223 Scope decision making

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

223 Scope decision making

Post by Gez27 » 02 May 2021, 3:20 am

I'm getting a new 223 rifle and im having trouble deciding between two scope options.

The two im looking at are a steiner GS3 2-10x42 with a 4A or S1 reticle, and a Zeiss conquest V4 3-12x44 illuminated reticle 91 (a christmas tree type reticle).

I feel a 2-10 would be plenty for a knockaround 223 for hunting pests, but maybe the extra zoom and illumination would be nice for quality of life. Quality wise they both seem to stack up similarly.
Gez27
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 223 Scope decision making

Post by GQshayne » 02 May 2021, 9:15 pm

Both would likely do a good job, so personal preference will be important. As an example, I do not like "fussy" reticles on a hunting scope, so that would put me off. In low light conditions the illuminated reticle is nice though. I have found you may be able to see your target, but the crosshairs can be hard to see. Illumination is great in this circumstance.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 May 2021, 9:20 pm

my personal choice , leupold 4.5-14 x40 vx3i . compact, light, great glass qaulity . on dusk you can see more through the scope than with the naked eye
loopy's are my bench mark anything more expensive my eyes can't really tell the difference :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 May 2021, 7:35 am

I’m with you bigrich, sure you can spend more on the top end optics and of course they’re great, but to be honest I reckon a good Leupold or Meopta will also do a great job for much less dollars. Of course if money is no factor then go top end for sure.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bello » 03 May 2021, 11:01 am

Hi Mate
My 223 is my go to calbre.
I have tried different scopes on them.
I like the Leupold for an all round good scope and price point.
Leupold also repair the scopes in QLD if you were to damage it.
I also like scopes with a bit more magnification. Thats just my personal preference.
Happy hunting :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gez27 » 03 May 2021, 1:45 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Meopta and Leupold definitely would do a good job as well, i remember being super impressed by my mates optika 6. I've found a good deal for a Steiner GS3 3-15x50 with the S1 reticle and think I'm going with that. Should be something ill be happy with long term with a bit of hold over markings but not a cluttered reticle by any means.

Appreciate the insights.
Gez27
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 May 2021, 2:20 pm

Well done mate. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bman940 » 04 May 2021, 12:13 am

I have been doing some freelance work with Meopta for over 2 years after 10+ years with another optics company and I can assure you, your money goes a lot farther with Meopta than anywhere else. I have been truly impressed with their quality control and optical glass manufacturing capabilities. I have hunted with or shot almost all of their riflescopes and purchased a number of Optika5/6's. The features are impressive and won't leave you wanting more. There's a reason they are hard to find, they are snapped up as soon as they arrive. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by leo » 05 May 2021, 4:43 pm

have you looked at the vortex blazer gen 3 1x10
leo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 05 May 2021, 8:42 pm

bman940 wrote:I have been doing some freelance work with Meopta for over 2 years after 10+ years with another optics company and I can assure you, your money goes a lot farther with Meopta than anywhere else. I have been truly impressed with their quality control and optical glass manufacturing capabilities. I have hunted with or shot almost all of their riflescopes and purchased a number of Optika5/6's. The features are impressive and won't leave you wanting more. There's a reason they are hard to find, they are snapped up as soon as they arrive. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Hi Man,
I am a big fan of the Meopta brand and have used the Meopro, Meostar and ZD series scopes - the ZD is a cracking scope and matches it with scopes twice its price.

The new Optika i havent had the chance to look at but hope to do so soon
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics