Something to be said for good quality Thermal

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Something to be said for good quality Thermal

Post by Die Judicii » 20 May 2021, 12:56 am

Tonight whilst sitting out in the cold and the near 50 % moonlight,,,,
I was scanning across a paddock, and whilst looking through underneath a large tree I saw what appeared to be a small meteorite falling vertically.

Turned out it wasn't a meteorite,,,,,

Looking upward into the tree I saw a possum,,,,, that had obviously just had a sh!t.
The thermal binocs picked it and its heat up as it fell.

I wonder how many people have seen something like that ???
:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Something to be said for good quality Thermal

Post by ZaineB » 20 May 2021, 3:05 am

haha this is why we do what we do haha
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Blr243 » 20 May 2021, 6:13 am

I have seen patches of heat on the ground from where an animal has been sitting. Warm urine on the ground and warm poo ( not mine ) ..., and while on my quad bike occasionally I will spin 180 degrees to re check something behind me and I will see my wheel tracks because of the heat Left by the tyres .... possum poo not yet but I’ll work on that one
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 20 May 2021, 7:15 am

Blr243: "I have seen patches of heat on the ground from where an animal has been sitting."

I was out the back the other night sitting on a section of tree stump; I have various such 'seats' scattered around at various places where I can sit and observe. I take a piece of old foam rubber on which to sit as my bony backside doesn't like rough, raw wood for long periods. I walked about 100 yards and scanned back to check if there were any 'customers' coming and noted a red glow [through my basic thermal monocular] on the top of the tree stump. There's no doubt that even the basic thermal viewers have been a boon in allowing spotting of even small game game further out without giving away one's own presence.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 20 May 2021, 7:49 am

Die Judicii wrote:Tonight whilst sitting out in the cold and the near 50 % moonlight,,,,
I was scanning across a paddock, and whilst looking through underneath a large tree I saw what appeared to be a small meteorite falling vertically.

Turned out it wasn't a meteorite,,,,,

Looking upward into the tree I saw a possum,,,,, that had obviously just had a sh!t.
The thermal binocs picked it and its heat up as it fell.

I wonder how many people have seen something like that ???
:unknown:

You have a unique thread starter there Judi. I reckon you would be a funny bloke to hang out with.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 20 May 2021, 8:20 am

Mice. We have seen paddocks with bright spots everywhere. Looks like a sea of stars on the ground.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 May 2021, 9:07 am

You must have a 's**t' spotting scope there. :D
Sorry had to say it
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 May 2021, 5:49 pm

Pete’s comment about mice has geared me into thinking I really gotta get away. Lots of talk of mice out bush atm. I would love to see a sea of stars on the ground
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 20 May 2021, 7:12 pm

I was out a while ago and was watching 4 Red stags that were pretty close out in the paddock......could clearly see one having a leak as i was watching them.....i was recording them as well....if i can find the footage ill put it up....

Found it....had to put it on youtube to put it up....watch the stag on the right....the one in the middle wanders off to the left having a piss as well....

https://youtu.be/PJlUvpW6IbI
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 May 2021, 7:51 pm

Cool vid. It annoys me a bit the way some animals look at me at night when I’m trying to approach them secretly. I despise starlight with a passion. I stopped hunting with any sort of moonlight because of it ... now I pick the darkest 7 nights of the month and avoid Hunting anything else ....I have good success with pigs doing this but when I’m Thermal scanning deer or foxes I see them looking right back at me. From their body language and focus it looks like they are so onto me and it’s as if they are not struggling at all in the dark to identify me .....another example is when I had a rearward faceing torch mounted on the back of my wolfhounds back and I let her off the Ute to chase mobs of pigs....I would be running behind with a good headlamp and doin my best to avoid hazards and holes and logs and fences etc .... but By watching the torch on her back I could see she would be running flat stick thru the scrub and never getting hurt because she could see where she was going just fine. We should never, ever underestimate the night vision capabilities of a lot of the game we pursue.....They are Very comfortable And very much “at home” , in the dark.....compared to them , our night vision is pathetic
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by anotherben » 24 May 2021, 7:25 am

I was taking some footage of our horses and one decided to let rip and another take a long golden shower :). I love getting out at night and just watching nature with the thermal, its awesome.
anotherben
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 May 2021, 8:52 pm

anotherben wrote:I was taking some footage of our horses and one decided to let rip and another take a long golden shower :). I love getting out at night and just watching nature with the thermal, its awesome.

Ha Ha,, I know what u mean,,,,,, but some people might say your a bit warped. :lol: :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics