Spotting Scope or Bino

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Spotting Scope or Bino

Post by Robin » 14 Feb 2021, 9:18 pm

I am looking for a decent Spotting scope or a pair of Bino's.

Im looking for pros and cons.

What I am wanting them for is so I can see the bullet holes on my target from 100 to 200m and beyond if possible.
I will want to hunt eventually, and If I need a pair of small binos, then I can get a pair specifically for hunting.
Most of the time, I'm shooting at the range.

So my question is, what one would be better the spotting scope or bino and why.

For Spotting scope I have seen VORTEX VODS85A DIAMOND BACK HD SPOTTING SCOPE 20-60X85 WITH ANGLED EYE PIECE, however I haven't looked at it, so I don't know if its any good.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Spotting Scope or Bino

Post by Blr243 » 14 Feb 2021, 10:47 pm

I think you should buy two tools Compact Hunting binos May not cut it on the range ... big binos that suffice on the range will prob B too Bulky in the field If u don’t mind carrying 10 by 40 binos in the bush , that might be ok on the range .. I’m not sure I do bugger all range visits.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 15 Feb 2021, 4:51 am

For target shooting definitely a good quality spotting scope with a good steady tripod. You would have to be very steady to use binos for target shooting. For hunting, then obviously a good pair if binos.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Feb 2021, 6:31 am

Would it be better to upgrade your rifle scope so you can see your bullet holes as you shoot?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 15 Feb 2021, 6:54 am

SCJ429 wrote:Would it be better to upgrade your rifle scope so you can see your bullet holes as you shoot?

If I was a rich man then yes, my scopes are fine, I can see the target with no issues, however at a distance it becomes harder to see where I shot, having a good spotting will allow me to see how well I shot and also I can use it with all my guns.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 15 Feb 2021, 9:02 am

A few years ago I bought a Redfield Rampage 60 x 80 spotting scope. I can highly recommend them. They come with an unlimited, unconditional, transferable lifetime warranty. I can see bullet hits on gongs at 600 yards. The little tripod it comes with is crap though so I took a chance and bought this one off eBay and it’s proven very good though heavy ish but heavy means less vibration.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254207774062
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Feb 2021, 1:58 pm

specificity trumps mediocrity.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Feb 2021, 6:48 pm

Robin wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Would it be better to upgrade your rifle scope so you can see your bullet holes as you shoot?

If I was a rich man then yes, my scopes are fine, I can see the target with no issues, however at a distance it becomes harder to see where I shot, having a good spotting will allow me to see how well I shot and also I can use it with all my guns.

Unfortunately good spotting scopes are expensive, I bought a cheap Bushnell and its performance at 500 metres and beyond is ordinary. You need good conditions to see 30 cal holes. The best spotters I have used are Swarovski and Leica.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 15 Feb 2021, 9:44 pm

My swaro on a low Palma tripod is mind blowing. Rifles are (comparably) transient. Spotters on the other hand can be a gift that just keeps on giving.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 21 Feb 2021, 11:07 am

I ended up getting a NATURE-TREK 20-60x80 SPOTTING SCOPE, and a cheap tripod from amazon, I haven't tested it at the range yet, however I did test it on a oval near me, the subject was a tree about 100m from me the total distance may have been more if you take into count that I was aiming for the top of the tree, I was able to see details on a leaf at 30zoom so I should be able to see bullet holes at the range, I will test it at 200m when I head down to the range next in a few weeks.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Feb 2021, 11:21 am

Just a hint for those who may be in the market for a scope, many bird watchers are very keen about there hobby like we are and some like to have the latest and greatest gear. The result of this is I bought a Kowa scope that originally retailed at $2600 for $500 from a bird watcher due to him updating to the latest model, so keep an eye on such forums and you can find very well looked after 2nd hand scopes at good prices, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics