Double vision in one eye when sighting

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Double vision in one eye when sighting

Post by NTSOG » 03 Mar 2021, 6:10 am

G'day,

I have, as is the case with many older people, cataracts developing in both eyes, but, so far, they don't seem to be causing problems. However over the last year there have been numerous occasions when I have started to see a 'ghost' image either just under or over the horizontal element of the cross hairs in various NV scopes I use when hunting. [The vertical element is not affected.] This seems to be partly fatigue related in that I will start off seeing the cross-hairs very clearly. After a while I start to see a double image and nothing I can do by refocusing the objective or altering my head/eye position makes any difference. At that point I quit as I don't know how accurate my aim would be if I wanted to shoot at a fox. Reading Dr. Google I have discovered that this ghosting effect can be caused by "Dry eye disease" in which "tears aren't able to provide adequate lubrication for your eyes." Apparently the surface of the eye becomes rough and irregular as the tear film along the surface of your eyes dries out. This causes uneven transmission of light. Hence the fainter 'ghost' image just under the main image.

I wonder if any others have had a similar problem? In the mean time I'm off to the optometrist today for a basic review.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Double vision in one eye when sighting

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Mar 2021, 9:01 am

I get dry eye occassionally. But never experienced what is happening to u. Suggest its something else. Eye doc will know.

Optometrist said put a warm, wet cloth over closed eye to help clear the tear duct. Works for me. (They block up with wax)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 03 Mar 2021, 11:29 am

I'm a big believer that the body needs supplements and nutrition for various parts of the body and for the eye I take several herbal supplements that will provide lutein, zeaxanthin, astaxantin, etc. It's all extracts of things like bilberry, marigold flower, saffron, etc. I have taken them on and off for years but in the past few years have taken them on a weekly basis. All I can say is I notice the difference when I do not and my eye doctor when he looks inside my eye, always remarks how healthy my eyes look for my age. My prescription hasn't changed for 30 years. Bilberry was first noticed for it's effects during WW2 by British aviators doing night missions. I find when I take it sharpens my vision.

I don't see these things as a magic cure but rather giving the body extra things it might need to function better, especially as we age and endure wear and tear.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 03 Mar 2021, 2:09 pm

astigmatism
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 03 Mar 2021, 5:11 pm

Welcome to the club
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 03 Mar 2021, 6:36 pm

G'day All,

Well the optometrist says the cataracts are not the issue, though she will be watching their development over the next few years. She confirmed I have Dry Eye Disease, or keratoconjunctivitis sicca:

"Dry eye disease affects one in five adults, and can significantly impair quality of life. Most patients have mild disease."

The optometrist used "sodium fluorescein drops under cobalt blue light" to test the time it took after blinking for the tears in my eyes to break up. A tear break-up time less than 10 seconds indicates tear film instability, and a measurement less than five seconds diagnoses dry eye disease. She said the tears in my eyes lasted about one second. That's why I feel like I have fine grit in both eyes.

I have to use drops [Hylo-Forte - over the counter from the chemist] 4+ times a day and, to quote a famous 'practitioner' on this site [Oldbloke], "put a warm, wet cloth over closed eye[s] to help clear the tear duct" and then massage the ducts.

The optometrist stated that eye fatigue is an issue which explains why I can start out seeing clearly, but then my vision deteriorates.

This getting old is getting very old!

Jim

Here's a reference: https://www.nps.org.au/australian-presc ... n-to-refer
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics