Anyone have experience with iray thermal?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Anyone have experience with iray thermal?

Post by anotherben » 25 May 2021, 1:19 pm

Good stuff mate. I have to say I don't think I've ever been as excited to order a scope as when I ordered my GSCI one, its been on the radar for a very long time. Either it'll meet my expectations or Ian has let me down... one of the two ;)

I can't wait to get it out and play with it and start doing some reviews with it.
anotherben
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by scoot » 25 May 2021, 1:43 pm

Yea look I can't tell you either way since it's my first foray into thermal. Ian seems like a straight shooter though. :P
Ha see what I did there. Honestly though I don't think he'd B.S. and has a lot of experience. The nightowl is quite knowledgeable too.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by brinny » 25 May 2021, 7:46 pm

scoot wrote:Yea look I can't tell you either way since it's my first foray into thermal. Ian seems like a straight shooter though. :P
Ha see what I did there. Honestly though I don't think he'd B.S. and has a lot of experience. The nightowl is quite knowledgeable too.

They are good....and i dont BS mate.....I would never do that to anyone......
Last edited by brinny on 26 May 2021, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by anotherben » 25 May 2021, 8:27 pm

My comment was purely tongue in cheek, there are very few people in this shooting world that have the integrity that Ian does.
anotherben
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bill » 25 May 2021, 8:47 pm

A mate of mine has shot around 4000 deer with his Pulsar XP50 over the last 4-5 years, no issues apart from the rubber ring on the eye piece which is a bit frazzled, probably been in his truck and thrown around over 200 times. It gets the job done :drinks: it paid for itself in the first month of shooting.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 25 May 2021, 8:58 pm

Averaging 2+ deer a day, every day for 5 yrs.
Must be like that 3 metre flatty. I caught once :roll:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bill » 25 May 2021, 10:05 pm

scoot wrote:Averaging 2+ deer a day, every day for 5 yrs.

I guess you've never seen what a pro shooter does for a living when they shoot in deer rich country. :thumbsup:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 26 May 2021, 8:10 pm

Bill wrote:
scoot wrote:Averaging 2+ deer a day, every day for 5 yrs.

I guess you've never seen what a pro shooter does for a living when they shoot in deer rich country. :thumbsup:

How good is a pro when it isn't deer rich?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 26 May 2021, 9:44 pm

no idea Chuck, only thing I do know is the Pulsar has got runs on the board in terms of reliability cause my mate is rough as with his gear. Back end of the recent drought meant Deer prices were real good compared to roo's and they were a real problem under pivots. These days roo's are paying double (protein shortage) what they use to be and its a hell of a lot less work filling a shipping container with them. I guess the concept of a tray full of deer is a foreign concept to most :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 08 May 2022, 8:01 pm

Considering the Infiray monocular to enhance my current thermal setup. Can’t walk around all night using rifle for scanning so I think I’ll invest in a monocular.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2022, 8:38 pm

I think I did two hunts scanning with a thermal rifle ...on the second hunt I knew I had to buy some binos or a scanner. I now know that I probably scan ten times as much as I used to because physically it’s so much easier .....and when on a quad bike I can scan often at sensible speeds safely 180 degrees. No way in hell would I attempt that with a rifle , I would probably crash in the first 100 metres .....I think it’s super important with a thermal scanner or binos to hang it from your neck . Not only does easy acces promote lots of scanning but equipment is so easy to put down and be accidentally forgotten in the dark ...I can’t afford to leave 7000 dollar binos on the front rack of my quad, or on my bonnet, and drive off. That would make me cry
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 09 May 2022, 6:45 am

Blr243 wrote:I think I did two hunts scanning with a thermal rifle ...on the second hunt I knew I had to buy some binos or a scanner. I now know that I probably scan ten times as much as I used to because physically it’s so much easier .....and when on a quad bike I can scan often at sensible speeds safely 180 degrees. No way in hell would I attempt that with a rifle , I would probably crash in the first 100 metres .....I think it’s super important with a thermal scanner or binos to hang it from your neck . Not only does easy acces promote lots of scanning but equipment is so easy to put down and be accidentally forgotten in the dark ...I can’t afford to leave 7000 dollar binos on the front rack of my quad, or on my bonnet, and drive off. That would make me cry

Mate out of curiosity what monocular did you end up getting.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 11 May 2022, 6:58 am

Well I pulled the trigger on an Infiray monocular.
I have a higher end thermal scope so didn’t want to go over the top with a monocular. For the price point I think it is ok. In saying that I have just piss farted about with it at home as this rain is preventing my departure for my hunting trip.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 May 2022, 8:49 am

Sorry j t. I missed your question. I bought pulsar x p 5 o. Binos Spending not too much on a monocular will probably b totally fine for u. If it detects an animal that u are uncertain about u can always check it with your rifle before deciding to stalk closer ....the specs on my scope is suposed to be exactly the same as my Binos but at extreme range for some reason my scope offers a better iimage so dozens of times I have used my scope to verify the animal. Good luck with the rain goin away so u can get away for a hunt ..rain is giving me a hard time in bris at the moment stopping me from goin to work but I’m not too keen to go working anyway enjoying a break
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 11 May 2022, 12:59 pm

Yeah mate, I think this monocular will be fine, after all, as you said I am just using it for detection anyways. Can always confirm with the scope when needed.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics