Warranty is probably a big part of the selection, but glass quality, tracking, reticle choice will all play a part too. As much as Id like to, I cant justify the extra money on a S&B PM2, Kahles k624 ,Nightforce NX8 or Leupold Mark 5.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Decision Paralysis

Post by Tiger650 » 05 Jan 2021, 1:39 pm

Nightforce NSX works for me.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 05 Jan 2021, 1:42 pm

I have a bushnell 6500 Tactical which is very clear a 5-25 and a Athlon Argos 5-30 it is nice and clear but it is a little bulky both of those are FFP.
A common mistake on here is people say that the reticle is crowded when on high magnification a classic case of giving information without ever having used one. The reticle is more compact crowded on low magnification and enlarges when on high magnification. I like the G2 reticle.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jan 2021, 9:20 pm

I have a Leupold 8 - 25 LRP VX3 and it is not bad. Similar quality to a Nightforce SHV, although the NF might edge it out with better turrets.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Medb » 05 Jan 2021, 9:48 pm

I think you are correct to be cautious towards the Vortex. Obviously it is a tempting scope because you get a lot of magnification and features for the $$$ it costs. But as you may have read, their quality control is not the greatest and a lot of lemons make it through and end up being sold. They then rely on their warranty to sort it out (which is very good and they are very helpful and nice) but it's just an added headache you don't want to deal with.

Do you want a First Focal Plane scope or not? Because if you do it kind of changes things.

Out of the list you posted I would go for the Leupold, but if it was my $$$ I would be looking at the Nightforce NXS range.

Overall it really depends on whether First Focal Plane is important to you, or how much you value any extra magnification past the 20x threshold.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Larry » 05 Jan 2021, 9:57 pm

The NF NXS range will be well out of the Budget you could get a second hand one quite easily for under the $2.5k and even probably a new 8-32 BR model which are very good. I have both a NXS 8-32 and a BR 8-32 the NXS has a thicker reticle. They are made to last and the turrets will last forever. They handle comp shooters adjusting them every range every weekend for years without problems.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jan 2021, 10:04 pm

Larry wrote:The NF NXS range will be well out of the Budget you could get a second hand one quite easily for under the $2.5k and even probably a new 8-32 BR model which are very good. I have both a NXS 8-32 and a BR 8-32 the NXS has a thicker reticle. They are made to last and the turrets will last forever. They handle comp shooters adjusting them every range every weekend for years without problems.

Last time I bought a NF NXS 8 - 32 it was just over $2,500 so I imagine that the 6-22x would be even less. These would be much better than any of the options listed.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ando967 » 06 Jan 2021, 1:01 pm

Yeah Nightforce has always been a brand to respect but the NX8 4-32 or the ATACR and BEAST out of my budget. I had seen the NXS 5.5-22 x56 but I'm not sure if its available in FFP, MRAD turret and MRAD reticle. Can anyone shed some light on that? My Selection criteria are:

FFP
MRAD turrets
MRAD reticle
Magnification 5-25 (give or take)
Budget $1800-2500 (give or take a bit)
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bello » 06 Jan 2021, 1:37 pm

Hi mate
Have you looked at second hand scopes.
Lots of scopes going and sometimes you can get a bargain.
I have several brand scopes in that magnification you seek. I like my Swarovski in that magnification. Really clear glass.
The Leupolds, S&B and Swarovski are my pick. Second hand. :thumbsup:
If possible don't get a low grade scope for a precision rifle. You may regret it later.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jan 2021, 3:56 pm

Why do you need a FFP scope? Have you used one before? Is this for competition use and if so, what type of competition?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ando967 » 06 Jan 2021, 4:39 pm

Yeah I'm on a Facebook group that lists second hand scopes, I'm not super tech savvy so I'm not super confident about dropping $2K+ into an account on a promise that they put it in the mail? Does anyone have experience surrounding that issue? The other thing that worries me is that I'm buying sight unseen so wont be able to pick up any faults? Yeah my experience is mainly with FFP, except for my hunting rifles where I'm happy with a SFP duplex type, so I'd much prefer the FFP to keep the reticle subtentions true for holdovers. I shoot a NRL22 style event at a club and am looking to hit a few PSR matches this year if they get back up.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jan 2021, 7:47 pm

Why don't you ask around your club to see who is selling some stuff. I often come home from a competition with something I never knew I needed. I guy was having some tax issues a couple of years back so I bought his Nightforce Competition 55x off him, what a charitable bloke I am. Got to shoot his rifle with the scope on it before I handed over the money. Best way to buy a scope ever.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Jan 2021, 7:43 pm

It’s very frustrating that leupold are currently unavailable. The LRP is a no-brainer. I heard the factories are shut due to Covid - but that’s anecdotal, don’t know for sure.

I was in the same boat recently for an upcoming long range championship where I specifically wanted an FFP reticle that I could accurately and consistently dope on the fly. I tried desperately to obtain an LRP FFP as I’m a big Leupold fan. Nonetheless I ended up settling on the Vortex just because that’s all I could get. It’s really not a terrible scope, for shooting high contrast targets. I’d say “good enough” for target shooting.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jan 2021, 1:22 pm

The PRS crowd seem to like the top end Vortex scopes. They cost nearly as much as a NF or S&B so I assume that is what it takes to build a quality optic. Sometimes you are better off to wait and keep saving to get the quality you are after.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ando967 » 14 Jan 2021, 6:29 pm

Yeah I've been trying to chase down a Bushnell 3.5-21 x 50 EDMR over the last few days and no one has them and potentially looking at reasonable waits due to the state of the world we live in these days, so I'm starting to think that waiting and saving some more till I get into the $3-3500 bracket and hopefully there isn't to much of a price hop in between.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Skinna » 15 Jan 2021, 9:23 am

Larry wrote:I have a bushnell 6500 Tactical which is very clear a 5-25 and a Athlon Argos 5-30 it is nice and clear but it is a little bulky both of those are FFP.
A common mistake on here is people say that the reticle is crowded when on high magnification a classic case of giving information without ever having used one. The reticle is more compact crowded on low magnification and enlarges when on high magnification. I like the G2 reticle.

Im sure i would have read most scope threads on here in the last 3 or more years & havent seen anyone say that...yet you make it out to be, as you say, "common"...
Can you show me where people say this...??
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Aliqua » 16 Jan 2021, 6:23 am

A few have mentioned the nightforce nxs. I've got the nightforce nxs 8-32x56 and I couldnt be happier. I think they're about 500 above your budget but well worth the money!!! Shot the gong at 500m a couple of weeks ago and it was a clear view through the glass!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Jan 2021, 9:32 pm

Most scopes will allow a 500m gong shot.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 17 Jan 2021, 4:16 pm

All scope brands can have their failures but at least Vortex does the right thing .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by ando967 » 25 Jan 2021, 5:41 pm

Well after much searching I recently managed to pickup a Kahles K624i second hand off a Facebook group. Ended up paying a little more than I planned but it is realistically a much better optic than the ones I was looking at and will still come in around $2800 with a set of Seekins Precision rings and tenebraex covers. I've had a play with these down at our club and it was pretty impressive so hopefully in a week or two I'll be able to have a crack with it. Thanks for the suggestions along the way. I'm still a big Leupold fan and even though they are a bit light on for features the VX3 LRP still appeals to me as a mid range option as silly as that sounds at about $2000, but they stand behind the product and I still rate my Mark4 highly, I'm still holding out for the lottery win so I can ring Hensoldt or Tangent Theta....
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jan 2021, 9:03 pm

Beautiful scope, I am sure you will love it. Khales is much better than your original options.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 26 Jan 2021, 6:36 pm

I just shot a Queens S/H category with a entry/mid-level Vortex FFP (Strike Eagle 56mm to be exact). Put it this way, the scope was hardly a factor when shooting the unacceptable 4s. Good technique, good barrel, good ammo, good wind reading - so much more important... under midday match conditions.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics