What scope is on your 22LR?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: What scope is on your 22LR?

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Mar 2021, 7:44 pm

Yes on a 22 rf.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 30 Mar 2021, 7:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Shootermick wrote:I’ve got a Leupold 4-12x40 tri moa on my 243. It’s a pretty good scope and suits the 243 well. My thoughts would be that it would be fine on a .22 as it’s not a big bulky scope.
I’d probably opt for a duplex reticle over the tri moa on a rimfire though, simple and you probably won’t need the extra hash marks for the .22 distances you might be shooting.

Does it focus back to .22LR distances though, say 25m or less?

That’s a good point Blade.
And the answer is that I’m not sure as it’s on a 243 and I haven’t tried it. So maybe it’s not suited to closer stuff???
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Mar 2021, 8:02 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yes on a 22 rf.

WMR would be okay, but I wouldn't want a .22LR set at 100m for hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 30 Mar 2021, 9:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
disco stu wrote:I'm just wondering why Oldbloke wouldn't want adjustable paralax? Seems like the sort of thing that can only help, and easy to have it and not use it etc

If it's an AO (adjustable objective) that really is a pain in the arse, very awkward to adjust while sighting, side-focus is very easy.
When I'm walking, or otherwise looking at potential close shots, I have the scope magnification wound right down, so I wind the parallax back to 50m or so, if I'm settled in and looking at longer shots, I wind the magnification up and set the parallax so it's focused on the potential target area.

Parallax is less important at closer distances, and critical at longer ones.

That's what I do also. Parallax and adjustable objective are the same thing-aren't they?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Mar 2021, 9:47 pm

disco stu wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
disco stu wrote:I'm just wondering why Oldbloke wouldn't want adjustable paralax? Seems like the sort of thing that can only help, and easy to have it and not use it etc

If it's an AO (adjustable objective) that really is a pain in the arse, very awkward to adjust while sighting, side-focus is very easy.
When I'm walking, or otherwise looking at potential close shots, I have the scope magnification wound right down, so I wind the parallax back to 50m or so, if I'm settled in and looking at longer shots, I wind the magnification up and set the parallax so it's focused on the potential target area.

Parallax is less important at closer distances, and critical at longer ones.

That's what I do also. Parallax and adjustable objective are the same thing-aren't they?

Sort of, just two different mechanics of adjusting parallax so the reticle is on the same plane as the target. When the parallax is correctly set, you can move your eye position around the scope and the reticle will remain on your point of aim. When not set correctly, moving your head around, you will see the reticle floating around your target.

Probably the worst parallax error I've seen was several minutes. Meaning, that if your eye is not positioned precisely behind the scope, your shot could be actually aimed as much as 100mm from where you believe you are aimed at 100m. Not too big a deal when shooting under 50m, but a major problem as distance increases.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2021, 5:28 am

bladeracer wrote:

But when I set the parallex at say 50 meters long distance is out of focus. (Side parallex) PITA. Only for hunting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 31 Mar 2021, 7:26 am

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

But when I set the parallex at say 50 meters long distance is out of focus. (Side parallex) PITA. Only for hunting.

First, you need to set the parallax to your desired range. Best done on a (bench)rest of some kind so that the rifle remains stationary. Move your eye position relative to the ocular lens and ensure that the reticle remains static on the target. If it doesn't, the parallax will need a tweak until it does. The indication marks on the objective lens, or the "focus" knob if it's on the side, are a guide i.e. they are not always exact.
Then, if the focus (the true focus - not the "so-called" side "focus) is no good you need to adjust the ocular lens i.e. the one nearest your eye.
Be aware that the so-called focus knob, when they are mounted on the side of the tube near the elevation/windage turrets, is actually the parallax adjustment.
Focus is ALWAYS done with the ocular lens.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2021, 7:32 am

No1_49er wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

First, you need to set the parallax to your desired range. Best done on a (bench)rest of some kind so that the rifle remains stationary. Move your eye position relative to the ocular lens and ensure that the reticle remains static on the target. If it doesn't, the parallax will need a tweak until it does. The indication marks on the objective lens, or the "focus" knob if it's on the side, are a guide i.e. they are not always exact.
Then, if the focus (the true focus - not the "so-called" side "focus) is no good you need to adjust the ocular lens i.e. the one nearest your eye.
Be aware that the so-called focus knob, when they are mounted on the side of the tube near the elevation/windage turrets, is actually the parallax adjustment.

Well, well, thanks for that No1. I will give it a go perhaps next week. Sounds like
User error.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 02 Apr 2021, 6:43 pm

M8 6X leupold on one of my Brno mdl 2s, and a Night tech MS 42 thermal on the other....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 25 Apr 2021, 8:01 pm

6x Lynx - all you ever need on a .22 LR

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Billy » 29 Jun 2021, 9:37 pm

So decided on the T1X and have a bushnell Engage 6×25×50 1/8". Any advice on this set-up would be appreciated. Haven't shot it yet as my bipods haven't arrived yet.

Cheers
Billy
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by in2anity » 30 Jun 2021, 11:10 am

Billy wrote:So decided on the T1X and have a bushnell Engage 6×25×50 1/8". Any advice on this set-up would be appreciated. Haven't shot it yet as my bipods haven't arrived yet.

Cheers

big scope for a small gun. the t1x is more a carry rifle than a benchrester. Nevertheless, that scope will be good for benchrest paper-punching.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jun 2021, 12:18 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That’s the opposite to the way I was taught.
First you set the rifle at a clear background (sky or ground or anything so you can see reticle clearly) and tune the ocular focus until the reticle is fully focused and clear.
Then you aim at the target and set the parallax to the target until the target becomes clear. Don’t bother with the distance marks on turret, they are usually a little off.

The ocular focus is used for the reticle not the target

Works for me
Member-Deleted

Post by Barbarian » 02 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm

As others have said, The Leupould Freedom range are good value for money and very light. I’ve got a 3-9x40 sitting on my la101, runs great.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Harronek » 02 Jul 2021, 5:30 pm

My .22lr is used for fun and targets so it gets a target scope , I can dial and use the reticle .Image

If I'm after pests and living critters then the .22 Mag is my tool of choice , no dialing and reticle just good old fashioned " know how " Image
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by hawks667 » 02 Jul 2021, 5:45 pm

Vixen 4-16x44 SF MIL DOT in Warne 1" Rings is on my CZ 457 American..
hawks667
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Larry » 02 Jul 2021, 7:01 pm

Billy wrote:So decided on the T1X and have a bushnell Engage 6×25×50 1/8". Any advice on this set-up would be appreciated. Haven't shot it yet as my bipods haven't arrived yet.

Cheers

I think you will find them a good combination.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by NTSOG » 02 Jul 2021, 7:11 pm

G'day,

I've got a basic BSA 'Special Rimfire' Scope [3-9x32] on my BRNO Model 2. It's fine for my purposes shooting rabbits and basic target practice in the paddock shooting at metal targets at different ranges.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Murph77 » 08 Jul 2021, 10:08 am

I put a Meopta Optica6 2.5-15 x 44 on my .22. 2.5 is good for close range but the zoom to 15x is awesome for shooting paper! And paralax adjustment to 10yards.

I had a Niko Stirling 4-12 on it before but that was just crap! Set paralax at 100. Useless for the .22. Haha
Murph77
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 08 Jul 2021, 10:47 am

I’ve got leupold rimfire specific scopes on my rimfire as they are set up for 65 yard parallax
3-9x40 on my 22 and 22 mag , 2-7x33 on my 94-22 22 lr lever gun

No worries
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 08 Jul 2021, 1:36 pm

Murph77 wrote:I put a Meopta Optica6 2.5-15 x 44 on my .22. 2.5 is good for close range but the zoom to 15x is awesome for shooting paper! And paralax adjustment to 10yards.

I had a Niko Stirling 4-12 on it before but that was just crap! Set paralax at 100. Useless for the .22. Haha

They have very nice glass and exceptional tracking for the price I've just put one aside at the shop for myself very impressed
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 08 Jul 2021, 1:55 pm

S350.JPG
S350.JPG (228.05 KiB) Viewed 4431 times

OOPs I tell a lie, it now has a 100mm thermal for greater optical magnification
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 08 Jul 2021, 6:56 pm

niteowl wrote:
S350.JPG

OOPs I tell a lie, it now has a 100mm thermal for greater optical magnification

That has an ARMS cam lever mount . Very nice . I use them also .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by boingk » 08 Jul 2021, 10:00 pm

Norinco 22LR / Puma JW15. Great little rifle. Wears a 2~7 Leupold, just right.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jul 2021, 12:21 am

On one of my .22 lr's I have a Nikko Stirling Nighteater 6-24 x 56 with parallex adjustment and AO.
One of the original releases, it includes the mildot reticle.
Much maligned by many as never holding zero,,,,,,,,,, I originally had it for several years mounted on a 22/250 with no issues at all re holding zero.
I loved the reticle and the only issue I had was the slanted cut off style on the objective lens which makes it nigh on impossible to fit lens covers.

But, for a 22rf , and cheap price, if you can find a good second hand one of these,,, I'd jump at it.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Matthew9511 » 10 Jul 2021, 2:17 pm

I use an old Tasco 4x28. An old scope for an old rifle.
Matthew9511
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 10 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm

Have a Lynx 6x38 on my own Weihrauch HW66........spot on for a hunting rifle.
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 10 Jul 2021, 5:34 pm

Bushnell Elite 3500 4-12×40 on my .22 Anschutz
Tasco 3x9 on my .22 Umbirti
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jul 2021, 5:43 pm

Actually, this has made me think that I should sell some of mine.
I just don't seem to use this caliber anymore. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Jul 2021, 9:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Actually, this has made me think that I should sell some of mine.
I just don't seem to use this caliber anymore. :thumbsdown:

you don't shoot 22lr anymore mate ? :cry:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics