Scope for 223 Target Shooting

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope for 223 Target Shooting

Post by Yes » 25 Jan 2021, 4:30 pm

I am interested in grabbing a Leupold VX3I 4.5-14X50 30MM for my 223... I will be doing a lot of bench rest shooting - wouldn't mind pushing the ranges out a little - even some longer gong shooting for fun, and a bit of hunting on Roos and foxes (although I have a couple 3-9x40mm scopes that I could use for this purpose if it suits me better).

For $1350, which is what I can grab the VX3I for at the moment - should I be looking at any other option than the Leupold? I could go a hundred, or two-hundred more if there was something that was leaps and bounds better than the VX3I 4.5-14X50, so happy to hear those suggestions also.

Thanks in advance!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Scope for 223 Target Shooting

Post by Potatoes » 25 Jan 2021, 6:54 pm

I have a 4-16x44 on my 223 and can bullet holes at 100m and struggle to see them at 200 yards unless i have those targets with the black paint and fluro underneath. I have a plex reticle and wish i had of gotten a bdc reticle.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jan 2021, 8:51 pm

You will find that 14x is not enough magnification for even the shortest range benchrest. I would suggest 30x as a minimum and 40x or 50x even better. You can get a second-hand Nightforce BR 12-42x56 for $1,500 which would be an excellent scope for your application. Mine has been excellent to use for a few years now.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 26 Jan 2021, 6:40 am

SCJ429 wrote:You will find that 14x is not enough magnification for even the shortest range benchrest. I would suggest 30x as a minimum and 40x or 50x even better. You can get a second-hand Nightforce BR 12-42x56 for $1,500 which would be an excellent scope for your application. Mine has been excellent to use for a few years now.

Agreed.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 26 Jan 2021, 7:09 am

Thanks for the replies so far!
Looks like I'll be upping the power - I might need to pay a little more in that case.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 26 Jan 2021, 10:01 am

I ise my 223 as a trainer for long range shooting the ability to see wbats happening and whats potential going wrong is most helpfull. I went for a burris Xtr-2 5-25 ffp.

I can see where my hits are on paper out to 300 hreat optic would do it the same way again if i had my time. Great setup for sitting on the back of a ute at night spotlighting those timmid animals at longer ranges.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bello » 26 Jan 2021, 11:15 am

Hi Mate
I would suggest either a 5-25 at minimum or a 5 - 30.
I have Swarovski scopes (Nice clear glass) on some of my hunting rifles in these powers. When at the range I can see the holes in the targets out to 200 meters no problems.
If you decided you want to do bench rest comp, I would suggest a March 60 power or 80 power. You can get them second hand sometimes at reasonable prices.
March are pricy but quite good with lots of magnification.
Look on the second hand gun sites.
I like Leupold and have a few on my rifles. I like the 4-24 leupold.
Happy shopping.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 26 Jan 2021, 2:49 pm

OK seems like great advice.

Has anyone had any experience with the Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 Ballistic Turret scope? They're just over $2000 and look to be quite good. Leupold don't have much around that money in the higher magnification range. And I'm not a huge fan of Nightforce scopes.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Jan 2021, 4:09 pm

Swarovski are known for their hunting scopes but they own Khales where they place their competition style scopes. I would be looking at that line up as you will not find any Swarovski scopes at a competition.
If you don't rate Nightforce, get ready for 80% of the other competitors to be using them. You have to wonder why so many guys use them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 26 Jan 2021, 4:11 pm

25 power is not enough for target shooting. Listen to the guys that have already given advice. Mine is much the same go for NF or March nothing less than 32 and preferably 52. If you try for less you will end up spending more money upgrading rather quickly due to being disadvantaged.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Yes » 26 Jan 2021, 6:12 pm

Thanks again.
I should have clarified, I'm not going to be comp shooting, just have a property that can accommodate ranged shooting - paper at longer ranges isn't likely to interest me (say beyond 200m). But gongs 500-800+ for the fun of it are more likely where the longer shots will be taking place.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 26 Jan 2021, 6:47 pm

Yes wrote:Thanks again.
I should have clarified, I'm not going to be comp shooting, just have a property that can accommodate ranged shooting - paper at longer ranges isn't likely to interest me (say beyond 200m). But gongs 500-800+ for the fun of it are more likely where the longer shots will be taking place.

That kind of changes things. Just get a vx3 CDS with plenty of magnification then. Comp level F class style on the other hand - a different ball-game.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 27 Jan 2021, 8:32 am

in2anity wrote:
Yes wrote:Thanks again.

That kind of changes things. Just get a vx3 CDS with plenty of magnification then. Comp level F class style on the other hand - a different ball-game.

Thanks for that - the CDS does appeal to me - I'm likely to be sticking to two key bullet loads, so can simply grab two of the turrets specific to those loads.

I will opt for the highest magnification around that $2000 mark also - so thanks for the great feedback and help!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 27 Jan 2021, 11:42 am

Yes wrote:I will opt for the highest magnification around that $2000 mark also - so thanks for the great feedback and help!

Probably don't need to spend that much. Besides the LRPs are unavailable now due to the rona. I have the 6.5-20x CDS duplex on my 223 comp gun - regularly use it to 400m for which the 223 is great.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 27 Jan 2021, 11:46 am

in2anity wrote:
Yes wrote:I will opt for the highest magnification around that $2000 mark also - so thanks for the great feedback and help!

Probably don't need to spend that much. Besides the LRPs are unavailable now due to the rona. I have the 6.5-20x CDS duplex on my 223 comp gun - regularly use it to 400m for which the 223 is great.

The VX3I in 6.5-20x50 CDS with a 30mm tube are around $1850... seems like a fairly good option.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 27 Jan 2021, 11:49 am

Yes wrote:The VX3I in 6.5-20x50 CDS with a 30mm tube are around $1850... seems like a fairly good option.

Doubt you'll be disappointed.I'm really not sure about stock levels in Oz though...

Be forewarned, the 50mm objs are bulky - best on a rifle with an adjustable comb.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 28 Jan 2021, 5:00 am

Hi Mate
I had a CDS dial on one of my rifles. Not bad.
But you have to get the load spot on.
It can't be a 'Yeah this load will do' type thing.
Hunting loads are different to target loads.
The CDS will not be as accurate unless you have all your ducks lined up (brass, primes etc)
my2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Jan 2021, 6:52 am

Bello wrote:Hi Mate
The CDS will not be as accurate unless you have all your ducks lined up (brass, primes etc)
my2c

I'm not sure how specifically the CDS feature is relevant here? - I take it you are saying generally, you feel Leupolds are not as accurate? Rest assured, under well-lit, like-for-like conditions, with like-for-like gear, you will be able to shoot the same sized group with a vx3 as you can with a NF or schmidt, particularly at 223 distances.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 28 Jan 2021, 10:51 am

in2anity wrote:
my2c

I'm not sure how specifically the CDS feature is relevant here? - I take it you are saying generally, you feel Leupolds are not as accurate? Rest assured, under well-lit, like-for-like conditions, with like-for-like gear, you will be able to shoot the same sized group with a vx3 as you can with a NF or schmidt, particularly at 223 distances.

I think Bello may be stating that the CDS needs very accurate data for it to transfer to accuracy on range? It is something I have thought about - but I guess for hitting gongs at distance an inch or so shouldn't make too much difference and will be a lot quicker to dial in and out over the varying distances I'll place my gongs.

On paper at 100m-200m I guess you will need to finely adjust the scope as you would anyway? I may have all this wrong!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 28 Jan 2021, 10:52 am

in2anity wrote:
Yes wrote:The VX3I in 6.5-20x50 CDS with a 30mm tube are around $1850... seems like a fairly good option.

Doubt you'll be disappointed.I'm really not sure about stock levels in Oz though...

Be forewarned, the 50mm objs are bulky - best on a rifle with an adjustable comb.

You have me thinking if I need the 50mm now!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Jan 2021, 11:04 am

Yes wrote:I think Bello may be stating that the CDS needs very accurate data for it to transfer to accuracy on range? It is something I have thought about - but I guess for hitting gongs at distance an inch or so shouldn't make too much difference and will be a lot quicker to dial in and out over the varying distances I'll place my gongs.

Oh right - yes I see what he means now. I mainly like CDS just because they are the modern equivalent of the taller "target" turrets. Easier to grip, and read. With respect to a NIOA custom dial - yeah you really need to validate your trajectory in practice before committing to a custom dial. I don't really bother with that these days - just keep your hunting shots under 300m and you can estimate the moa clicks pretty easy...

Yes wrote:On paper at 100m-200m I guess you will need to finely adjust the scope as you would anyway? I may have all this wrong!

Exactly, if you have the time to plink a target, you just dial it in. PRS may warrant a custom CDS but most of those guys use FFPs and holdover - doesn't take long to memorize the holds.
Last edited by in2anity on 28 Jan 2021, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 28 Jan 2021, 11:05 am

I would suggest either a 5-25 at minimum or a 5 - 30.
I have Swarovski scopes (Nice clear glass) on some of my hunting rifles in these powers. When at the range I can see the holes in the targets out to 200 meters no problems.
If you decided you want to do bench rest comp, I would suggest a March 60 power or 80 power. You can get them second hand sometimes at reasonable prices.
March are pricy but quite good with lots of magnification.
Look on the second hand gun sites.
I like Leupold and have a few on my rifles. I like the 4-24 leupold.
Happy shopping.

Hi in2anity
I do own several Leupold scope and do point people towards them as my experiences with them and their service dept in QLD had been nothing short of great.
My last post refered to the scope with the CDS.
You wrote "The VX3I in 6.5-20x50 CDS with a 30mm tube are around $1850... seems like a fairly good option."

I offer my advice, which come from my experience.
That, I believe is the relevance to the CDS dial on the scope.
I trust you are familiar with the CDS system
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Jan 2021, 11:28 am

Bello wrote:Hi in2anity
I do own several Leupold scope and do point people towards them as my experiences with them and their service dept in QLD had been nothing short of great.
My last post refered to the scope with the CDS.
You wrote "The VX3I in 6.5-20x50 CDS with a 30mm tube are around $1850... seems like a fairly good option."

I offer my advice, which come from my experience.
That, I believe is the relevance to the CDS dial on the scope.
I trust you are familiar with the CDS system

Yes sorry I didn't realize you were referring to the CDS custom service, makes sense what you were saying. Yes I've had that CDS thing done a couple of times myself - but funnily enough my load keeps changing :lol: Now I don't bother on my comp guns because i just "know the minutes", or i'll at least have it written down in my logbook.

On my little hunting carbine which is a little 300blackout (and drops like a stone past 120m) I just print my own holdover on label paper from officeworks, then stick it on the dial like this:

thumbnail_IMG_9533.jpg
DIY custom dial
thumbnail_IMG_9533.jpg (154.58 KiB) Viewed 5345 times

Does exactly the same thing and accurate enough on fur. I really don't push it much past 200m in the sticks.
Last edited by in2anity on 28 Jan 2021, 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 28 Jan 2021, 11:39 am

Yes wrote:
in2anity wrote:

The VX3I in 6.5-20x50 CDS with a 30mm tube are around $1850... seems like a fairly good option.

Pm'd you mate, I have one of these if you're after one:)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yes » 28 Jan 2021, 12:04 pm

Thanks, InisBineest - I will weigh up the options.

Although, from the few comments about the CDS and what I have read over the last day or so, I am not sure if it would be more marketing gimmick than real world practical.

Same goes for the 50mm vs 40mm - maybe I am too drawn to the bigger is better adage, and the 40mm would be better utilised in the field.

Thanks for all the replies, it has given a lot to think about!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Jan 2021, 12:18 pm

Yes wrote:Thanks, InisBineest - I will weigh up the options.

Although, from the few comments about the CDS and what I have read over the last day or so, I am not sure if it would be more marketing gimmick than real world practical.

Same goes for the 50mm vs 40mm - maybe I am too drawn to the bigger is better adage, and the 40mm would be better utilised in the field.

A 50mm is really bright, and amazing to look through. But it's more for those low-light conditions, which may be of interest to you if you are hunting around dawn/dusk. They are also obviously bulkier so not convenient for a carry rifle; again fine if you're not on foot.

Midday, shooting reasonably lit subjects will suit a 40mm just fine. You have to consider rings also - it's often hard to source the perfect ring such that your scope is that whisker off the barrel.

The EFR is handy for super close shots:

https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... ine-duplex
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 28 Jan 2021, 12:20 pm

Yes wrote:Thanks, InisBineest - I will weigh up the options.

If your shooting mostly in the bright of the day 40mm is perfectly sufficient, but if you shoot at dawn/dusk, you will appreciate the extra light that the 50mm brings in, but they do need higher rings.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yes » 28 Jan 2021, 2:42 pm

in2anity wrote:
Yes wrote:
The EFR is handy for super close shots:

https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... ine-duplex

I can actually get that scope for $1400 brand new at the moment... very tempted to pull the trigger!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Jan 2021, 2:59 pm

Yes wrote:I can actually get that scope for $1400 brand new at the moment... very tempted to pull the trigger!

They are a very good scope that you will continue to use for life. Also I will only ever get EFR moving forward - ultimate flexibility. They also hold their value.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Toolnup » 29 Jan 2021, 9:22 am

Looks like all Leupold VX-3's will have the CDS dial with Zero Lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8skVsk ... =emb_title
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics