"Flash in the Pan" PARD sights.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: "Flash in the Pan" PARD sights.

Post by scoot » 16 May 2021, 9:12 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnnyPn1Hjc
This is a link for a pommy airgun tuber that does a direct comparison between the pard and sytong dedicated scopes. He has another for the clipon also. Short of it is, same same but different.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 17 May 2021, 6:52 am

Blr243: "I had a look at the inomount thing for a pard after I heard the pard mounts were a tad slack."

It took a small piece of aluminium soft drink can to true up the mount for my PARD on the picatinny base and another shim to get elevation sorted so the reticle is about centred, but the other worry is the reported weakness of the two cross bolts and the 'jaws' which lock the mount in place. I understand quite a few bolts have broken. No specification for tightening with a torque wrench is given so I have mine [carefully!!!] tightened to about 15 in pds. That's probably alright on a .22 magnum, but might not be sufficient on a more powerful rifle.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 May 2021, 3:18 pm

NTSOG wrote: I understand quite a few bolts have broken. No specification for tightening with a torque wrench is given so I have mine [carefully!!!] tightened to about 15 in pds. That's probably alright on a .22 magnum, but might not be sufficient on a more powerful rifle.

Jim

I was talking to the gent that owns the Mechanical repair place I have known for years,, only last week, when he mentioned bolts.
He is thoroughly p!ssed off at the quality of bolts now on offer in Australia.
He says it's damm near impossible to get good quality/reliability anymore.
One of the biggest problems apart from a lack of tensile strength he says is,, that the hex head flats actually taper so that a ring spanner or socket
will tend to rise upward as tension is applied with the result of slipping off.

To demonstrate, he got a "new" bolt out of a box and held it upright,,,, and when looking closely I could see that what he said was correct.

Praps the bolts out of the PARD mounts could be replaced with better quality,, ie: Made in USA or England as opposed to China ?????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by ratpaker » 17 May 2021, 5:46 pm

Got plenty of spare bolts if anyone needs them.
They are only a few dollars if I remember correctly.
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 17 May 2021, 9:34 pm

Dang and I got mine a refurb unit for 600 bucks last year... winning
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 May 2021, 12:42 am

cz515 wrote:Dang and I got mine a refurb unit for 600 bucks last year... winning

I got mine for 400 2 years ago. Can't go past that price really lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 18 May 2021, 5:08 pm

Darn, was that used or direct import from China.

What's funny is the 2021 model has gone up by 100% all the while AUD has gone better by 20%.... things including firearms should be cheaper (excluded stuff that comes via containers)
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 15 Jun 2021, 9:50 pm

If you've already got good quality thermal sights - why would you be even considering a cheap NV scope?

Fwiw - I picked up a second hand pulsar Digex for cheaper than a new Pard. Seems to be working just fine.
And battery life isnt an issue if you throw a few spare batteries in your pocket.

But I think it will be time soon to grab a thermal spotter...
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 15 Jun 2021, 10:27 pm

The pard nv008p lrf can be used during day and night. It also has laser range finder and doesn't white out like the pulsar. The image quality to 200m with a good IR in the open is better than a thermal. Also they come with cheap 18650 batteries.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 16 Jun 2021, 5:49 pm

mchughcb wrote:The pard nv008p lrf can be used during day and night. It also has laser range finder and doesn't white out like the pulsar. The image quality to 200m with a good IR in the open is better than a thermal. Also they come with cheap 18650 batteries.

Do people not realise that the light on the pulsar is adjustable..?
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 16 Jun 2021, 8:52 pm

Vicko wrote:
mchughcb wrote:The pard nv008p lrf can be used during day and night. It also has laser range finder and doesn't white out like the pulsar. The image quality to 200m with a good IR in the open is better than a thermal. Also they come with cheap 18650 batteries.

Do people not realise that the light on the pulsar is adjustable..?

My guess is those people do, given they sell them and use them and come with the same conclusion.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 16 Jun 2021, 10:06 pm

Maybe I've been talking to different people then...
The two advantages the Pard has over the Digex is daytime colour and rangefinding if you opt for it.
Otherwise the image in the pard isn't as good... theres a stack of after market options for better IR torches of you need more adjustability than the OEM one that comes with the Digex.
I only have issues with mine when I'm in amongst trees. And I don't use it in amongst trees... so...
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 16 Jun 2021, 11:03 pm

Other advantages include

1. Price
2. Weight
3. Battery
4. Integrated IR
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 12 Jul 2021, 8:12 am

The Pard gives an excellent picture and it takes a lot to white out.

https://youtu.be/UMw0d-ptKQw
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 21 Nov 2021, 9:29 am

A bit of a revival on a thread.
I have a PARD08 and have it fitted to 17 cal firearm. I am usually a spotlight person and avoid a full moon like the plague. I do not have the range finder on it and I do have a external Wolfeyes IR light mounted to it.
I took it out recently on a full moon night just for the ease of walking around. No white light required. I have a property that has lots of bush and shoot wallaby under permit.
Not often that I run out of ammunition during a shoot. I took an old camera tripod that I modified a little as a rifle rest. It was a sit and shoot night along a fence line. The following day I borrowed a range finder and a GPS to see how far some of those shots were.
On my longest shot, 278m, the picture was not clear but body shape was definite and eye shine was my main POA. I love this unit for the price tag. I was thinking that the picture was a bit fuzzy but when I found that I was looking at near 300m, I can live with it. The wallaby are very conscious of a spotlight and are flighty. The noise of the 17 was not a issue and I just kept looking along the fence line and only stopped when I ran out of ammo. There were more than a few misses due to my part and I think with that IR light, 250m would be more a realistic max range for that set up.
The PARD08 works fine. If I was going to do it again I would do the 07 just because I could change rifles quickly and easy. A mate has a thermal as a clip on and I like how he can just clip and shoot. I have used the thermal in a very limited manner and I think it is horses for courses. They both have their limitations. Having the PARD as a daytime scope as well is a definite bonus.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 21 Nov 2021, 7:18 pm

Still using my Pard and I see there is now a Sytong and Owl. The owl unit looks okay too.

The Sniper Hog Light will give a good range.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ratpaker » 24 Nov 2021, 5:45 am

mchughcb wrote:Still using my Pard and I see there is now a Sytong and Owl. The owl unit looks okay too.

As a now ex retailer of pard gear I can honestly say I still love my pard units.
I use my 17 hornet with a pard 008lrf on it regularly and have very good results on foxes out to 200 meters plus.
The 007 model gets some use on my fx air rifle on rabbits but it honestly would do the job on a larger more powerful outfit if needed.
Pard Australia have the sole rights to distribution of pard gear now and for whatever reason the prices have risen considerably.
I've heard that owl nv are also made in the same factory as pard but can't confirm that, they certainly are better priced than pard are currently and from people using them they sound like a good thing.
Certainly a lot more options in Australia now compared to 12 months ago in the night vision and thermal market.
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Nov 2021, 7:32 pm

ratpaker wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Still using my Pard and I see there is now a Sytong and Owl. The owl unit looks okay too.

As a now ex retailer of pard gear I can honestly say I still love my pard units.
I use my 17 hornet with a pard 008lrf on it regularly and have very good results on foxes out to 200 meters plus.
The 007 model gets some use on my fx air rifle on rabbits but it honestly would do the job on a larger more powerful outfit if needed.
Pard Australia have the sole rights to distribution of pard gear now and for whatever reason the prices have risen considerably.
I've heard that owl nv are also made in the same factory as pard but can't confirm that, they certainly are better priced than pard are currently and from people using them they sound like a good thing.
Certainly a lot more options in Australia now compared to 12 months ago in the night vision and thermal market.

I bought an NV007, and a mate has the NV008 which we bought off Ratpaker. We have had them for over 18 months and we both like our respective choices. The Pards work well and were excellent value at the prices charged by Ratpaker and his partner. Given the price hike by Pard, there are better value options available now. I think the Sightmark Wraith looks pretty good. I now also have an ATN 4k Pro with an ABL range finder which I really like. I use the NV007 on my rimfires, and it works really well on those. The IR products need good IR illuminators. I will be buying a thermal monocular soon. I think an IR scope and a thermal monocular is a good combination.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 27 Nov 2021, 6:58 am

The price hike on pard gear has been ridiculous, now they're pretty well pricing themselves out of the market afaic
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 27 Nov 2021, 9:10 am

You never know. They might price themselves out of the cheap end into more expensive end. A bit of marketing.

Plus we all know how doing had gone up :sarcasm:
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics