Which of these scopes would you choose for a 308 w/Pard 007?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Which of these scopes would you choose for a 308 w/Pard 007?

Post by Tubs » 01 Feb 2021, 2:56 pm

Hey all, have made a shortlist of the following scopes to put on my Tikka 308 Super Varmint. The gun is pretty heavy, Ill be using it to develop long distance shooting skills as well as some hunting.

a. Meopro Optika6 3-18 X56 SFP aprox $1k (chunky!)
b. Bushnell 6-24 X 50 MOA SFP aprox $900 (chunky!)
c. Vortex DiamondBack Tactical 6-24X50 $670 (not so chunky)

Im liking the Vortex but not sure how well it will go with my Pard 007?

What do y'all think?

Cheers
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Which of these scopes would you choose for a 308 w/Pard

Post by Blr243 » 01 Feb 2021, 3:32 pm

I have no exp with those scopes or the pard. But I would be thinking seriously about how good they attach , and how easily they attach to the pard
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 01 Feb 2021, 5:02 pm

I don't thinly I'd be too worried about how easily the scopes attach or detach from the Pard007; I'd be more concerned about recoil.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 01 Feb 2021, 7:11 pm

None of them
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by InisBineest » 01 Feb 2021, 8:56 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have no exp with those scopes or the pard. But I would be thinking seriously about how good they attach , and how easily they attach to the pard

What he said... Without recoil, id consider the one with the lowest zoom setting. But i think recoil will be a factor. I've only hear of folks using the Pard 007 on rimfire rifles. Apparently they are quite good, but limited in resolution and range (unless you have a separate illuminator, in which case, resolution at distances that a 308 would be good at still might be an issue. Don't let me down it, by all means give it a go! Let us know how you go:)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 02 Feb 2021, 6:26 am

What type of hunting will you do with the rifle ?
Is this pard thing an ocular mount add on NV scope ?
Mounting ocular add on's create problems in scope mounting it has to be a long way forward to add on the NV and then the scope is wrong eye relief if you take it off . With something like that on a .308 it's risky to get hit in the eyebrow by the ocular of the NV unless it has a soft rubber eye piece setup which might save you .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bman940 » 02 Feb 2021, 9:12 am

I would up the magnification on the Meopta scope to an Optika6 4.5-27x50 in SFP or FFP with or without illumination and you are still well under a grand. This will get you up close and able to put all the accuracy in your rifle downrange. Meopta is known for their European glass for a reason and the components they use are just as good. You can easily spend more, but my hands on experience with mine say you aren't going to get more for your $. The hard part is tracking one down, guys realize how good they are and they fly off the shelves. Mine sits on a Bergara LRP .308 Win.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 02 Feb 2021, 11:34 am

You don't want to up the magnification,makes it way too hard to find anything
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tubs » 02 Feb 2021, 1:40 pm

The Vortex is FFP so for hunting probably a better option? I also like the fact that it is cheaper.

Note on the Pard manual it says suitable for calibres up to 308.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Feb 2021, 2:30 am

G'day Tubs,
The Vortex is good value for money and will work well within the range limitations of the Pard whilst allowing you to reach out longer in the daylight. Your other 2 choices are also suitable but at higher cost for only marginally better performance. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 03 Feb 2021, 9:33 am

Tubs wrote:The Vortex is FFP so for hunting probably a better option? I also like the fact that it is cheaper.

Note on the Pard manual it says suitable for calibres up to 308.

I have both a Pard 007 and Pard 008. My Pard 007 is mounted behind a Bushnell Rimfire Scope. Generally speaking the Pard 007 will work better with cheaper scopes that have less fancy lenses coatings. Not sure what the Vortex lenses are like.

I don’t think I’d recommend a FFP scope for use with the Pard. Most of time you should be on minimum magnification. As Pard already increases the Magnification by 2.5X. I never use more than 6x to 8x power. I think the FFP reticle will be small on minimum power and probably a bit busy for use with the Pard.

There are plenty of Pard user groups around. That will have more information.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Feb 2021, 9:37 am

After much stuffing around with scopes and discussion with the importer of the Pard night vision gear I bought an Optisan eve 2.5-10×50pi for my 22/250. Absolutely perfect magnification range for the unit and rifle. Also a lot cheaper than any of the above scopes.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tubs » 03 Feb 2021, 9:58 am

bigpete wrote:After much stuffing around with scopes and discussion with the importer of the Pard night vision gear I bought an Optisan eve 2.5-10×50pi for my 22/250. Absolutely perfect magnification range for the unit and rifle. Also a lot cheaper than any of the above scopes.

Who is the importer if u dont mind me asking?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 03 Feb 2021, 11:14 am

Spectra tactical if I remember correctly
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cooper » 03 Feb 2021, 1:36 pm

Tubs wrote:
bigpete wrote:After much stuffing around with scopes and discussion with the importer of the Pard night vision gear I bought an Optisan eve 2.5-10×50pi for my 22/250. Absolutely perfect magnification range for the unit and rifle. Also a lot cheaper than any of the above scopes.

Tubs have you bought the Pard 007 already? There are two models a 12mm and 16mm lense one. They both work the same but the 12mm will give you better field of view.

I prefer the Pard 008. As I reckon it performs a bit better. Not looking through extra lenses. But it is handy that with the Pard 007 that you can just twist it off and go back to the normal scope.

I bought the non range finding Pard 008 and it was a good $300-400 cheaper than the range finder model. I kind of know the ranges I shoot on my place and use it my 204 Ruger which is pretty flat shooting. Anything inside 200 metres is in trouble.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 03 Feb 2021, 7:52 pm

I put the diamond back tactical on a 22-250 great glass for the price. Save some money and spend it on ammo and practice your long range shooting.

As for the Pard i Couldn't comment
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 03 Feb 2021, 9:31 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Tubs,
The Vortex is good value for money and will work well within the range limitations of the Pard whilst allowing you to reach out longer in the daylight. Your other 2 choices are also suitable but at higher cost for only marginally better performance. Cheers.

Hey mate, are you sure about the Vortex? A few others have commented they dont work so well with the Pard...
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Feb 2021, 6:34 am

I may be looking at selling my Optisan soon. While it is a fantastic scope with the pard nv007 I find it makes my rifle too heavy for what I like,and I'm thinking of making my 17hmr my dedicated nv rifle and I definitely don't want a huge scope on that!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tubs » 04 Feb 2021, 8:22 pm

Cooper wrote:
Tubs wrote:

Tubs have you bought the Pard 007 already? There are two models a 12mm and 16mm lense one. They both work the same but the 12mm will give you better field of view.

I prefer the Pard 008. As I reckon it performs a bit better. Not looking through extra lenses. But it is handy that with the Pard 007 that you can just twist it off and go back to the normal scope.

I bought the non range finding Pard 008 and it was a good $300-400 cheaper than the range finder model. I kind of know the ranges I shoot on my place and use it my 204 Ruger which is pretty flat shooting. Anything inside 200 metres is in trouble.

Hey mate, yes I have it, I was given the 16mm one
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Feb 2021, 8:51 pm

The 16mm is what I have and automatically magnifies 1.5x which is why you need low magnification on your scope
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tubs » 04 Feb 2021, 10:33 pm

bigpete wrote:The 16mm is what I have and automatically magnifies 1.5x which is why you need low magnification on your scope

Thanks. Looks like Ill be sticking with the Meopro then.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 05 Feb 2021, 5:32 am

Or buy an optisan like the importer uses and recommends
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by christopher » 31 Jul 2021, 3:18 pm

Tubs wrote:
bigpete wrote:The 16mm is what I have and automatically magnifies 1.5x which is why you need low magnification on your scope

Thanks. Looks like Ill be sticking with the Meopro then.

Tubs, how did you go with scope choice for the 308 pard 007 combo ?
christopher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by christopher » 31 Jul 2021, 3:20 pm

bigpete wrote:I may be looking at selling my Optisan soon. While it is a fantastic scope with the pard nv007 I find it makes my rifle too heavy for what I like,and I'm thinking of making my 17hmr my dedicated nv rifle and I definitely don't want a huge scope on that!

bigpete did you sell the optisan?
christopher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 31 Jul 2021, 7:17 pm

christopher wrote:
bigpete wrote:I may be looking at selling my Optisan soon. While it is a fantastic scope with the pard nv007 I find it makes my rifle too heavy for what I like,and I'm thinking of making my 17hmr my dedicated nv rifle and I definitely don't want a huge scope on that!

bigpete did you sell the optisan?

Yes
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics