Bushnell Elite question

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bushnell Elite question

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2021, 4:47 pm

A while back i purchased 2 Bushnell Elite special edition scopes and they have parallax adjustment.
Rifle is a 22lr and a 223 and both only used for hunting.

I've discovered it changes the focus as well. (Didn't know this when purchased) This can be a PITA because if you change the mag from say 4 to 9 I sometimes need to then also change the parallax. (Bugger)

1. Is this normal?
2. Do others use these for hunting?
3. Would I be better off with no parallax adjustment for hunting?

So far they have held zero and are very clear. So happy that way.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 22 Feb 2021, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6641
Victoria

Re: Bushnell Elete question

Post by Larry » 22 Feb 2021, 4:51 pm

Yes that is common and not just with Bushnell. In fact it is why a lot of people new to shooting think that it is a focus adjustment full stop. When adjusted correctly it should be in focus but not always. In reality the difference the parallax adjustment makes will not be critical to any hunting application. unless you have a bet on shooting a rabbit in the eye at 300yrds or more.
Larry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 174
-

Re: Bushnell Elete question

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Feb 2021, 5:13 pm

Adjustable objective (AO) can definitely be a pain when hunting at various ranges, with practice it can become easier to adjust on the fly but ultimately it will always cost you precious seconds.
Its intended to reduce or eliminate parallax induced errors.
I generally set out with my AO focused on a range that I'm expecting to use, typically 50m on rabbits, 100m on roos and 200 on foxes.
Personally it hasn't been enough of a problem for me to want to switch to a fixed objective.

Both my .223 and .243 have AO but I've stuck with a fixed power of 6x for my .22lr as I find it's perfect for its intended use which is rabbits from 25m / 150m
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2151
South Australia

Re: Bushnell Elite question

Post by scoot » 22 Feb 2021, 5:43 pm

I find if the ocular (eyepiece) is adjusted spot on it greatly reduces any variation in "focus" between magnification settings. With the Parrallax set at max use a blank background (sky or wall) to get the reticle crisp when you take a snap view through the scope, not a prolonged view. The parallax becomes less sensitive the farther out you get. As mentioned above just set it roughly where you think you'll need it. If you've got time for the shot, tweak it as necessary. Close range with less than ideal positioning is probably the only time you may notice a problem.
User avatar
scoot
Private
Private
 
Posts: 84
South Australia

Re: Bushnell Elete question

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2021, 6:09 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Adjustable objective (AO) can definitely be a pain when hunting at various ranges, with practice it can become easier to adjust on the fly but ultimately it will always cost you precious seconds.
Its intended to reduce or eliminate parallax induced errors.
I generally set out with my AO focused on a range that I'm expecting to use, typically 50m on rabbits, 100m on roos and 200 on foxes.
Personally it hasn't been enough of a problem for me to want to switch to a fixed objective.

Both my .223 and .243 have AO but I've stuck with a fixed power of 6x for my .22lr as I find it's perfect for its intended use which is rabbits from 25m / 150m


AO absolutely sucks, I prefer side-focus every time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7497
Victoria

Re: Bushnell Elite question

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2021, 6:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:A while back i purchased 2 Bushnell Elite special edition scopes and they have parallax adjustment.
Rifle is a 22lr and a 223 and both only used for hunting.

I've discovered it changes the focus as well. (Didn't know this when purchased) This can be a PITA because if you change the mag from say 4 to 9 I sometimes need to then also change the parallax. (Bugger)

1. Is this normal?
2. Do others use these for hunting?
3. Would I be better off with no parallax adjustment for hunting?

So far they have held zero and are very clear. So happy that way.


I would say it's normal, do you have other scopes that don't exhibit this?
Set the parallax at the zoom and range you intend to make precision shots. When you wind the scope right down for moving, any shots you take are likely to be close enough that it's not going to matter.
For precision shooting you will adjust the parallax for every shot, unless you're varminting a burrow perhaps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7497
Victoria

Re: Bushnell Elite question

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2021, 7:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:A while back i purchased 2 Bushnell Elite special edition scopes and they have parallax adjustment.
Rifle is a 22lr and a 223 and both only used for hunting.

I've discovered it changes the focus as well. (Didn't know this when purchased) This can be a PITA because if you change the mag from say 4 to 9 I sometimes need to then also change the parallax. (Bugger)

1. Is this normal?
2. Do others use these for hunting?
3. Would I be better off with no parallax adjustment for hunting?

So far they have held zero and are very clear. So happy that way.


I would say it's normal, do you have other scopes that don't exhibit this?
Set the parallax at the zoom and range you intend to make precision shots. When you wind the scope right down for moving, any shots you take are likely to be close enough that it's not going to matter.
For precision shooting you will adjust the parallax for every shot, unless you're varminting a burrow perhaps.


My other 3-9s don't have this adjustment.

Yep, been doing that. Just seems to me now I would have been better off without the parallax adjustment. Simpler.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6641
Victoria

Re: Bushnell Elete question

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Feb 2021, 8:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Adjustable objective (AO) can definitely be a pain when hunting at various ranges, with practice it can become easier to adjust on the fly but ultimately it will always cost you precious seconds.
Its intended to reduce or eliminate parallax induced errors.
I generally set out with my AO focused on a range that I'm expecting to use, typically 50m on rabbits, 100m on roos and 200 on foxes.
Personally it hasn't been enough of a problem for me to want to switch to a fixed objective.

Both my .223 and .243 have AO but I've stuck with a fixed power of 6x for my .22lr as I find it's perfect for its intended use which is rabbits from 25m / 150m


AO absolutely sucks, I prefer side-focus every time.


I think I've got my terminology wrong there, both my scopes are adjusted on the side. I thought that was still considered AO ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2151
South Australia

Re: Bushnell Elite question

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2021, 9:13 pm

Adjustable Objective means what it says, the Objective lens turns, very difficult to reach while looking through the scope.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7497
Victoria

Re: Bushnell Elite question

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2021, 12:19 pm

Sooo, had a fiddle with them today. If I set the dial at 100mtrs is in focus from 9x abt 50 to 400 mtrs
4x abt 38 to 400 mtrs

I can make that work. But would not buy another scope with that option.

A sightron 3-9x40 s1 i have:
Is in focus:

3x 15 mtrs to infinity
9x 35 mtrs to infinity
Far superior for hunting.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6641
Victoria


Back to top
 
Return to Scopes, sights and optics